After the warm and positive reception our HUOs have received from customers, we thought we better crack on and announce our second model for the British market. So, welcome to the iconic APCM Cemflo/PCV wagon in 4mm scale by Accurascale.

A total of 285 of these bulk cement wagons were constructed for Associated Portland Cement Manufacturers (APCM) between 1961 and 1965. When introduced, they carried the company’s Blue Circle Cement branding.

The first lot of wagons were built by the Gloucester Railway Carriage & Wagon Company (diagram 6/433, TOPS design code PC 001A), with a later batch manufactured by Metropolitan-Cammell (diagram 6/430, design code PC 003A). It is the latter type which our model represents.

The wagons are probably best known for their use on cement trains from Cliffe, near Gravesend in Kent, to Uddingston on the outskirts of Glasgow. This train was unusual as it was hauled by BRCW Type 3 (later class 33) diesels of BR’s Southern Region, often working in pairs, which would haul the train as far as York. With reversals required as it made its way around London, these trains were also notable for having a brake van at either end of the rake of 30+ wagons.

Cemflo wagons were also utilised to haul cement from Holborough Cement Works in Kent’s Medway Valley to Widnes in Lancashire. By 1969, the Cemflo fleet migrated north, where they handled traffic from Eastgate in Durham, Hope in the Peak District, and Oxwellmains works near Dunbar in Scotland. Cemflos from Eastgate served Grangemouth and the APCM terminal at Sunderland South Dock, while the wagons assigned to Hope served Dewsbury and Widnes (the latter saw them run mixedvwith Presflo wagons). Meanwhile, Cemflos from Oxwellmains carried cement to Aberdeen, Dundee, Grangemouth, and Uddingston. Several types of locomotives were observed hauling Cemflos during their time in service, including class 25s, class 26s, class 27s, class 31s, class 33s, class 37s, class 40s, class 45s, class 47s… even 9Fs and A4s!

The last of the Cemflo fleet were withdrawn in mid-1988, and today only a single wagon (a Met-Cammell example) survives, preserved by the Darlington Railway Preservation Society. We conducted a survey of this wagon earlier this year and would like to thank the society for facilitating the surveying of the prototype.

CAD is complete, and tooling will shortly commence for the Cemflo, which will maintain the high standards set by our HUO wagon. There will be seven packs of three wagons in pre-TOPS condition, with another six packs in TOPS guise. There will also be a single wagon pack on offer in both pre-TOPS and TOPS condition. Delivery is anticipated for late October 2018 for pre-TOPS, and December for TOPS packs. The price for triple packs is £73.95 for a triple pack and £25.95 for a single wagon. Customers who pre-order a pre TOPS or TOPS rake from our website before stock arrives will get the single wagon thrown in for free, with a reduced rate rake deal for a limited time as a special thank you for your support! You can order direct right now at  https://accurascale.co.uk/product-category/wagons/cemflo/

This is the first of a series of announcements over the coming weeks, so keep an eye out for more exciting news! :)

Excited and soon to be skint.

• Like 1

Well, that stash of Triang ones that I have, waiting to be butchered, can go on eBay! I knew if I procrastinated long enough someone would make a proper version.

Very pleased to see this news. Which liveries did the Met-Camm wagons carry?

• Like 1

The CAD look fantastic.

What will the finished appearance be? Bright aluminium, as built, or something more work-a-day?

What about branding? Will there be the option for the early, full length livery?

I don't wish to be too demanding but is there any thought of a Gloucester build? There were also variations on Suspension used. 

I'm sure you've already researched all variants but it would be interesting to know whether you have future plans for the Cemflo.

I'll have 22 please.

• Like 2

Well, that stash of Triang ones that I have, waiting to be butchered, can go on eBay! I knew if I procrastinated long enough someone would make a proper version.

I've already butchered mine so I might as well put them in the bin. All 26 of them.

Edited by RBAGE
  • Like 1

I suspect these may be the finest detail wagons ever to be produced for the British outline model market.  The CAD looks stunning and now we know the real thing has proven to be just as good if not better. Seriously impressed.

You've raised the bar significantly more that a few notches.

Edited by NoelG
  • Like 1

I'm impressed by your ability to capture so much of the less accessible detail on a survey visit.

I've tried, and have always had to go back after drawing what I measured revealed something missed out, or mis-read off a tape!

The Nim.

• Like 3

Order placed.

Happy father's day, birthday and Christmas for many years to come.

Please make sure the next release didn't run on the ECML in the 1960's. Unless it's a J27.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi locoholic, 

As built they were bright aluminum with the Blue Circle branding on a board each side. See attached pic below 

post-7114-0-09959500-1528379493_thumb.jpg

The undercrackers on that look stunning Fran, I am sure I can find space for some in between some Presflos.

http://andygibbs.zenfolio.com/p488229174/e2407a409

Thanks Andy, that's a cracker of a pic too. We have some great ones which we found while doing our research which we will share later on here :)

The CAD look fantastic.

What will the finished appearance be? Bright aluminium, as built, or something more work-a-day?

What about branding? Will there be the option for the early, full length livery?

I don't wish to be too demanding but is there any thought of a Gloucester build? There were also variations on Suspension used. 

I'm sure you've already researched all variants but it would be interesting to know whether you have future plans for the Cemflo.

I'll have 22 please.

We are looking at a pristine aluminium and see how that works, we dont want it to be too bright and unrealistic after all. 

Branding is as above, only the Gloucester wagons got the full length branding. The Metro Camm ones mostly lost their boards by TOPS era too, so the TOPS variant will not have the branding boards as per prototype. 

As for the Gloucester build, we will see how these sell and if demand is there and evident we will consider them, but they are quite different as you know in several areas, especially in suspension and solebar. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I'm impressed by your ability to capture so much of the less accessible detail on a survey visit.

I've tried, and have always had to go back after drawing what I measured revealed something missed out, or mis-read off a tape!

The Nim.

It involves much contorting of the body and an endless string of expletives. And this particular survey was done on a freezing cold day to boot, so there were numb fingers, too!  :biggrin_mini:

• RMweb Gold

Hello Fran

Congratulations on yet another stunning vehicle!

To my great surprise, I found that the wagon was Low Polling in The Wishlist Poll 2016 (the latest Poll results) - but I'm sure you are on to a winner here. 

Brian (on behalf of The Poll Team)

• RMweb Gold

They do look lovely!

Would you consider issuing these in N gauge as well ?

Hmmm, we hadn't to be honest, but we may look into it in the future. 

The Nim.

Thanks The Nim, it was great fun surveying the real one on a very icy cold Darlington day in early January as Patrick says. Little glamour in this business! Thankfully the guys up there kept us warm with Tea! 

post-7114-0-73871600-1528382132_thumb.jpg

post-7114-0-35787800-1528382158_thumb.jpg

Edited by 071
  • Like 1