• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

Thanks Al,

I was hoping to do a little more tomorrow but we’re out and about :scratchhead:

Always good to keep the domestic authorities happy. 

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
On 29/08/2021 at 20:11, Alister_G said:

That looks really good Chris.

Al.

looks better after a coat of primer

4C54FBE2-60E5-47C5-8D01-3278590E4603.jpeg.b1c29d414fcbf78cae9ee79a9163af38.jpeg

You can actually see the rivets now, I’ve tried to sand out the vertical layer lines but it’s difficult because I didn’t want to accidentally sand off a rivet or two

It’s not perfect but then all the photos I’ve looked at show them mostly knocked about and abused, in fact I was tempted to add a repair patch for authenticity but that would be going against the grain :lol:

Once it’s dry I’ll put it against the ratio one as a comparison, I think what I’ve done has better proportions but I’m obviously bias

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

it might be worth giving it a blast of filler primer

Not sure that will work though. Might even accentuate things. How about something like steel wool? Used sparingly, you could mask out the rivets quite easily.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

I think the lines add character, and I also like the idea of a patch repair, I'm sure they must have been needed at some point.

I have an excuse ready:

the cylinder rollers were on the blink in the workshop so they had to form the cylinder on the press-break using incremental bends :lol:

I suppose a patch would also add character, I’ve got some waffer thin plasticard somewhere :scratchhead:

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

I have an excuse ready:

the cylinder rollers were on the blink in the workshop so they had to form the cylinder on the press-break using incremental bends :lol:

I suppose a patch would also add character, I’ve got some waffer thin plasticard somewhere :scratchhead:

Use a piece of thin paper, instead of plasticard.  We have a block of notepaper next to the phone, it's surprising how many pieces 'disappear'...

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Gedward said:

Not sure that will work though. Might even accentuate things. How about something like steel wool? Used sparingly, you could mask out the rivets quite easily.

my thoughts were give it a coat of filler primer which is yellow then a light sanding would show the light and low spots?

Steel wool is a good idea, I may help to liberate some from work if we’ve got any

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I know you’re supposed to use the brass wire in the kit but I’ve used styrene rod instead only because it meant I could use liquid cement plus it takes paint better than brass

37DCAF9C-8F5E-4806-8CD3-199C27FE1F0B.jpeg.af58b4bcc67436bd322606dc4aee65cb.jpeg

Also added a lug for the chain while I was at it, I need to add a rod on the other side once this side has fully cured

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

Not a massive difference in height but then I didn’t want to just copy the kit version

7A4A53C5-992A-4F7F-929A-D0A370A41C52.jpeg.1ac02cd2d3f898447374d321bfe307d6.jpeg

I do need to have a look at doing a little additional sanding, it might be worth giving it a blast of filler primer :scratchhead:

Definitely looks better proportions wise, a lot more like the Lambourn example.

Edited by 57xx
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, Alister_G said:

I think it looks more likely where you have it.

Al.

I thought so but wasn’t sure, I don’t think it’s cast in stone because every photo of the real think I’ve looked at is different.

My thoughts were to attach the chain and have it looped under the outlet hose

Some I’ve seen have the valve chain looped onto the outlet tube then another looped to a post

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I do like a ‘mock-up’ before I commit myself

445D76AA-93F2-4209-9079-44584086BC3D.jpeg.3b103a9cc99aeca900304fb7eeff7595.jpeg

Filler primer applied and I’ve attempted to sand it a bit smoother, I won’t know if it’s worked until I’ve primed the whole thing

The outlet arm is angled downwards slightly as @Stubby47 suggested and the ladder with hoop is a ratio signal ladder (I just don’t get on well with brass :blush:) the operating lever is a 3D print that I drew up based on various photos (and using a little modellers license)

I’ve also added a strip of styrene down the side of the tank as the ‘level gauge’ I was going to add this afterwards but forgot and glued it on so I’ll to paint it in situ, not sure if I should go for black or black and white stripes?

because the outlet arm is on centre the chain doesn’t hang vertical making it look like the tank is out of square but it isn’t (checked and double checked) I could overcome this by rotating the arm……but I don’t really want too :lol:

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

because the outlet arm is on centre the chain doesn’t hang vertical making it look like the tank is out of square but it isn’t

I don't think anyone but you would have noticed, really.

Al.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Graham T said:

That does look rather nice!

Thank you

56 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

Are you missing a lower bracket to support the bottom end of the pipe triangle bit?

I’ve glued the outlet in place in the position and angle required, once it’s cured I’ll pop the angle bracket on afterwards. I didn’t want disturb the position. I’m probably making no sense but it seemed a good idea at the time :scratchhead:

50 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

I don't think anyone but you would have noticed, really.

Al.

Agreed only the fussy b*gger making it would notice such things :lol:

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Well “he who dares wins Rodney”

First coat of grey primer

4D570435-4ED4-4CC4-BB4F-20F8CF4C748C.jpeg.652cb22e9cfba5123cd87b15e9031dbd.jpeg

I drilled a hole in the top and bottom of the column so I could shove in a stick to keep my sticky paws off it whilst spraying it

I'm tempted to go back on what I originally planned and have the ladder on/in the ballast instead of on a slab, I’ll just have to be careful working around it once it’s in place

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

I’ve noticed on some photos there is a pipe up the side, would this be for filling or an overflow? As I always assumed the tank was filled up through the column so to my mind any additional pipework would be as an overflow

B552A119-6E9F-496B-9963-C8E51C091628.jpeg.e9b0ba0ccdd085c96017af54e19feaaf.jpeg

Some tanks have’um and some tanks don’t 

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3