Sap on track

Having a problem this year with tree sap dripping from leaves onto my outdoor track causing very sticky rails, which despite a lot of cleaning, soon spreads to loco & rolling stock wheels. Cutting down the trees not an option!

However.... have discovered wonderful Goo Gone (seems cheapest on eBay) - a small amount on a reasonable quality plastic scourer (type used for non stick pans) and its gone leaving a nice smell of oranges! Unfortunately back the next day, but what’s a bit of daily maintenance.... Hope this is useful, any other tips would be good to hear.

Im convinced Goo-Gone is absolute magic.  Ive used it to take off grime so caked on youd need a razor to clean off.  

But for your specific issue, would possibly a removable canopy built over the support base be of use? Essentially a slanted roof with a support beam each side, say every foot or so? Obviously only in the problem areas as Im sure your entire line isnt being dripped on.  

• RMweb Gold

Is it sap or actually sugar from aphids? The ants can't collect it all and a lot falls on the ground. If it's sugar it will wash off with water on a cloth rubbed over the rails. My car is parked under a tree and gets covered in it but a bucket and sponge cleans it easily.

Thanks for these useful responses - I’m now worried my trees are aphid infested!! (but that’s for a gardening forum....) I did use water to begin with, thoughts being that it’s been an unusually dry summer in East Scotland and the normal summer rainfall hadn’t given my track its regular wash! - but not a great success.... A cover; ahem.... obviously should have thought of that since it’s about 7 metres of track affected. Thanks for that useful suggestion, going to cut some plastic sheeting ASAP.

• RMweb Gold

Oak seems to be the worst round here with aphids both at mine and in the past at my parents it was oak trees that were the source. The parents car used to look like someone had sprayed it with photomount! ;)

My problem is indeed caused by an oak tree!! (who needs Gardeners Question Time when RM Web has the answers?) My Goo Gone perfectly cleaned track this morning had gained a slight residue by this evening which a gentle sponge with water removed easily. My previous build up had been over a two week holiday period, so Goo Gone sorted that out - but water sufficient for regular cleaning. And now I’ve also got a cover.... Thanks again

• RMweb Premium

Check the April issue of Model Railroader for advice on improving contact by gold-plating your rails using your wife's surplus jewelery.