Hmmm, we hadn't to be honest, but we may look into it in the future. 

Thanks The Nim, it was great fun surveying the real one on a very icy cold Darlington day in early January as Patrick says. Little glamour in this business! Thankfully the guys up there kept us warm with Tea! 

attachicon.gifCemflo proto 1.jpg

attachicon.gifcemflo 2.jpg

So that'll be a tank wagon, Ruston shunter and narrow gauge Hudson tipper next, eh ??!?

The wagons are probably best known for their use on cement trains from Cliffe, near Gravesend in Kent, to Uddingston on the outskirts of Glasgow. This train was unusual as it was hauled by BRCW Type 3 (later class 33) diesels of BR’s Southern Region, often working in pairs, which would haul the train as far as York... 

Not quite. Initially arrived at Ferme Park with BRCW type 3s, then onward and return by steam on the ECML, a 9F turn, but any ER wide firebox power was suitable - V2s and pacifics  -  until year end of 1961. Thereafter the diesel power off BR(SR) worked through to York. So when first in traffic they got a nice sticky coating of cylinder lube applied to help the cement dust stick really well to all that shiny aluminium.

A grossly filthy New England V2 ahead of a long train of shiny new stock, lovely contrast.

• Like 1

So that'll be a tank wagon, Ruston shunter and narrow gauge Hudson tipper next, eh ??!?

Naahhhhh. How about some of these to go into the mix(er).

27229455066_44e5343652_b.jpgBlue Circle Bagged Cement Van by Tony Lambert, on Flickr

and third post down.

https://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2322

No doubt you've seen them before.

• Like 3

And despite what some folk say, don't forget the regular use of 9F's and V2's.

If steam haulage was only until the end of 1961, would they have pulled the Metro Cammell version or were they built after 1961?

• RMweb Gold

If steam haulage was only until the end of 1961, would they have pulled the Metro Cammell version or were they built after 1961?

We have pics of steam haulage of Cemflos well after 1961, such as the A4 pic on the LNER forum which is dated 1965. :)

Edited by 071

We have pics of steam haulage of Cemflos well after 1961, such as the A4 pic on the LNER forum which is dated 1965. :)

Well that'll do nicely.

Mind you, the question I keep asking is "did the 33's ever run north of York". Maybe a motive power shortage had them run to Gateshead.

I have 2 33's waiting for someone to come up with the evidence. Otherwise it'll just have to be a bit of license. 

What is most exciting about what you guys are doing is your confidence.

Some other new provider of late have dipped their toe in with a 5 plank wagon, or something equally low risk.

You blokes have just jumped in, up to your necks in complicated and massively detailed prototypes.

"Uncompromising fidelity", indeed.

Good luck to you. 

Pair of 33s are the most iconic pairing with these wagons for me. And sure everyone loves making us Irish say the number 33..... 

To be sure, I don't know what you mean.  :mosking:

• RMweb Gold

What is most exciting about what you guys are doing is your confidence.

Some other new provider of late have dipped their toe in with a 5 plank wagon, or something equally low risk.

You blokes have just jumped in, up to your necks in complicated and massively detailed prototypes.

"Uncompromising fidelity", indeed.

Good luck to you. 

Thanks! In fairness we had some experience with our Irish models, so werent completely wet behind the ears, but we wanted to do some nice models that would stand out from the crowd too. 

Also, the fact that our first two Irish models were a hopper wagon followed by a cement tank and we have now repeated this for Accurascale is purely incidental! 

Thanks! In fairness we had some experience with our Irish models, so werent completely wet behind the ears, but we wanted to do some nice models that would stand out from the crowd too. 

Also, the fact that our first two Irish models were a hopper wagon followed by a cement tank and we have now repeated this for Accurascale is purely incidental! 

What was the third Irish model? It might give some clues on what to expect next.

Loadsa steam haulage after 61. Quite a bit of it documented due to the trains timing through York. Along with the fact the Uddingston > Cliffe MT's didn't return to Cliffe. 

post-508-0-03885600-1528391991.jpg

• Like 4

All the steam haulage I've seen so far has been with Gloucester builds.

On this photo you can tell their parentage from the kink or step in the side discharge pipes.

Any evidence of mixed rakes from both manufacturers?

Edited by RBAGE

Excellent choice, better do a Brake Van next to keep standards the same :)

Agreed, especially an LMS stanier brake, that were still common in the 1970s. The Hornby one is a bit of a fossil.

Anyway enough wishlisting.... I didn't really want or need these cement wagons, but they look so good, i have no option to buy a couple of pack's, they look too good to ignore!

Going to be quite a challenge to weather though!

Edited by The Ghost of IKB

Well just jumped in and bought a full set of pre TOPS ones. Will look nice running on Hornsey Broadway. Looking forward to getting them. If they are as good as the HUO in all respects, they will be stunning. Full marks for taking on the wagon and modelling it.

Paul J.

• Like 1

What was the third Irish model? It might give some clues on what to expect next.

AS/IRM's third Irish model is this soon to ship Tara mines ore wagon

34612955_1257303324399822_52267106893761

And their Irish fourth model is this ballast plough van with working DCC lights

0201-1024x605.jpg

Look at the inside.

0202_1800x.jpg?v=1524690784

This company seem to be creating a whole new ball game for ultra fine scale detail in model wagons.

But don't read anything or any clues into these Irish wagons. These guys think outside the box and are bound to pleasantly surprise.

Edited by NoelG
  • Like 1

On this photo you can tell their parentage from the kink or step in the side discharge pipes.

JB photographed a mixed rake going through Darlington in Jan. 1964. Seems he concentrated on the Met Cam builds in the rake probably because they were the more new and shiney. The Blue Circle name plates stuck out like a saw thumb even though it was snowing.

On the original of the V2 pic you can just make out two nameplates ( thus Met- Cam) midway down the train.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Oh my,you guys know how to do it don’t you.

I was gambling last year that someone might do these wagons, so I let the rake of yellow Triang ones I had go and thought i’d Hold and wait...

i’m Running out of space, but ....

Go on, how many do I need :-)