Darstaed 7mm Finescale O Gauge BR 57' Mk1 Suburban Coaches

Ellis Clark Trains

Good afternoon all,

As many may (or may not yet) have seen, we have recently announced the next Darstaed project, available exclusively through ourselves, Ellis Clark Trains.

We are happy to reveal that coach in question is the BR Mk1 Suburban!

Continuing on from the successful Mk1's we aim to release these coaches in quarter 4 of this year at a price of £169 each.

Pre-orders are available immediately with no upfront payment - this can be done via the website, over the phone or through email.

All details and specifications can be found on the website (ellisclarktrains.com)

What do we all think to the announcement?

Kindest regards,
Ellis.

post-24194-0-28638500-1526981779_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

post-68-0-81978900-1526991802_thumb.jpeg

If they are an improvement over the Darstaed Mk1 coach above they’ll be a welcome addition to the market.

If however they look to the same standard as the Mk1 then I feel they might not be very well received. For the price suggested, that puts them in the same price range as a single Dapol/Lionheart B set coach. People are likely to expect a product of similar fidelity.

Edited by PMP

• 2 weeks later...

attachicon.gif F9A91995-21AA-429D-B3FF-6A62F9E73EA1.jpeg

If they are an improvement over the Darstaed Mk1 coach above they’ll be a welcome addition to the market.

If however they look to the same standard as the Mk1 then I feel they might not be very well received. For the price suggested, that puts them in the same price range as a single Dapol/Lionheart B set coach. People are likely to expect a product of similar fidelity.

and can you explain what "standard" as I cannot find a review of the Mk1s  on here.  Looking at that photo unless its distorted the sides look bulbous the gangways from the side look OK but from the end view they look a mess due to the gap free mechanism needlessly built in.  If the outer gangway was sprung then that alone with close coupling should eliminate any gaps.  Is this what you are referring to or are there other issues?

and can you explain what "standard" as I cannot find a review of the Mk1s  on here.  Looking at that photo unless its distorted the sides look bulbous the gangways from the side look OK but from the end view they look a mess due to the gap free mechanism needlessly built in.  If the outer gangway was sprung then that alone with close coupling should eliminate any gaps.  Is this what you are referring to or are there other issues?

Hi there,

If you click here: https://www.ellisclarktrains.co.uk/collections/darstaed-7mm-o-gauge-finescale-coaches You'll find plenty of pictures of the Mk1's in various liveries at different angles.

There have been reviews in most magazines now, most recently was the review in the Gauge O Guild where they were very well received.

Please feel free to get in touch if we can help with anything.

Kindest regards,

Ellis.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Darstaed seem to be crossing the gap between coarse scale tin plate and fine scale, a trend that seemed to start for some of the coarse scale suppliers a while ago, for example those models which used DJM models.

Either way it is good to see a Darstaed section on RMWeb and hopefully we'll see more coverage of the coarse scale hobby.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Not for the first time, I find PMP's comments rather needlessly negative. And to what purpose? What is his real agenda?

The Darstaed Mk1 mainline coaches are not perfect but they are somewhat better than some previous attempts. And very good for the price.

What is the point of comparing Darstaed products with Dapol 'B' sets? If one is not a BR(W) modeller, the two are simply not comparable.

• Agree 1

Not for the first time, I find PMP's comments rather needlessly negative. And to what purpose? What is his real agenda?

The Darstaed Mk1 mainline coaches are not perfect but they are somewhat better than some previous attempts. And very good for the price.

What is the point of comparing Darstaed products with Dapol 'B' sets? If one is not a BR(W) modeller, the two are simply not comparable.

you make a valid point here Joseph. I wondered the exact same thing......

I’d be interested to hear detailed opinions of the Darstaed finescale coaches, having not yet seen the G0G review.

I’ve got several of their coarse-scale tinplate coaches and vans, and they were good value for money in the round, although one rake had to go back due to severe QC problems.

The comparison would be interesting, especially if they release any with coarse-standard wheel-sets.

• RMweb Gold

I’d be interested to hear detailed opinions of the Darstaed finescale coaches, having not yet seen the G0G review.

I’ve got several of their coarse-scale tinplate coaches and vans, and they were good value for money in the round, although one rake had to go back due to severe QC problems.

The comparison would be interesting, especially if they release any with coarse-standard wheel-sets.

I think the "finescale" coaches can be supplied with either type of wheel. Speak with Bob Wyatt at Scalelink or Ellis Clark.

I find the finish a bit glossy but that should be easily dealt with (and might even suit your purposes).

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've just enlarged one of the images, and I can see mirrors, reading lamps and luggage racks. It seems most impressive. So there are full height partitions, and everything that should be there is there. The biggest problem is probably the overhang of the roof on the ends, but I guess we need to wait for actual samples to arrive before a final judgment is made.

Regards,

Rob.

Good morning everyone,

This morning we received the T0 (1st sample) of the upcoming BR 57' Mk1 Suburban coach.

Please note that since this sample was made the weld lines on the roofs have been made much finer.

What does everyone think?

Your comments will be much appreciated.

Kindest regards,
Ellis.

post-24194-0-06199500-1531130829_thumb.jpg

post-24194-0-81647400-1531130830_thumb.jpg

post-24194-0-66117900-1531130832_thumb.jpg

post-24194-0-45660600-1531130834_thumb.jpg

post-24194-0-27699000-1531130836_thumb.jpg

post-24194-0-94130500-1531130837_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...
Good Evening,

I hope you're all well.

Please see attached pictures of the latest samples recently received by Darstaed for the BR Mk1 57' Suburban coaches.

As always, your thoughts, advice and opinions are welcomed - what do you think?

Please note that at this stage a few things are missing that will be included on production models, including brass door handles, seat patterns, carriage pictures and couplings.

All the best,

Ellis.

post-24194-0-26563400-1543272836_thumb.jpg

post-24194-0-56560000-1543272841_thumb.jpg

post-24194-0-80988000-1543272847_thumb.jpg

post-24194-0-24243800-1543272854_thumb.jpg

post-24194-0-74604800-1543272877_thumb.jpg

post-24194-0-41985900-1543272887_thumb.jpg

post-24194-0-31445500-1543272906_thumb.jpg

post-24194-0-61842800-1543272914_thumb.jpg

post-24194-0-41796600-1543272932_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

I have to ask: any chance of a batch from the factory with coarse-profile wheels?

These are short enough that coarse people like me might well be interested, even if it is necessary to either pack them up, or doctor the sole-bars to get them round tight curves.

• 7 months later...

Good evening all,

We have just received from Darstaed the first production samples for the forthcoming Suburbans.

We've posted pictures on the website for your viewing.

The first batch is currently being assembled and we hope to have these in 3 - 4 weeks.

All the best,

Ellis.

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1