• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, Nick C said:

The signal looks great, your skills with the 3D printer are excellent, and really show how to incorporate modern tools and techniques into traditional modelling. 

Thanks Nick,

I’m sure for the purists it’s not 100% correct but I like how it’s turned out and that’s the main thing.

As far as skills go, when it comes to 3D printing as long as you can draw what you need you’re good to go

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I’ve got a cylindrical water tower kit with the option of either flat or conical top

Are there any stipulations as to which one would be the correct one or would either variation be acceptable on a mid-late thirties GWR branch line?

I’m assuming that it must be conical but I’m not sure

Edited by chuffinghell
Tower not tank
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold

Stick with the conical top Chris. 

Nothing else will do. It screams GWR. 

Rob. 

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

11 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

I’ve got a cylindrical water tower kit with the option of either flat or conical top

Are there any stipulations as to which one would be the correct one or would either variation be acceptable on a mid-late thirties GWR branch line?

I’m assuming that it must be conical but I’m not sure

Pointy hat jobbie for me, as Rob says; that screams GWR.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you've got the Ratio kit, beware: it's very tall! I don't know how accurate it is - there may have been some prototypes that big, but I'm not that knowledgeable about GWR matters. I have seen a drawing of a conical top water tank which was smaller, but for the life of me, I can't recall where. (Maybe GWRJ or even an early MRJ). I used it when I cut down a Ratio kit for Woodstowe. 

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/56402-woodstowe/

Don't ask me how I did it 'cos it was so long ago - must be getting on for 20 years now! I do remember there were a few compromises those ...

David C

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, David C said:

If you've got the Ratio kit, beware: it's very tall! I don't know how accurate it is - there may have been some prototypes that big, but I'm not that knowledgeable about GWR matters. I have seen a drawing of a conical top water tank which was smaller, but for the life of me, I can't recall where. (Maybe GWRJ or even an early MRJ). I used it when I cut down a Ratio kit for Woodstowe. 

Don't ask me how I did it 'cos it was so long ago - must be getting on for 20 years now! I do remember there were a few compromises those ...

David C

That's very useful info David, thanks.  I have the Ratio kit so I'll do some research before I actually put it together.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, lezz01 said:

You do know there's a motorised one available right? Just saying is all!! 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/403077449169?epid=21044294579&hash=item5dd949c5d1:g:s-kAAOSwV8ZhGpi4

Regards Lez. 

Thanks Lez

I did look at that but after watching a review on YouTube I thought it was a bit 'cheesy' personal opinion though I'm sure many like it but unfortunately for Dapol I'm not one of them :blush:

• Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, David C said:

David C

Thanks David, I'd not really considered the height, I was just going to build it 'as is' 

What you have built on Woodstowe does look right proportionally so you've give me something to think about

Chris

4 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

Here's one at Bodmin General:image.png.d959e018b3d62129ba791584b2d1e7ce.png

Thanks Stu :good:

• Like 1

Graham T: under current copyright law, I cannot post it on here, so the moderators will delete it. I can copy it for private use and send it to you, so you'd better PM me with your email address. On the other hand, Wild Swan may have back copies, but that is unlikely after so long.

Be warned that although the drawing is dimensioned, you can hardly read them.

David C

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

There’s also one at Minehead too. Presently the conical part is on the floor and the remainder is shrouded in scaffolding. If size is of utmost importance and if you can find a WSR volunteer you might be able to get some measurements off it while the works are happening?

• RMweb Gold

Minehead, 4th August 2018 (no cone):

IMG_20180804_122242r.jpg.491fe6c1e0d6b8e0fdd8411133733980.jpgIMG_20180804_122149r.jpg.79fbb19bbc16fa52560d912b1cfd02ca.jpg

In Great Western Branch Line Termini by Karau:

Hemyock - no cone, shorter barrel than above.

Watlington - cone, lots of photos (and scale drawing).

Wallingford - cone

Lambourn - cone

Fairford - no cone, very similar proportions to above.

P.S. There's a great photo on "Everything Great Western" showing how the weight at the end of the depth gauge can get blown around in the wind to make a pattern of arcs on the side of the tank.

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

Plate 473 Page 311 ‘A Pictorial Record of Great Western Architecture’ (A.Vaughan) shows a cone topped water tower at Swindon.
Plate 475 on the same page is a drawing of a typical “cone top” water tower, drawing shows a total height of  27 foot 3 inches.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Harlequin said:

Minehead, 4th August 2018 (no cone):

IMG_20180804_122242r.jpg.491fe6c1e0d6b8e0fdd8411133733980.jpgIMG_20180804_122149r.jpg.79fbb19bbc16fa52560d912b1cfd02ca.jpg

In Great Western Branch Line Termini by Karau:

Hemyock - no cone, shorter barrel than above.

Watlington - cone, lots of photos (and scale drawing).

Wallingford - cone

Lambourn - cone

Fairford - no cone, very similar proportions to above.

P.S. There's a great photo on "Everything Great Western" showing how the weight at the end of the depth gauge can get blown around in the wind to make a pattern of arcs on the side of the tank.

Thanks Phil

So basically I can do either way and ‘get away with it’ :lol:

Chris

• Like 2
  • Agree 2