Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

Another surprise and excellent news from Hattons. Certainly a bold move and a great price too. At least we’ve got some time to start saving up for them. I’ll be keeping the vast majority of 66’s I’ve already got but a few can move on to make some room.

Thanks

Mark

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

30 is quite some statement, but even 500 of each is 15,000 models.. no factory can turn out that capacity in a single shift, so i’d venture they are going to be delivered in several chunks. Even then 2019 may be tough for other retailers products off the production line as this will take over a few slots... for example if the 14 car APT is happening to be coming off the same factory floor at the same time period.. it could be slim pickings for other commissioners !

However given the price, and the classes overwhelming popularity, i’d Imagine this will sell well, and beyond.

Who knows Hattons may even enter the fray as supplier if another shop offered the pennies to do an exclusive edition of their own.

Two-Three years ago we had this talk of levelling playing fields for all retailers and ending box-shifting domination of the market place, I think the major retailers have gotten their act together quite well.

What next.. a Black 5 or an 8f ?

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

Now that is how one makes an announcement!

Could someone please direct it to the attention of the folk at Margate?

What folk in Margate?

If it's the one's I think you mean, they moved elsewhere a few years ago.

As Hatton's quite rightly have gone for the popular standard liveries, I wonder if Bachmann will spring into action with an imminent ltd edition 66789 (Large Logo) and 66783 (Flying Dustman) or whether they will abandon the Class 66 altogether....

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

I was tipped off about this a few months back off the back of another announcement but sworn to secrecy, certainly gonna get an order in for a Colas one to start with, don’t forget you can get a ‘big jim’ driver for it from Alan at modelu

• Like 6

I would love to be a fly on the wall in the Hornby office today.  Their own announcement is largely received with a combination of indifference and disappointment.

Yet here we have one of their biggest customers teaching them how to really create some excitement.

A very impressive line up and a bullish stance from Hattons - good luck to them.

After all the hype of the last week it's all a bit embarrassing for Simon Kohler and the team in Sandwich.  I guess this is what happens when you overplay your hand.

A fully updated Class 86 in ALL its variants please ;)

I said the same thing on one of the Hornby threads along the lines of please re-tool the Class 86 or if you don't have the stomach then I hope someone else does, I was promptly shot down by the fanboy's...over to you Hatton's  :sungum:

As Hatton's quite rightly have gone for the popular standard liveries, I wonder if Bachmann will spring into action with an imminent ltd edition 66789 (Large Logo) and 66783 (Flying Dustman) or whether they will abandon the Class 66 altogether....

If the Bachmann 66 continues to sell then I imagine they will still produce it. Bachmann for ages still made their A4 model, despite Hornby having brought out a much updated version. If it does sell then Bachmann will still make it. I think they might drop the price just to undercut hattons, which might expose some of the price rises seen recently.

However, of note is the liveries for the Hattons one are a lot of standard version machines. As a result have they not got the licence to produce some of the special commission liveries and perhaps cant while Bachmann held the rights to produce the model of that machine. If so, we could be in for a wait for the likes of some of the popular 66s and it might be wise not to dispose of some of the rare and popular machines as they might not be made quickly by Hattons.

Its an educated guess, but think might be onto something with that theory...

• Like 1

If the Bachmann 66 continues to sell then I imagine they will still produce it. Bachmann for ages still made their A4 model, despite Hornby having brought out a much updated version. If it does sell then Bachmann will still make it. I think they might drop the price just to undercut hattons, which might expose some of the price rises seen recently.

However, of note is the liveries for the Hattons one are a lot of standard version machines. As a result have they not got the licence to produce some of the special commission liveries and perhaps cant while Bachmann held the rights to produce the model of that machine. If so, we could be in for a wait for the likes of some of the popular 66s and it might be wise not to dispose of some of the rare and popular machines as they might not be made quickly by Hattons.

Its an educated guess, but think might be onto something with that theory...

This is why I will be keeping all my Bachmann 66 Limited Editions and just selling off my 2 standard DRS & Colas 66's which I will replace with the Hatton's versions.

An upgrade well and truly overdue for this model. And a great surprise. Be interesting to understsnd the quantity of each variant as a flood like this surely will not sell, lots of Class 68s from the second run still about. A good range of liveries but surprised as previously stated there are no celebrities listed...see still lots of Bachmann EWS liveries ones from the last release still available I wonder whether these will sell !

Edited by martin_l_jones

• RMweb Premium

However, of note is the liveries for the Hattons one are a lot of standard version machines. As a result have they not got the licence to produce some of the special commission liveries and perhaps cant while Bachmann held the rights to produce the model of that machine.

No worries. At the rate that GBRf seem to be chucking out new liveries, I reckon there'll be more than enough for Hattons to do some Limited Editions.

Then of course there is the Freightliner rebranding to come.

• RMweb Premium

Now that's how to do an announcement!

Well done Hattons. Great selection, surely the definitive 66 and as your competitors head to £200 and good price too, considering the specification. Also good to see you are not abandoning analogue users , so I can change the lights with a finger switch. as close to Digital as I'm likely to get!

A resounding well done !

And promised in 10 months time . Outstanding. How it should be done. Others with ludicrous development times should take note

Edited by Legend

All this talk about dumping Bachmann & Hornby class 66’s...

Am I the only person left with Lima class 66’s ?

Nope, I've one and it still works!  And a Hornby 66 is merely a Lima with a more modern motor bogie and a DCC socket.