The Visitor

• 1 month later...

Stunning work, especially for the space you had to deal with. Is the loco scratchbuilt or kitbashed? I quite like it.

Thanks. I think I mentioned the loco’s construction in the post where it first appears but here is a little bit more detail. It is 006.5, so 6.5mm gauge but 4mm scale - a minimum gauge loco. I wouldn’t quite describe it as kitbashed but neither is it scratchbuilt - just made out of odds and ends. The tanks and boiler (i.e. most of the body) are made from part of the body from a Roco H0e 0-6-0T ( like this: https://www.hattons.co.uk/128426/Roco_4100Roco_U_Eggerbahn_HOe_0_6_0_loco_Pre_owned_Poor_Box/StockDetail.aspx ) which I bought in a bag of bits from the 009 society sales stand. Some of the more continental fittings were removed and a GEM whitemetal chimney fitted. The chassis is from a plastic static Z gauge 0-6-0T loco I bought for £1 years ago, although I’ve been unable to trace the manufacturer of this. The cab floor is plasticard with plastruct side steps, thick styrene strip buffer beams and brass wire for the cab back handrail. The backhead is made from a lollipop stick end to get the shape, with plasticard over this. The gauge glass and lever on this are actually bits of brake gear from 009 wagons, while the big reversing lever (at least I think that’s what it would be) is a cosmetic point lever. The brake standard is a cut down 00 standard gauge one - a lovely turned brass item. The centre buffers/couplings are off an Egger works loco, with the hooks filed off and chains added instead. To create larger cylinders I have glued styrene half tube over the Z scale ones. Just before painting I realised the back of the loco didn’t quite look balanced so I added a Narobahn mine wagon wheel set at the back, making it into an 0-6-2T. I hope this is helpful - if you like it you can vote for it in the challenge. :)

Edited by 009 micro modeller

• 3 years later...

Hi everyone!

At some point I will try and repost the images in this thread although this may be difficult as most of them are on my old phone. I was under the impression that in this thread they mostly predated the period affected by the server crash but I’m not entirely sure.

The Visitor will be at the Silverfox exhibition in Milton Keynes on Saturday 20th August, as part of a display of various micro layouts and dioramas I have built. Cule’s Quarry, my other (working) cake box entry, unfortunately won’t be going this time due to space constraints but I will still have a good selection.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1