Model Rail announce GWR Class 1600 0-6-0PT via Rapido

sem34090

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, rapidoandy said:

I apologise. I did try to send everyone on the form an email but it seems some have not sent.

The latest parts are apparently on the way. I’m very aware that Christmas is just around the corner and that will no doubt complicate things but we are moving in the right direction.

Andy

No worries Andy, happy not to be lost :good:

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

I finally decided to fit the Loksound chip and check the speaker, oddly with the Loksound chip displays none of the jerky running (although at moderate speed there may be some “surging” but it is hard to tell it is so slight) anyhoo….I left the model running to get the odd quiet grinding noise at crawling speed I hadn’t noticed before and oops, came back after an hour and…….77606A46-B92D-45E3-BB3F-AC696C61873C.jpeg.b1243f7b9b0d2be97804de4952ba8d42.jpeg

Luckily I have a spanner and after an hour fiddling with shaky hands and a few small curses I got the bolt in and tightened up again, it is now running in once more………although the accident didn’t seem to bother the fireman too much :D

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

On 28/08/2021 at 20:35, rapidoandy said:

Hi Bill,

With that information I would tend to agree with you. I will speak to our man once I’m back from holiday - do feel free to nudge/kick/pole as required. I suspect there will be a lot of emails to delete (sorry reply) too.

Andy

Hi Andy

Any response from 'our man' regarding the poor running issue on feedback?

I assume you're back from holiday by now.....

Cheers Bill

• 3 weeks later...

I remember someone writing it is near to impossible because of the loco's construction and therefore fitting a new chassis would require a fair amount of work. Not that it can't be done, but a lot of milling would be involved.

See here for the exploded diagram:

P4 Wheelsets can be fitted as seen here:

https://www.scalefour.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7398&p=82605

Kind Regards,

Björn

Edited by outatime
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 24/11/2021 at 18:18, rapidoandy said:

I apologise. I did try to send everyone on the form an email but it seems some have not sent.

The latest parts are apparently on the way. I’m very aware that Christmas is just around the corner and that will no doubt complicate things but we are moving in the right direction.

Andy

Hi Andy, 

I'm looking at getting a 1600 and was wondering what the current situation as to mods is. Are the ones at Kernow all updated?

I am a DC no feedback dinosaur at the moment, not intending to chip about 80 locos. 

Eric

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 28/01/2022 at 22:58, burgundy said:

I am sorry if this point has been dealt with in the preceding 36 pages, but does the chassis lend itself to conversion to EM or P4? Or do you have to start from scratch?

Best wishes 

Eric 

Frankly, I wouldn't even go there, if you want a 16XX in P4.

I've made my views on this overly-complicated design of RTR loco abundantly clear on RMWeb many times before.

By the time you've completely dismantled the body and chassis, hacked certain body castings about (yes, body castings), in order to have a complete body that can be separated from a P4 chassis, you'd actually be better off building the NuCast Partners kit, which has a whitemetal body and a lovely new etched chassis, designed by Justin Newitt.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

On 03/04/2022 at 11:37, TheSignalEngineer said:

Hi Andy, 

I'm looking at getting a 1600 and was wondering what the current situation as to mods is. Are the ones at Kernow all updated?

I am a DC no feedback dinosaur at the moment, not intending to chip about 80 locos. 

Eric

The Kernow ones have not been updated, simply as it actually on investigation seems to only be actually effecting a very minor number of models which we are repairing as required. 

If you have any problems with a purchase, let us know and we will sort it but most are working just as intended.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/04/2021 at 02:56, didcot said:

My GWR liveried version arrived today. The boxing and presentation are one of the best I've seen. Put it on the rolling road for 5 minutes and then on my 1 metre test track. My youngest lad came in and said " that's smooth running ". He was right. Probably the best straight out the box loco I've had in a long while. 

Bodes well for the Thunderbolt set.

Agreed, the 16xx was the first loco that I’ve bought that ran flawlessly straight out of the box and at very low crawl speeds.

On 07/04/2022 at 23:51, rapidoandy said:

The Kernow ones have not been updated, simply as it actually on investigation seems to only be actually effecting a very minor number of models which we are repairing as required. 

If you have any problems with a purchase, let us know and we will sort it but most are working just as intended.

Mine has run flawlessly for a

year and until this week was the best loco I’ve ever bought. Then this week it won’t run more than half a rotation and on investigation I’ve narrowed it down to the pickups and likely broken springs or similar?r?

I’ve read that this may be a known fault so I’ve registered on Rapido’s warranty page. 

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

I finally gave in and bought one, which will become 1621 from its Stourbridge days. 

The model has run well straight out of the box at all speeds after an initial squeal when power was first applied. I'm running DC using a Gaugemaster D. The only potential contact problem I've noticed is that the plungers on the centre wheels can lose contact at maximum play, but even on train set curves that probably wouldn't happen.

I shortened the over-long couplings quite easily using Bachmann short NEM heads with the sockets cut back to the buffer beam, trimmed the legs to suit and superglued together.

My thoughts about the model in general are that it looks nice but the parts are very fiddly. They've managed the usual trick of not putting a lamp bracket on top of the bunker, Also the brackets for spare lamps are designed to fit into a hole but I doubt it is possible to make one there so a bit of trimming and superglue will be necessary.

The biggest criticism at the moment is that the small parts underneath aren't robust particularly in the area of the injector pipework and the back end of the brake gear. They would be fine in the display case but don't like handling. 

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 6 months later...

Just wondered if anyone else is having running issues with the 16xx? Mine was ok but now runs very poorly. I have completed the online enquiry form on Rapido site but absolutely no response, never received the promised replacement circuit board either. 

I think the issue is with the plunger pickups which are not always in contact with the wheels, has anyone been able to remedy this issue?

To be honest I am a bit frustrated by this loco and the Rapido support.

Any help appreciated

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Trev1073 said:

Just wondered if anyone else is having running issues with the 16xx? Mine was ok but now runs very poorly. I have completed the online enquiry form on Rapido site but absolutely no response, never received the promised replacement circuit board either. 

I think the issue is with the plunger pickups which are not always in contact with the wheels, has anyone been able to remedy this issue?

Any help appreciated

Hello Trevor, sorry to hear this. Would you be able to let me know which date you sent in the enquiry? 

11 hours ago, Trev1073 said:

Any help appreciated

I've got two of the locos.  Both ran well but have been more inconsistent lately, often stalling on odd bits of track.  I've just had a stay alive fitted to one of them which seems to have improved running based on a quick test.  I have not contacted  Rapido about  these issues.   I also wonder if the plunger pick ups are the issue.  One loco has a Zimo sound decoder installed, the other an ESU.  Both suffer the same issues.   

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Gopher said:

I've got two of the locos.  Both ran well but have been more inconsistent lately, often stalling on odd bits of track.  I've just had a stay alive fitted to one of them which seems to have improved running based on a quick test.  I have not contacted  Rapido about  these issues.   I also wonder if the plunger pick ups are the issue.  One loco has a Zimo sound decoder installed, the other an ESU.  Both suffer the same issues.   

Hello Gopher, if these are displaying new issues please drop us a line via the warranty form - our repairs dept. can pick it up in the new year.

On 19/12/2022 at 20:43, Trev1073 said:

Any help appreciated

Hello Trevor,

I checked with the Staplehurst team and the system is showing that all the 16xx enquiries have been replied to, did it go to junk mail? If there is no sign of it, please could you drop us a line again via the website?

11 hours ago, RapidoCorbs said:

Hello Gopher, if these are displaying new issues please drop us a line via the warranty form - our repairs dept. can pick it up in the new year.

Thanks - the stayalive seems to have cured the problem in one loco, so I may just get one fitted in the other loco.  Shame because they are nice models 

As I previously posted , the problem is definitely the plunger pickups ,in my case the centre drivers,

the pickups are not long enough to keep contact with the backs of the wheels on curves where the side play is at its maximum, I cannot send mine back as I carried out the mod to remove the components on the circuit boards which resulted in the model not running at all and I have since hard wired with a You choos sound chip with stay alive .

On 22/12/2022 at 20:30, rapidoandy said:

Brian - if you want we can happily send you a set of new pickups and springs etc. we might even have some new circuits if you want to put it back to factory condition.

Thanks rapidoandy for your gracious reply,I would really like to at least replace the pickups,if you could supply them .

please let me know how to contact you with my address etc ,by PM maybe,thanks again for your reply 

regards Brian.

• 5 weeks later...

Just a short update on my 16xx. Well I received an email from Rapido with returns information. Loco returned to them and returned very promptly with new pub and pickups. I have only given it a quick test run but it seems to be running perfectly now. Thanks to Rapido for sorting it out, great customer service.

• Like 5

Received the new 16xx pick-ups from Rapido today (excellent customer service)

The pickups are longer than those originally fitted to the loco, and the springs are a bit more substantial.  I fitted them this afternoon. Not a difficult job, apart from making sure the springs do not disappear into the ether.  There is a video showing how to replace the pickups

The new pick-ups have definitely made an improvement to the running of the loco  

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Round of applause 1

39 minutes ago, Gopher said:

Received the new 16xx pick-ups from Rapido today (excellent customer service)

The pickups are longer than those originally fitted to the loco, and the springs are a bit more substantial.  I fitted them this afternoon. Not a difficult job, apart from making sure the springs do not disappear into the ether.  There is a video showing how to replace the pickups

The new pick-ups have definitely made an improvement to the running of the loco  

Yes , changed the pickups on mine last week,great improvement,pickups and springs longer and more heavy duty,fiddly but totally doable.

Should not have f

had to do this,…but, great customer service, thanks.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 months later...