HELJAN UNVEILS ‘OO’ GAUGE 25/3 AND ‘ETHEL’ FOR 2019

Andy Y

Not seen the 28s reduced . Down to £99 in Rails but that seems to be as low as they go

They have been lower in the past.  Its the most recent batch that are at £99 with the weathered versions fetching more.

Why the comments about duplication? This gives credibility to the current Bachmann version which doesn't sufficiently represent a later style bodied 25 as the cab area and underframe especially, are simply not sufficiently representative of such a loco. The Sutton one doesn't exist yet and when will Bachmann get around to upgrading their version, given that we have been waiting how many years for the headcode box 24 version? When more than one of those three manufacturer's has actually produced the loco and got it out on sale, then perhaps we can discuss duplication.

Overall, a pretty long lived class which pretty much got everywhere on the network, but without a decent OO version available, so looks like a winner, especially if anything like the O gauge version. 

Mixed news for me to be honest, in my experience Bachmann and SLW chassis are much better runners than Heljan so hope this announcement doesn't cause Bachmann to bin their plans or disuade SLW from doing a 25/3 in the future.

Interesting announcement, especially given the potential for SLW to do their own. After the slab that was the O gauge class 25 I'm waiting until models appear, there has been a few too many silly errors made with previous models. The CADs do look promising around the cab and chassis, so hopefully they took on board the criticism from the 25/1 and will get this one right. Don't get me wrong, I hope they knock it out of the park and we finally get a decent 25/3...Or at least don't scupper a possible SLW model in the event of another faux pas; so we get a stunning 25/3 to the standard of that class 24.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Depends on whether SLW have progressed a 25 project - this is clearly and early announcement from Heljan and the timing is stated as 2019, not when in 2019 so could be 18 months+ away. If SLW can move quicker........

It’s not as if SLW have had the rug pulled from under them, the class 24 is nearly 3 years old and no hints were even suggested at moving on to a class 25.

Bachmann have been gazumped here though... first the 66 now the 25... I suppose the 47 will be next by someone else.

What worries me more is that we’re going the route of German modelling, where by everyone makes the most popular of everything in mass duplication. In that sense German modelling had a lost 2 decades from the late 70-90’s where little new entered the market except duplications. Little room for Imagination.

Sigh I suppose I should reluctantly now do what consumers are supposed to do...

wait for all 3 to hit the shelves, weigh them up on their merits and look for the price war.

I’d much preferred something new.

Edited by adb968008

I am in agreement with Desmond 158722. As a LMR boy and a Rat lover any improvement over the odd cab shaped Bachmann is a good one. Bachmann's pipeline is like Scotland's next World cup appearance..... worthy of patience. A better 40 and Peak wouldn't go amiss in OO too and whilst the Helaj 40 would need revisited around the windscreen area I didn't hear many complaints about the face/look of the O gauge Peak, so why not? Mr Suttons 24 is aa cracker but again, get the later 24s and 25/0 versions out first then a 25/2 ....it will be at a much higher price point too and may be several years away in any case. Congratulations Ben and team. 

• Like 1

Can Heljan confirm whether the Ethel's will be non-motorised so we don't have to pay loco prices for what is essentially a wagon (a la Bachmann!).

Overall great news, will have Ethels and a Tamworth.

Anyone want old Hornby 25's that I was going to convert!

Bets if Rapido 'Cabbage' GEN is a rule for thumb that it is cheaper to just build one chassis all with motors in and it means your trains will have double headed power when the real thing did not!

It would be nice if Helmand could make the body shell compatible with the Bachman chassis. They could then sell unpainted body shells as well.

Why would anyone want to do this, when the weakest area of the Bachmann one is the underframe/chassis? Not the running qualities admittedly, but rather the lack of any significant recess to the chassis.

In this example, you can't see any of the loco underframe, which is recessed well back from bodyside line - compare that with the Bachmann model.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/158722/28109147290/in/photolist-JPUJbw

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I have my 10 thou plastic card waiting to be scored and made into side grilles, and a pair of front doors. The Miliput is on stand by to fill in the cant rail grilles. Not too sure if I can be bothered with making a water tank so it might be one of the small NER batch of freight only engines, I am looking forward to making a 25/2 from it. 

Why haven't they gone for a 25/3 with tablet catcher recess? If I were Scottish I would be most put out.

Why would anyone want to do this, when the weakest area of the Bachmann one is the underframe/chassis? Not the running qualities admittedly, but rather the lack of any significant recess to the chassis.

In this example, you can't see any of the loco underframe, which is recessed well back from bodyside line - compare that with the Bachmann model.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/158722/28109147290/in/photolist-JPUJbw

I'm more bothered by the shape of the front windows on the Bachmann 25

• RMweb Premium

I'm more bothered by the shape of the front windows on the Bachmann 25

I find if I put my reading glasses on and keep the Bachmann 25 about 10 feet away it looks OK. Same trick works with the Hornby model. :blind:

Now when I saw my mate's Heljan 7mm loco I had to take my glasses off and stand 15 feet away for it to look OK. Same trick works for the DJH 4mm kit. :blind:

post-16423-0-61733800-1530897653_thumb.jpg

The DJH kit was purchased in that livery and has been waiting a repaint for many years.

Edited by Clive Mortimore

Interesting announcement, especially given the potential for SLW to do their own. After the slab that was the O gauge class 25 I'm waiting until models appear, there has been a few too many silly errors made with previous models. The CADs do look promising around the cab and chassis, so hopefully they took on board the criticism from the 25/1 and will get this one right. Don't get me wrong, I hope they knock it out of the park and we finally get a decent 25/3...Or at least don't scupper a possible SLW model in the event of another faux pas; so we get a stunning 25/3 to the standard of that class 24.

But that is surely the issue. If you get the CADs right then the loco should be right, but the 7mm scale boilered 25 isn't. That is a gaffe, and who is to say they they won't repeat the gaffe on the "restyled" bodyshell ?  I really hope Ben Jones can get this sorted out, but Heljan have form for messing up the cab ends on diesels. The 7mm class 47 above cab windsscreen area, ditto the 7mm class 31, as well as the boliered 25 cab fronts. 

The other factor to beware of is the detail variations of the 25s - starting out with silencer boxes and circular exhausts, and see through boiler grilles and bodyside steps. Dozens of 25s had the No 2 end boiler room area replated flush. I wonder if Heljan are going to choose numbers carefully to avoid these.

Here is a BR Sulzers image of 25123 showing the lack of any ralsed metal work where the boiler room grille and blanking plate used to be

https://www.derbysulzers.com/25123toton.jpg 

Its over to you Ben !!! 

Heljan UNVEILS ‘OO’ GAUGE 25/3 AND ‘ETHEL’ FOR 2019

All-new Derby/Sulzer Type 2 in ‘OO’ to follow the ‘O’ gauge version. Ten versions in development – PLUS first-ever ready-to-haul (RTH) ‘OO’ models of ETHEL train heating units!

Development work is well advanced on Heljan’s latest ‘OO’ gauge BR diesel locomotive project – the popular Derby/Sulzer Type 2 in its final Class 25/3 guise. The model will benefit from the research and development that has gone into our forthcoming ‘O’ gauge ‘25/3’ (due for release later this year) and is expected to make rapid progress towards a first release in 2019.

No fewer than TEN versions have been selected, covering a broad cross-section of BR green, BR blue and special liveries and offering a choice of London Midland, Scottish and Western Region prototypes from the mid-1960s to the late-1980s.

The model represents the final development of the 478 Derby/Sulzer Type 2s, which started with Class 24 in the late-1950s. Our model will cover the D5238-99 and D7500-D7677 batches, built by Derby Works and Beyer, Peacock of Manchester between December 1963 and April 1967.

For the first time, models will also be offered as the famous Scottish Region ‘ETHEL’ (Electric Train Heating Ex-Locomotive) train heating units converted from Class 25/3s as a short-term solution prior to the delivery of Class 37/4s in 1985. These machines later found work with InterCity’s Charter Unit, lasting into the 1990s.

The new Heljan Class 25/3 will feature our renowned high-performance chassis with all-wheel drive and all-wheel pick-up, illuminated headcode panels and marker lights, a 21-pin DCC decoder interface and provision for DCC sound.

All the above information about this project is subject to change, but more details about the specification and pricing will be announced as the project develops. Look out for updates on the Heljan Facebook page and in the model railway press.

Heljan CLASS 25/3 MODELS

2530 – BR two-tone green D7645 with small yellow panels

2531 – BR two-tone green D5244 with small yellow panels - WEATHERED

2532 – BR two-tone green D7550 with full yellow ends and BR blue data panel

2533 – BR early blue D7661 with small yellow panels

2534 – BR rail blue D7667 with full yellow ends (twin double arrows – 1,000th loco built at Derby Works)

2535 – BR rail blue 25252 (LMR) with full yellow ends (single, central double arrows) and headcode panel still in place

2536 – BR rail blue 25155 (WR) with full yellow ends (single, central double arrows) and headcode panel still in place- WEATHERED

2537 – BR Rail Blue 25093 (ScR/LMR) with bodyside numbers (single, centrally placed double arrows) and ‘domino’ headcodes

2538 – BR 25912 Tamworth Castle ‘Ice Cream Van’ livery with silver roof

2539 – BR Special two-tone green D7672 Tamworth Castle

2540 – BR blue/grey ETHEL1 ADB97250

2541 – InterCity ETHEL3 ADB97252

That's Sutton loco works shafted then!!!!!!!!!!   Shame.

Edited by charliepetty

That's Sutton loco works shafted then!!!!!!!!!!

Shafted by who though Charlie ?

could have been SLW "shafting" Bachmann with the class 24, or SLW shafting Bachmann with the "talk" of a 25, then Bachmann "shafting" SLW with the p;romise ofthe revamped 25 and 24/1, then Heljan "shafting" Bachmann and SLW.

I imagine the chaps in Margate have considering the electro diesel version of their DC electric, but we havn't heard yet.   

Not too bothered personally because I buy what is relevant to me. 

I really hope "helmand" make a great job of this.  If it holds its own parked up to my sLw 24s I'll be very happy and will get 5 or 6 at least.  Then again who knows who will be first to market, for all we know SLW could be working away behind the scenes, but somehow I think Heljan will get there first. 

• RMweb Gold

Heljan CLASS 25/3 MODELS

2530 – BR two-tone green D7645 with small yellow panels

2531 – BR two-tone green D5244 with small yellow panels - WEATHERED

2532 – BR two-tone green D7550 with full yellow ends and BR blue data panel

2533 – BR early blue D7661 with small yellow panels

2534 – BR rail blue D7667 with full yellow ends (twin double arrows – 1,000th loco built at Derby Works)

2535 – BR rail blue 25252 (LMR) with full yellow ends (single, central double arrows) and headcode panel still in place

2536 – BR rail blue 25155 (WR) with full yellow ends (single, central double arrows) and headcode panel still in place- WEATHERED

2537 – BR Rail Blue 25093 (ScR/LMR) with bodyside numbers (single, centrally placed double arrows) and ‘domino’ headcodes

2538 – BR 25912 Tamworth Castle ‘Ice Cream Van’ livery with silver roof

2539 – BR Special two-tone green D7672 Tamworth Castle

2540 – BR blue/grey ETHEL1 ADB97250

2541 – InterCity ETHEL3 ADB97252

I think it's a good choice, there is a fair scope for improvement over the Bachmann effort, and they did get around most of the country...

25252 is a strange choice though - it was the third 25/3 withdrawn in March 1980, and was also a green TOPS loco, so only carried blue in service for less than 5 years. 25253 would be a better option carrying blue livery for 12 years.