• Saturday 13 April
    • Sunday 14 April
    • Saturday 27 April
    • Sunday 28 April
    • Saturday 4 May
    • Sunday 5 May
    • Saturday 18 May
    • Sunday 19 May

I've got loads of offcuts of ply from getting the shed lining wood cut; after all if I've paid for the offcuts I might as well have them.

First plan I have is a 12ft long "mini Dave" of three 4ft x 12" sections, two being a single track to twin track 4ft each end and a 4ft plain twin track board for the middle.  The idea being that if we have all single track modules then it's a passing loop, if we have a couple of twin track modules then they can go either end and fit a twin track into a single track module effectively.  The three boards all work as individual boards that can also be spread out amongst the modules to convert single to double (in either direction) as well as a single 12ft module.

I'm also going to look at a couple of single and single to double curved sections which will of course help to extend the run as ideally we would have an S shape overall with at least one junction giving a branch off to somewhere for something.  

I also plan to work on a small "Lyme Regis-ish" terminus as my own layout over the coming months, which will be built to Dave standards anyway and will hopefully end up as part of our final project - although I'm not quite sure yet what junction we'll need.  Hopefully as modules come in we'll be able to identify gaps and maybe there will be volunteers to build extra modules.

Just frustrating that the shed is so damn hot to do any more than 5 minutes of work at a time!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Your planned modules sound very useful.

I had something similar in mind but very happy to construct anything you find useful. But give me some warning as I will be away for most of January.

I will definitely do some curved modules as they are certain to be handy for other projects.

I think the message should be build what you like, and ideally something you might be able to use in another context.

Absolutely.  Something that might only get used once or twice a year is potentially wasteful unless it's literally plain track.  However as organiser I feel certain responsibilities to make everything "function" and if that means some extra boards that aren't useful as part of my current home project then they might at some other point.  For example, if my 12ft fiddle yard is erected at home then it's no use, however in 8ft mode (missing the last board) it gives me enough length to use the 'curved boards' that I am making as well to then connect to an 8ft terminus module, and all fit nicely in the shed.  So that's one standalone 8ft layout module, four curved boards that might be used occasionally, and a fiddle yard that might also only be used once or twice a year.  Ultimately, that works for me as a standalone layout, and the bits are individually useful in a modular concept.

As long as the end(s) of any existing layout(s) - with or without converter boards - match "the standards" then even if you need to make a second set of legs, something can become modular.

• RMweb Gold

forms sent :) Looking forward to incorporating Tidworth into the mix... looks like we'll need a couple of junctions as I might have a terminus too by then.

Well I have one if we can live with the US track ;)

• RMweb Premium

Forms sent Chris, you have a year so I'm sure you can manage a module.  Even a 4ft long, straight single track module with a bit of scenery is helpful as few people build 'plain boards', most have a purpose ie are a station, or a junction, or a siding or whatever.

You know you can do this, as long as the board is straight, flat and the track is wired and at the right height - scenery is a bonus in many ways and last time only about a quarter of what came was scenically complete.  Refresh yourself with the standards thread, grab some banana sockets off of Ebay, and I reckon you could get something together in a weekend once you've got the wood cut.  It's one of the reasons we've got a date 11 months in advance, to give people time to build something.

Not having any DCC locos isn't really an issue, of course on a straight plain board DC and DCC wiring (ie one wire to each rail) are exactly the same anyway so this could even be used as part of your own home layout; several of the modules I'll be bringing are part of my home layout but with setrack curves in the hidden sections at home as they take up less space, and replacement curved boards with wider radius curves to the standards for use when I have a space bigger than my shed (they are simply plain track curves so it doesn't make any difference overall).

I'm also looking at "Mini-Dave" for 10" wide single track boards, that are simply used for extending straight runs, and take up a lot less space.  Obviously they're less stable than 18" wide boards however inbetween standard boards they'll be fine.  One of those is even easier to build :)

Perhaps you could build a module that also doubles as a photographic plank?

Ummm …… perhaps ……

I can't do anything modular which will fit into my last great project, but as I haven't got planning permission for that yet anyway, and am getting a bit bored ….

Would 2 modules like this fit into any scheme you're thinking of?

post-6206-0-89138400-1530821635_thumb.jpg

Just like this it might represent a passing loop, maybe a station, on a recently singled line, with buffers on the stubs from the crossovers; or

post-6206-0-56331000-1530821953_thumb.jpg

with the crossovers at the inside ends it could sandwich someone else's double track station with a bit of a yard.

Any good?

Chris

• Like 2

Just about to send forms.

I have set myself an ambitious programme and suspect that the scenics may be a bit basic!

At our last meet we had one board with a coat of green paint representing fields along the line, so there's nothing wrong with that at all :)  Looking forward to hearing about your contributions.

Any good?

Perfect :) Curves are always useful anyway, and although the "single track joining" offset you picture in green isn't strictly within the standards - it's fine as far as I'm concerned.  I have a similar "passing loop" in mind although it's with single to double on each of the two boards so they can fit together as a passing loop, or as part of a single/double conversion with other modules between the two.  Keep us informed of your progess, and feel free to start a separate thread in this modular subforum about it.

Well I have one if we can live with the US track ;)

I don't see that being a particular issue, as long as the rest of it looks vaguely British.  Code 75, 83 or 100 (or handbuilt) track are all perfectly acceptable.

I've spent this evening drawing lines on some plywood and cutting a space to make the bridge, but it's all ground to a halt this evening as my PVA glue is 2 years out of date and a solid lump.  A trip to Wickes in the morning will be in order and then I can carry on building the framework - and, of course, in this heat in the shed it'll probably dry within the hour.  I'll be starting a thread about mine.

Edited by cromptonnut

• RMweb Premium

Yes build to the double track spec and there's no reason you can't slew them across to use just one through line ;)

That was my thinking, so it could form a 90 degree curve for double or single track.

• RMweb Premium

I've been trying to get up to speed, including reading the original Andy York thread - up to page 39 so far, and remembering why I stopped following it earlier than that back in the day ….. :sungum:  :onthequiet:  :angel:  :boast:  :beee:  :no:

Amidst it all I spotted that when the SECAG(+) group finally got something going (against all the odds!) you decided to settle on single track, and am wondering, seeing as I'm starting from scratch, if you're thinking of going this way again?  I do note Ludgershall Bridge is single …..

Chris

Edit - I've now read the lot.  And I'm still in …..

Edited by Chimer

Hi Chimer

So far we have a mixture of single and double track modules offered, and a junction, so I'm sure - as with most modular things - it'll be completely different this time.

The prototype Ludgershall Bridge is single track in the period I'm doing it so the module is, most of my modules are single track as they were last time - but I have plans for a few doubles to add into the mix as well so hopefully we'll get a chance to test double track this time.  It only took 3 years :)

Look forward to receiving your forms.

'Nut

A little progress update for you all.  These are the modules so far submitted with a few still awaiting form returns.

post-8328-0-08227000-1531394725_thumb.jpg

By Christmas I hope to be able to send out a "help needed" list looking for volunteers to build any extra straight or curved modules that we may need to make full use of the hall.

Edited by cromptonnut
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A little progress update for you all.  These are the modules so far submitted with a few still awaiting form returns.

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

By Christmas I hope to be able to send out a "help needed" list looking for volunteers to build any extra straight or curved modules that we may need to make full use of the hall.

Have you not got my e-mail with forms attached?

Apologies Joseph, just looked and I do have them, I was on holiday when they arrived so I flagged it to deal with when I returned and obviously forgot.  I'll update my end now.

Hadn't realised you had submitted so many forms!  I'll redo the list when I've added all the modules to the plan...

Edited by cromptonnut