TSD's Workbench - SECR and Industrial modelling

Since this is a workbench thread, here's something else I've been experimenting with. 100 1/76ish people for about two quid, from eBay of course. They're not great, and I wouldn't use them on the more visible parts of a layout, but I think they'll be perfect for loco drivers and inside buildings etc. where it's a bit of a waste to use a nice expensive figure. The painted one is going in an SECR liveried R1 class being built at the moment.

attachicon.gifIMG_20180627_103832.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20180624_124933.jpg

Do you know what colour were the SECR uniforms? I've got some pictures showing crew, but they're monochrome.

Do you know what colour were the SECR uniforms? I've got some pictures showing crew, but they're monochrome.

No idea unfortunately, I suspect dark blue overalls would be standard, but I'm out of paint in that colour.

• Like 1

Had no real chance to do any modelling over the weekend, partly due to a quick dash to my parents house to pick up some stuff (and I mean quick, I spent more time on the train than I did there!). It did give me a chance to finally have a play with my new P class,which has been sitting there in the box for a couple of months as I ordered it to the wrong address... Anyway, here's my entire SECR fleet, not particularly impressive yet - I have more SECR locos on my workbench than on my layout!

post-25124-0-33409300-1530522322_thumb.jpg

post-25124-0-86758700-1530522341_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Things have been quiet recently on the modelling bench, as I've had this on an actual workbench... 1am has been an early bedtime for the last couple of weeks getting ready to take it to competition. Very tired but pretty happy with our results, considering we're a smaller, low budget team. Having returned from the madness of several thousand students taking over Silverstone, normal modelling service should be resumed shortly.

post-25124-0-14906800-1531777166_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I don't know when the overalls became a standard, but the pictures I've seen of SECR crew in the Edwardian period show the men in jacket, trousers and waistcoat: effectively a three-piece suit cut from uniform cloth.

Overalls were much later. In high Victorian days many engine drivers wore white fustian jackets – though I doubt they stayed white for long.

If anyone has photos/diagrams of the F class tender, please let me know as I'm modelling it over the next few days. Top and rear views would be particularly useful.

I'm hopefully not too far off finishing the CAD, the tender needs finishing, then the detail parts like the chimney, steam reverser, safety valves etc. then I should be able to order a test print. I need to start thinking about putting an order in with Markits for the wheels as well which will put a serious dent in my finances, at least until my internship starts paying me.

• Like 1

SER F Class project update:

- tender chassis now done, barring the hole cut in the top which I'll do once I know how big the body is

- motorisation modelled

- gears modified to tame the top speed slightly (approx. 400mm/second after mods)

- chassis modified to fit new gears

- bogie mounting points and pivot done

To do:

- finish adding the brakes

- tender body

- pickup locations (possibly in the tender as there's very limited space in the body)

- boiler details

- probably some other bits I've forgotten about

- print!

post-25124-0-43427200-1532277456_thumb.jpg

SER F Class project update:

- tender chassis now done, barring the hole cut in the top which I'll do once I know how big the body is

- motorisation modelled

- gears modified to tame the top speed slightly (approx. 400mm/second after mods)

- chassis modified to fit new gears

- bogie mounting points and pivot done

To do:

- finish adding the brakes

- tender body

- pickup locations (possibly in the tender as there's very limited space in the body)

- boiler details

- probably some other bits I've forgotten about

- print!

attachicon.giff class snip.JPG

I'm not absolutely certain, but I think the rear internal (Cab splashers were flat topped) as on the O and A classes.

Davey

Slowly but surely getting there. This is a lot of guesswork as I have no diagrams of the top or inside of the tender and there are no pictures that I've found so far that show anything clearly. The internal cab splashers have also been corrected from Davey's comments.

post-25124-0-36057300-1532376866.jpg

Detailing work done! The chimney, steam reverser, leaf springs and safety valve have been added (doing CAD in my lunch break!) and were particularly fiddly to draw, but we're there now.

Still to do is some mirroring of parts (e.g. guard irons, brakes etc. - that's why all my screenshots are from one side!), then put the model into a printable state, optimised to reduce the overall size. Oh, and draw the conrods. Might have to edit the inside of the tender a bit more if I can work out what shape it needs to be. And add more handrail knob holes. And probably one or two other things I've forgotten...

So please, tell me if there's anything wrong or in need of improvement! I want to send the model off to be printed at the end of the week, so anything that I've missed needs to be pointed out now... 

post-25124-0-91497900-1532606224_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Very nice!

May I ask if there is any chance of you, potentially, drawing up a version that includes the boiler at some stage? I ask as my ability to roll brass and the suchlike is rather limited currently!

Other than that it looks fantastic and I would rather much like one at some stage!

The buffers: you've drawn the bases of the guides but not the guides themselves. Is this to fits with the Maygib parts sold by Branchlines?

I've left the holes so the builder can use whatever buffers they like, possibly the Maygib ones, or printed ones, or whatever best suits the time period or specific loco they are modelling. But it's easier to add your own to a blank space than try and remove all the material neatly. Likewise, some other detail parts are left to the builder including coupling hooks, handrails, cab controls, levers etc.

• Like 1

Very nice!

May I ask if there is any chance of you, potentially, drawing up a version that includes the boiler at some stage? I ask as my ability to roll brass and the suchlike is rather limited currently!

Other than that it looks fantastic and I would rather much like one at some stage!

My initial test model will use the boiler that's on there at the moment, it's just transparent so I can check for clashes. Eventually I'd like to make use of plastic or brass tube for the boiler, but I'm not thinking about rolling brass, that's rather beyond me too!

• Like 1

There's only one thing wrong, it's not in 'N' gauge ;)

But it's easier to draw in big scale...  :)

It'll get there at some point, probably after I've proved the OO one works. You might have to do your own chassis, and I think some of the detail might be lost in printing but otherwise it's a very reasonably simple job.

• Like 2

Detailing work done! The chimney, steam reverser, leaf springs and safety valve have been added (doing CAD in my lunch break!) and were particularly fiddly to draw, but we're there now.

Still to do is some mirroring of parts (e.g. guard irons, brakes etc. - that's why all my screenshots are from one side!), then put the model into a printable state, optimised to reduce the overall size. Oh, and draw the conrods. Might have to edit the inside of the tender a bit more if I can work out what shape it needs to be. And add more handrail knob holes. And probably one or two other things I've forgotten...

So please, tell me if there's anything wrong or in need of improvement! I want to send the model off to be printed at the end of the week, so anything that I've missed needs to be pointed out now... 

attachicon.giff class snip3.JPG

Excellent work.

I assume that you will produce a version without the rivets on the smoke box face and wrapper.  Festooning smoke boxes of SER/SE&CR locomotives with snap-head rivets seems to have been a Southern Railway fetish and has no place on a pre-Grouping condition loco.

Thanks

Excellent work.

I assume that you will produce a version without the rivets on the smoke box face and wrapper.  Festooning smoke boxes of SER/SE&CR locomotives with snap-head rivets seems to have been a Southern Railway fetish and has no place on a pre-Grouping condition loco.

Thanks

Yes, it's a simple matter to turn the rivet pattern on and off, I think I'll order the test model without as it will end up in some sort of SER/SECR livery. I have seen photos of some in SECR grey with the rivets though, so it could be a Maunsell thing?

• Like 1

But it's easier to draw in big scale...  :)

It'll get there at some point, probably after I've proved the OO one works. You might have to do your own chassis, and I think some of the detail might be lost in printing but otherwise it's a very reasonably simple job.

No worries sorting a chassis but it would be fantastic if it could be shot down to 'N' :)

• Like 2

No worries sorting a chassis but it would be fantastic if it could be shot down to 'N' :)

The second part of that sentence is definitely seconded, but the first part most definitely isn't! The rest of us who aren't expert loco chassis scratch-builders and hackers may need to use a more readily-available N gauge chassis :scratchhead:

• Like 1

The second part of that sentence is definitely seconded, but the first part most definitely isn't! The rest of us who aren't expert loco chassis scratch-builders and hackers may need to use a more readily-available N gauge chassis :scratchhead:

The chassis doesn't need to be working. There are plenty of chassis out there that can be put in one of the coaches but an easyish solution is one I've used on a number of smaller tender locos and that is to strip down a Dapol Terrier and use it as a tender drive. It will easily fit inside this tender.

Below is a SER O Class and the cut down chassis that powers it. You remove the body and trim the footplate back as much as possible. All wheels are driven so just unscrew the bolts holding the coupling rods on. You don't need to touch the workings at all. It may look daunting but I saw it as a solution and got the craft knife out. I made it up as I went along and wrote an article for the NGS Journal. I know there are now many Terriers both here and abroad that have sacrificed themselves to tender drives. For the loco wheels have a look on ebay etc for spares or repair locos. Doesn't matter if they don't work, just look for something with suitable size wheels and have a play to see what you can come up with. My O Class has drivers from a knackered Dapol prairie tank. You don't need to be an expert, just know how to wield a craft knife :)

post-6986-0-23062200-1532698399_thumb.jpg

post-6986-0-47752900-1532698402_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gareth Collier