Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

The odd one still pops up on their website, occasionally.  Sold as seen isn't always a very good move though.....

To be quite fair, it did take them a year or so to sell them all, so they were around quite a good time.  Plus when they went from £150 to £119, it was pretty much a bargain.  Just running a 66780 now, they are just soooooo smooth.

Bachmann's isn't too bad and you can get away with them side by side.  But Hattons runs far superior, better lighting, detail and a thing of beauty!  They take a bit of fettling, and it wouldn't be the first time I have been ready to send all mine back, but persevered.  

E-bay prices - well comparatively a Hornby Class 60 is supposed to cost £220, Bachmann Class 47 £240.  A Hattons Class 66 is far beyond these in my humble opinion, and for me the model has a wow factor!  Never thought I would say that about a Class 66!  On top of this - they are now scarce.  Unless the likes of Accurascale were to produce one, or Hattons do a second run then anything of similar quality is going to be mid/high £200s - especially if it comes in a couple of years time.  Surprised with the HYAs, GBRf livery hasn't been more popular and sought after.

• Agree 1

On 28/06/2022 at 07:23, The Black Prince said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if Bachmann appeared with one at some point. Why there isn’t a “stock” of a decent 66 is somewhat strange considering how many exist and how wide spread they are. 

The Hornby model is so poor now, the Hattons version light years ahead of both that and the current Bachmann offering.

I would be down for  5/6 Hattons with sound.  

batch production ? make em , sell em , no money tied up in stock gathering dust .

As everyone needs a " few more ", they only  need to find buyers for about 2800 more or something 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, rob D2 said:

batch production ? make em , sell em , no money tied up in stock gathering dust .

As everyone needs a " few more ", they only  need to find buyers for about 2800 more or something 

The one thing that gets me, is how people want them when they are not around, similar with Revolution TEAs etc..  I know we all have priorities and no one can afford everything.   

But if you couldn't afford them a year ago, why can you now?  Likewise if a new run comes our at a higher price, next time will that person again, not bother.  The Class 66's went down to £119 wh/ich was basically top spec at a bargain price, and lower than anything else.  Bachmann Class 66's were dearer along with Class 37's, Class 47's, Hornby Class 31/50/56/60 etc.   They didn't sell out in a few weeks - literally months so why didn't they go up in people's priorities if they needed them?  Supposedly if a Class 66 is so essential, why weren't they bought at £119? Especially as soon as the first one or two sold out. Surely that was the warning to buy or repent at your leisure! 

Likewise those who stuck with the Class 66, bought at low prices, and left all the others to moan, surely had the last laugh! (Apart from the sold as seen one with no motor!  Could only be Liverpool!)

Not trying to sound horrible, but I do wonder!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Possibly the reported issues put people off? It did me but I tested the water, found the issues were easily fixed and that the loco was a beaut, and jumped in with both feet… ended up with 14 I think

• Agree 4

I guess it depends what you are modelling at the time, I no longer have the financial ability to have 1000s of  pounds tied up in stock in boxes. I wax and wane from loving the 2000s and the 37/60/66 era , to reminiscing about the 80s when I was a kid and everything was Blue…. And also like the pre privatisation era…mainline and transrail etc. 

With batch production I used to be able to predict my future needs a little and buy for them, with the current cost of living crisis less so.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

9 hours ago, Matt said:

Possibly the reported issues put people off? It did me but I tested the water, found the issues were easily fixed and that the loco was a beaut, and jumped in with both feet… ended up with 14 I think

Good move!

I think that there was some of that in there with reported isdues but with the Hattons returns policy, it weren't really a loose situation.  There was one guy who seems pretty mild, but did a YouTube video on why he were sending his back - and the  final straw was the darker green Freightliner Logo background, which he thought was a fault.......shows how much he knew about his Class 66!  As obviously it was correct!  Someone got a good pre-owned model!  Regrettably the internet isn't perfect when it comes to personal recommendations, and you would have thought that they would check on reference material first.  I found photos straight away!  Then there were the loons who agreed in disgust that such a fault was unacceptable and should be sent back.  Yet again no one could do any research and took the comments at face value, without checking.  So yes things like that did the model no favours.  Wonder how many would jump off a cliff if he suggested it?  Personally, I think if the likes of New Bryford are using them, it's a pretty good product overall.

I also think that Covid didn't do the Class 66 any favours from a commercial perspective.  Whilst there was you-tube,  Hattons showroom closed, no exhibitions so people could see the models in action, which is surely is the ultimate promotion!  Hence my comment on those in the know, quietly buying them up....

There were a handful of times that like I have said on here, I would have sent all mine back, when I got the odd stubborn one.  But persivered!  During lockdowns there was the odd 5am bedtime as I tried to sort them!  There were a couple of messy £119 ones that I purchased and when it came to inspecting were all sold out!

In fact if anything I regret not purchasing more of the better pre-owned examples.  I did have 2 the other week for 'eventual' repaint/renumber purposes!  Really, really, really do not need any more Class 66's in standard EWS, Freightliner (although an extra original 66/5 would be tempting - nobody is perfect!) and GBRF iveries!  

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

That's the thing - the camps were split into those willing to do the work and those like me who consider I shouldn't have to with a brand new model - i simply couldn't be arsed and they weren't at the top of my list .

I agree the internet can be a very dangerous place where one persons incorrect opinion is taken as word . At least the young fella in the slippers freely admits he doesn't know a lot about the prototype before he starts ( but don't get his obsession with " crawling " ( how often does a loco crawl over thsn buffering up ) and sprung buffers 

Edited by rob D2

15 hours ago, Matt said:

There was a lot of p*** taking on Facebook, I assume by a combination of people who had received one and some who hadn't even seen one. Such as a pile of Lego saying "my class 66 has turned up" etc. That will have put a lot of people off.

• Friendly/supportive 1

17 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

There was a lot of p*** taking on Facebook, I assume by a combination of people who had received one and some who hadn't even seen one. Such as a pile of Lego saying "my class 66 has turned up" etc. That will have put a lot of people off.

Well I quite like my Lego......

IMG_20220420_144927.thumb.jpg.7867c8f876db717d524abee238c18f41.jpg

Here's some yellow and green bricks too!

IMG_20220215_144242.thumb.jpg.808b822351d06d5e89287867ba789936.jpg

Ultimate answer....Anyone who thinks that they can build better, here's a close up to assist with detailing......  

IMG_20220215_143924.thumb.jpg.d2c4be83a46739152de722145eeed498.jpg

.....Look forward to scrutinizing your efforts!

It's about having the loudest, last laugh!

Edited by Torbay Express
  • Like 1
  • Funny 4

I didn't find the Hattons version much work compared to other models and has been one of my shorter projects! I totally get the criticism for poor running though as the rotating axle box isn't the greatest. Early on I made the decision to fix mine but losing its rotation. They were going to be converted to EM and that feature seemed hard to maintain. 

The bug eyes do have lighting issue but there is a cheap lighting kit to sort that problem out which is easy to fit. True it should be right in the first place but seeing as pretty much every loco I own has had its lights replaced that crictism can be labelled at pretty much all manufacturers.

Anyhow I like my ex-wobblers, ex-glue marks on roof and ex-loose grille examples (all now superglued on)

66621 Freightliner 66404 DRS 66727 GBRf 66079 EWS

When I was weathering mine I kept being surprised at how much is modelled... made weathering quite fun!

66404 DRS 66727 GBRf

It does pay to use some extra glue to keep bits on though especially the roof grilles.

66079 EWS (1)

Oh and I quite like the printing of the freightliner logo ;)

66621 Freightliner (2)

I won't be buying anymore as four is plenty for me but I do hope some more are produced.

Cheers

Will 

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

11 hours ago, dj_crisp said:

I didn't find the Hattons version much work compared to other models and has been one of my shorter projects! I totally get the criticism for poor running though as the rotating axle box isn't the greatest. Early on I made the decision to fix mine but losing its rotation. They were going to be converted to EM and that feature seemed hard to maintain. 

The bug eyes do have lighting issue but there is a cheap lighting kit to sort that problem out which is easy to fit. True it should be right in the first place but seeing as pretty much every loco I own has had its lights replaced that crictism can be labelled at pretty much all manufacturers.

Anyhow I like my ex-wobblers, ex-glue marks on roof and ex-loose grille examples (all now superglued on)

When I was weathering mine I kept being surprised at how much is modelled... made weathering quite fun!

66404 DRS 66727 GBRf

It does pay to use some extra glue to keep bits on though especially the roof grilles.

66079 EWS (1)

66621 Freightliner (2)

I won't be buying anymore as four is plenty for me but I do hope some more are produced.

Cheers

Will 

Stunning work mate on the weathering, I think the weathering really highlights how well detailed the under frame is, top job on that.

Don't suppose you do customer weathering projects too? 

Edited by WCML100
*Edit for spelling and poor grammar! doh
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 03/07/2022 at 08:37, rob D2 said:

That's the thing - the camps were split into those willing to do the work and those like me who consider I shouldn't have to with a brand new model - i simply couldn't be arsed and they weren't at the top of my list.

This is me.
I had an EWS one, which was a little wobbily.  Sent it back.
Got another, which had something wrong with the motor.  Sent it back.
Got a call to say they didn't have any of the one I ordered in stock.
Had a think and chose a Freightliner one, which is still a little wobbily.

Possibly sent it back and got another but as none of them went round my layout that well (admittedly, I banked the corners too much), then it'll be one to get out and fix when I have a layout for it.

Tempted to resell but like my Underground unit, I don't want to be without if I can.
But then again with potential IVF costs coming up, it may be one for the chop.

Edited by Sir TophamHatt
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

This is me.
I had an EWS one, which was a little wobbily.  Sent it back.
Got another, which had something wrong with the motor.  Sent it back.
Got a call to say they didn't have any of the one I ordered in stock.
Had a think and chose a Freightliner one, which is still a little wobbily.

Possibly sent it back and got another but as none of them went round my layout that well (admittedly, I banked the corners too much), then it'll be one to get out and fix when I have a layout for it.

Tempted to resell but like my Underground unit, I don't want to be without if I can.
But then again with potential IVF costs coming up, it may be one for the chop.

Sounds like you were a little unlucky.  At the start everyone seemed to send them back due to the wobble, but the solution was actually quite an easy fix, hence later on people modified.  Your first one most likely would have been ok, in hindsight, with a little fettling.

Trackwork..... unfortunately no simple fix with that.

Good luck with the IVF if it comes to it.  

Edited by Torbay Express
Spelling
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

I'm very happy with my three Hattons Class 66s. They all arrived with the wobble, but luckily we managed to fix that. Other than that we were perhaps lucky in terms of loose detail (other than the axle boxes falling off pre-fix). I added EM2 speakers with the Legomanbiffo sound project and they are some of the best sounding locos that we have. But I can understand people sending them back - you really shouldn't need to fix a brand new model.

It does spoil you for other Class 66 models. I really like Bachmann's products in general - but their 66 can't really compete with the Hattons model.

And I'd definitely buy more if they did another run - another EWS liveried one for a start, plus a green Freighliner one. Seeing @dj_crisp's weathered ones really shows off the level of detail.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

7 hours ago, WCML100 said:

Stunning work mate on the weathering, I think the weathering really highlights how well detailed the under frame is, top job on that.

Don't suppose you do customer weathering projects too? 

Sorry no and that was way too kind!

After applying a base coat of enamel underframe dirt with an airbrush I've been experimenting with acrylics applied with a brush to add highlights... (both dry brushing and also applying washes). Something I'm going to explore more and hopefully improve on. I've enjoyed using acrylics Vs enamels for this task. Well worth a try.

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

19 hours ago, dj_crisp said:

66404 DRS 66727 GBRf

66079 EWS (1)

66621 Freightliner (2)

Cheers

Will 

They look really really good.  Makes them look like the real things.  Well done to yourself for the weathering, and Hattons for a great base model.

Do you have any shots of them earning a living?

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, Torbay Express said:

They look really really good.  Makes them look like the real things.  Well done to yourself for the weathering, and Hattons for a great base model.

Do you have any shots of them earning a living?

I've just checked my archive and I think I was playing with them rather than taking photos!  (One of the downsides of using my phone as the controller which doubles as my camera).

I'll hopefully have some new photos soon... my layout is still early in the build phase and is currently having a new fiddleyard, new legs and an extension board and so isn't that photogenic atm ;) 

• RMweb Gold
On 02/07/2022 at 17:21, Torbay Express said:

The one thing that gets me, is how people want them when they are not around, similar with Revolution TEAs etc..  I know we all have priorities and no one can afford everything.   

But if you couldn't afford them a year ago, why can you now?  Likewise if a new run comes our at a higher price, next time will that person again, not bother.  The Class 66's went down to £119 wh/ich was basically top spec at a bargain price, and lower than anything else.  Bachmann Class 66's were dearer along with Class 37's, Class 47's, Hornby Class 31/50/56/60 etc.   They didn't sell out in a few weeks - literally months so why didn't they go up in people's priorities if they needed them?  Supposedly if a Class 66 is so essential, why weren't they bought at £119? Especially as soon as the first one or two sold out. Surely that was the warning to buy or repent at your leisure! 

Likewise those who stuck with the Class 66, bought at low prices, and left all the others to moan, surely had the last laugh! (Apart from the sold as seen one with no motor!  Could only be Liverpool!)

Not trying to sound horrible, but I do wonder!

We dont know how many there were, but most were dcc ready in the sale.

The DCC sound versions dissapeared very early on. Anecdotally Bachmanns DCC sound FX 47’s seemed to go well, as does Dapols Sound 68’s.

I wonder if on modern image, there is a strong but small contingent of “must haves rtr” in DCC sound that is right sized for the demand, as aside of the recent class 90’s, you dont see modern image sound fitted heavily discounted too often.

Additionally those new 90’s seemed quite discounted quite soon, which was odd, I wonder if that dedicated contingent of DCC rtr sound models buyers, had their money tied up in Deltic’s, 37’s and 92’s currently and simply delayed purchasing ?

The market is only so big, note the class 89 price reflects the expected lower volume… no ones buying armfuls, theres only 5 versions vs 23 AS Deltics, over 30 Hattons 66’s..

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Funny thing sound, I’ve got loads (30ish) older sound chipped locos but that it’s been so long since I’ve run them I’ve not got a clue what’s fitted any more, when it comes to new items such as the 66, 68 and deltic etc I’ve not bothered with sound fitted models as personally I’ve got a bit bored of it, that and quite simply there are that many functions on the latest chips it’s got too complicated and takes the fun out of just watching trains go by when you have to start messing with lots of different button combinations for various modes 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

32 minutes ago, ayrmrg said:

I was told last year by a Hattons member of staff that the demand for the 66's was still very high and not to be surprised if there was another run. Here's hoping.

I like many persevered with them. I think they are miles better than any other 66 on the market. At least Hattons made an effort to match up the correct side windows with the specific loco.

Here's some of my collection. 

20220305_125215_optimized_optimized.jpg

Screenshot_20220219-115202_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220705-000633_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210626-095239_Video Editor.jpg

Very nice!  Starting to feel more normal, there's a few of us with a good collection.

There should be some more at some stage, a while ago because of the faults encountered etc., I was asked to provide a little feedback for another run.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, big jim said:

Funny thing sound, I’ve got loads (30ish) older sound chipped locos but that it’s been so long since I’ve run them I’ve not got a clue what’s fitted any more, when it comes to new items such as the 66, 68 and deltic etc I’ve not bothered with sound fitted models as personally I’ve got a bit bored of it, that and quite simply there are that many functions on the latest chips it’s got too complicated and takes the fun out of just watching trains go by when you have to start messing with lots of different button combinations for various modes 

That’s a very good point. I have long felt that there is a great need for a hand-held controller which is programmable. The buttons would be lit with the appropriate symbols for the functions on each locomotive, much as is done with laptop control. I would prefer buttons with a positive feel rather than touchscreens but if a touchscreen is necessary, then a fine plastic grid to  guide the finger to the right place.* I still love sound and I’ll go so far as to print a handy sheet with functions on it for each loco and, in addition, the sequence of F buttons to push to start up. For example, cab door, cab light, start up (warm/cold), headlights, cab lights off and so on.

* I still produce gibberish on my phone.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

That’s a very good point. I have long felt that there is a great need for a hand-held controller which is programmable. The buttons would be lit with the appropriate symbols for the functions on each locomotive, much as is done with laptop control. I would prefer buttons with a positive feel rather than touchscreens but if a touchscreen is necessary, then a fine plastic grid to  guide the finger to the right place.* I still love sound and I’ll go so far as to print a handy sheet with functions on it for each loco and, in addition, the sequence of F buttons to push to start up. For example, cab door, cab light, start up (warm/cold), headlights, cab lights off and so on.

I have an A5 filofax with a page for each sound fitted loco, telling me which sound/feature is assigned to which function. It would be a lot of work to create one for each loco in a 30 strong fleet, but I started almost straight away & have kept up with it as I've fitted sound to more.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

That’s a very good point. I have long felt that there is a great need for a hand-held controller which is programmable. The buttons would be lit with the appropriate symbols for the functions on each locomotive, much as is done with laptop control.

The ESU controllers essentially do that, although with touch screens for the mobile controllers (and even on the base station for functions beyond F8). And I'm sure there are others which operate in a similar fashion. I certainly like the visibility of which function key does what (to the extend I can puzzle out the icons) compared to the more basic controllers where I have to keep an external list.

But as @big jim noted, I rarely use a lot of the more unusual sound effects beyond an initial run through to see what they sound like. That said, I can (even if subconsciously) question the value of an after-market sound chip if I find it only has a handful of sounds set up - for all that I'll never use most of them 🙄!

15 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

I think it truly depends on what people want with DCC.  Larger the loco fleet, more likely to stick with DC, I suspect.  I do have a few DCC sound locomotives for the play value, but mainly DC.  If I did my big layout then a plan for a smallish DCC level on top (never had success with DCC on DC controller, but main thing DC.  Also for point control etc., mainlines DCC for route setting on mainlines, plus signalls.   Yard points and depot  controlled by push button or stud and probe.  

• Like 1