• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

That looks brilliant mate, great job. Love the filler gauge.

Al.

Thanks Al

I must admit I’m quite pleased with how the filler gauge turned out

I’m glad I decided to do it half kit half printed/scratch built

No idea what I’ll ever need the top half of a water tower kit for, so if anyone needs spares let me know

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

20210828_164601.jpg.9183e750888d4be1ddb2d7829e6f29b4.jpg

Not quite any of them. The chain goes from the balance weight on the top and loops down low enough your mate can get it on the ground before climbing up and is attached to the front of the arm. Best of all if its raining you can stay in the dry, or if filling you can control the flow much better and be much less likely to over fill the tank and get wet feet.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Blandford1969 said:

20210828_164601.jpg.9183e750888d4be1ddb2d7829e6f29b4.jpg

Not quite any of them. The chain goes from the balance weight on the top and loops down low enough your mate can get it on the ground before climbing up and is attached to the front of the arm. Best of all if its raining you can stay in the dry, or if filling you can control the flow much better and be much less likely to over fill the tank and get wet feet.

Oh b*gger! :banghead:

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Blandford1969 said:

At the end of the day its your model so just apply rule one. 

The only reason I was going to ‘loop’ the chain was in case the tower wasn’t quite plumb and a vertically hanging chain would highlight it :lol:

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Thorness said:

I know nothing about how the chains were actually placed but I would have thought the loose chain hanging down from the valve would be very prone to blowing about dangerously in a strong wind.

me neither and you’re probably right

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Thorness said:

I know nothing about how the chains were actually placed but I would have thought the loose chain hanging down from the valve would be very prone to blowing about dangerously in a strong wind.

That's why one end was attached on a ring to the top end of the bag. Even in strong winds they do not blow about much. Which is possibly one other reason why they were not loose. As you will know any conventional column with a bag and chain normally has something that the chain is wrapped round. 

• RMweb Gold

This photo shows a chain from the valve to the back of the bag and a second chain from the underside of the outlet arm to a post

B5F8D3C8-F693-4231-98AA-0B0DFB1DAD2B.jpeg.e1d6b690fa8fd1f67d4f80aafce6c02a.jpeg

so although not correct as a compromise I think looping the chain from the valve to the lug and a second chain from the same lug to the post shouldn’t look too bad

75F41504-D758-459F-944F-89941681447D.jpeg.15cc040665bc6909c045de65e92e496e.jpeg

Unfortunately while messing about with the chain it appears the fire iron hook I used on the post is impervious to all adhesives known to man so I’m having to revert back to a bent bit of wire forced into a drilled hole which is much more secure 

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Lovely job, Chris. 

Really looks the part and is testament to the thought and effort that's gone into this. 

Rob. 

• Agree 8
  • Thanks 1