Evercreech Junction buildings

Hi, I've at long last decided to build a layout that works with my available space ( truss roofed attic) and have chosen Evercreech junction on the S&DJR purely inspired of course by the recent announcement of the Bachmann 7f's and 3f's and a love for the 2p class. However, I have looked all over the internet and can't seem to find any scaleable clear photographs or better a drawing of the station buildings. So hopefully, someone on here will be able to provide me with either drawings or a place to find them.

thanks Ian

Hi, I've at long last decided to build a layout that works with my available space ( truss roofed attic) and have chosen Evercreech junction on the S&DJR purely inspired of course by the recent announcement of the Bachmann 7f's and 3f's and a love for the 2p class. However, I have looked all over the internet and can't seem to find any scaleable clear photographs or better a drawing of the station buildings. So hopefully, someone on here will be able to provide me with either drawings or a place to find them.

thanks Ian

Ian,

This is my retirement project, too - I have been collecting and building the stock for thirty-plus years but have never had the space for a layout.

There was a very well-researched model of Evercreech Junction in the model press a few years ago - if I can find the article I'll let you know.

I would be *extremely* grateful for copies of any material that you manage to locate.

As a matter of interest, my reference database entry for Evercreech Junction gives :-

Steam Days-12/92;

British Railways Illustrated-6/95;

Railway Magazine-4/96;

Model Railways Illustrated-10/95;

Steam Railway-9,10/97;

Steam World-9/97;

Railway Modeller-11/69,6,7/84,5/85,4/88,2/92,2/94(OPERATION),3/97,4/03;

Back Track-2/04.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I'm afraid that images of Evercreech (and the s&djr in general) are a bit limited on the web. Someone more in the know than I will be able to point you in the direction of a book that contains drawings of the structures. Some of the buildings are still on the site, so you may well be able to get down there yourself and take photos. Failing that, here's some images I bookmarked when I looked into the idea of modelling the site in 2mm.

http://www.flickr.co...@N02/2765015315

http://www.flickr.co...ms7/4127821941/

http://www.sdjr.net/...eech_plan2.html

http://www.eatingout..._eat.php?id=457

http://upload.wikime...ion_Station.jpg

There is a book that I can't for the life of me remember the title or author that gives an overview of S&D operations and locations with the modeller in mind that would be of use. It contains a compressed trackplan of Evercreech Junction station and sidings, as well as detailed recollections of operations. Useful stuff.

*edit*

Beaten to it!

I'll add any useful references from my collection when I get home.

Guest stuartp

There was a very well-researched model of Evercreech Junction in the model press a few years ago - if I can find the article I'll let you know.

Pretty sure it was by Shipley MRC, it was the forerunner to Tebay and the current Nottingham one. You could do worse than drop them a line.

• RMweb Gold

A reference book that I have is "An historical Survey of the Somerset and Dorset Railway" by C.W.Judge and C.R.Potts. It was published by Oxford Publishing Co in 1979 and has ISBN 0-86093-003-3. It has detailed track layouts and locations of buildings but no actual building drawings.

Hi

I haven't got this but this is the book I think is mentioned above. Local library could get you a copy probably.

MacDermott, B.

Modellers' & Enthusiasts' Guide to The SOMERSET & DORSET LINE

PSL, 1982 pp. 96. Station plans, many photos.

It is possible to scale off the track plan in the Judge and Potts Historical Survey of the S&D to get the ground plan. I did this for my model of Shillingstone and it is remarkably accurate given the small scale of the plan! Height of buildings can be worked out from photos counting brick courses.

June 1984 copy of Railway Modeller has the article on Evercreech by Shipley MRS

Hope this is of some use.

Regards

Roger

The Middleton Press book "Burnham on Sea to Evercreech Junction" by Vic Mitchell and Keith Smith has a good track plan and quite a few pictures of most of the major buldings.

The books by Ivo Peters also have a number of photos of the buildings .

A substantial number of the buildings still exist and I believe the wooden platform shelter is still at the Model Engineering Society site track at East Huntspill near Highbridge where it was re erected after the S & D closed.

It may also be worth contacting the Somerset and Dorset Trust Museum at Washford on the West Somerset Railway as they have a large photo and drawings archive.

• RMweb Gold

I've a couple of general views on flickr, (eg Evercreech) many others I've not uploaded. Unfortunately nothing specific of buildings, but can look for details if that's any help. Date around 1965.

Let me know if there's anything particular you're looking for

Dave

• 3 months later...

A recent boost in research has led me to discover how useful google maps can be. Especially when using street view. While a full aspect view is not quite possible, it certainly does allow some great scaling views. It worked well for me. Not sure how much use it could be to other modellers? But never the less, in my opinion, a valuable FREE tool ;)

ian

The NRM holds 4 large scale track plans of Evercreech Junction (undated) in the BR/OPC collection.

The references are 17946 (2 drawings) and 18004 (2 drawings)

An email to the Search Engine should confirm availability/price etc

HTH

Andy

Archived