HELJAN UNVEILS ‘OO’ GAUGE 25/3 AND ‘ETHEL’ FOR 2019

Andy Y

. Not so sure about this one , as I thought the Bachmann one was a pretty decent effort. 

The problem with the Bachmann rat is the completely fictitious solebar representation - much like the underframe of Hornby's Black 5 tender - once seen you can't unsee it. I can live with (just about) the Margate Stanier faux pas, but really struggle with the Barwell Type 2.

Looking at the CAD, they appear to have at least got the cab side taper, missing off the Bachmann model (which results in the face/cab roof being wrong). Also, looks like the curve across the cab front is there. Will be interesting to see the final version when released.

Agreed, I am hopeful.  The facial and undergubbins treatment will win or lose it for me.

Some of those listed are late body style 25/2s not 25/3s. Differences were internal as 25/3s incorporated some early electronics I believe. What became 25/3 were D7598-D7677.

The first five late body style 25/2s D5233-7 were the only ones with train heating boilers.

Hattons have it listed at “from £129 powered” and “£99 unpowered”.

If that's the case, and its held at those prices, they might have a winner. Will be interesting to see what Bachmann do in terms of timescales to release their model before Heljan.

At that price, its cheaper than Bachmann and SLW if they do one. The motors are always good from Heljan.....exciting times ahead!

Definitely think that Hornby can put their old 25 into Railroad (Upgraded motor and DCC ready) for about £70, they'd have a winner. 

Or a rorty TTS job!   :angel:

Hattons have it listed at “from £129 powered” and “£99 unpowered”.

From the Hattons website: "Price is estimated - we will notify you if price rises and offer option to cancel".

I don't hold much hope of the models being sold at that price.

Mmmmm wonder what SLW feel about this as a class  25 was a natural 'next model ' to follow their Class 24 ......will they go for the early locomotives  :scratchhead:

They will strike revenge with a new class 33....

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Definitely think that Hornby can put their old 25 into Railroad (Upgraded motor and DCC ready) for about £70, they'd have a winner. 

I got mine for £9.95 in 1977 !  25 247 still going strong

• Like 2

I'm not interested in Ethel, but I might hang fire on a SYP 25...

From the Hattons website: "Price is estimated - we will notify you if price rises and offer option to cancel".

I don't hold much hope of the models being sold at that price.

Wait a year or so and they'll be going for £59 - £79 at Hattons like the Class 15, Class 16, Class 17, Class 26, Class 27 and Class 28 did.

And the Railcars, and the Class 128s....

And....  Well you get my drift!

• RMweb Gold

Mmmmm wonder what SLW feel about this as a class  25 was a natural 'next model ' to follow their Class 24 ......will they go for the early locomotives  :scratchhead:

Depends on whether SLW have progressed a 25 project - this is clearly and early announcement from Heljan and the timing is stated as 2019, not when in 2019 so could be 18 months+ away. If SLW can move quicker........

Depends on whether SLW have progressed a 25 project - this is clearly and early announcement from Heljan and the timing is stated as 2019, not when in 2019 so could be 18 months+ away. If SLW can move quicker........

I would like SLW to produce the class 25 rather than Heljan as no doubt the SLW one would be the better version in my mind, judging by the class 24.

• RMweb Gold

It seems to me that SLW have a very loyal following. It may be the case that they don't need to worry unduly about the big manufacturers. The question for any producer is "Can I sell enough of them at my price point to make a profit?"

With their track record (part pun intended) my gut feel is they could do a 25 at a profit.

• Like 2

A very interesting choice for sure, given the potential competition Heljan must feel they can nail the body shape on this. No doubt those same competitors will be watching this very closely too.

Otherwise it really only leaves the 25/0 to be "claimed" now?

• RMweb Premium

I'm not interested in Ethel, but I might hang fire on a SYP 25...

Wait a year or so and they'll be going for £59 - £79 at Hattons like the Class 15, Class 16, Class 17, Class 26, Class 27 and Class 28 did.

And the Railcars, and the Class 128s....

And....  Well you get my drift!

Not seen the 28s reduced . Down to £99 in Rails but that seems to be as low as they go