7 minutes ago, lezz01 said:

What? To make him buy a turkey? Make sure it's a GWR turkey.

Regards Lez.

A GWR turkey? They had one of those in their half assed streamline loco.

You may have been overthinking, twas merely to show young Christopher Cratchett the error of his ways, there's only one colour for a GWR Toad, it's not a New York police car during pride week...

Edited by MrWolf
Butter paws
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

8 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

They do things different at Warren so the handrails will be orange and the roof will be sky blue 🤣

Just so long as the roof isn't orange and the handrails sky blue. Then there really would be trouble.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, MrWolf said:

……Likewise the handrails would be as the bottom picture by your time period….

Having been reassured that I’ve done it correctly regarding the handrails I’ve tested out my DIY handrail jig and I have to confess that I’m pleasantly surprised it actually works

6EFB7BB4-E1DF-414F-8D28-2BA283EB082F.thumb.jpeg.cac5618f01e33a7b3440494ea3c3fa89.jpeg

D11C6061-8397-4DFB-89D3-E0B6B7485781.thumb.jpeg.f7993bb8d86a03c118381dea7efcef80.jpeg

However I’ve used 0.33 dia rod because being so close to the edge I think I might struggle with 0.45mm.

will I get away with it?

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5
  • Round of applause 1

38 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

will I get away with it?

The 0.33mm is closer to scale than the .45mm, I think. From http://www.gwr.org.uk/nobrakes.html, 3/4" bar was used up to 1912 and 1 3/32" gas pipe from then on. 

At scale, 3/4" is 0.25mm and 1 3/32" is 0.36mm, so provided you're modelling a post-1912 van, your 0.33mm is pretty much spot on.

We can (just this once!) turn a blind eye to something you produce being 0.03mm too large. 😀

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, BroadLeaves said:

We can (just this once!) turn a blind eye to something you produce being 0.03mm too large. 😀

phew, that’s a relief 😁

I think I can just about live with being 0.03mm out

I’m sure it’s a lot more than 0.03mm out in quite a few areas but I was just concerned the handrail might look too thin

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

38 minutes ago, lezz01 said:

Yeh it looks very good Chris. I might have to get one of those jigs myself.

Regards Lez.

I know the manufacturer quite well- we used to go too school together.

I can put in a word for you and get one at cost.

Just send us your bank details and when were you born again?

Yours

His Serene Highness Prince Albert

C/o Nigerian Embassy

• Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

How about the handrails on other models are too thick? We've been used to handrails that are nearer a scale 2" on a lot of models for years.

Possibly why I think what I’ve done looks odd?

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

You know I usually just make a jig for handrails out of odd scraps of wood but given that I'm a toolmaker from back in the day I might as well just make a proper one out of mild steel as I have some 1.5mm sheet laying around in my workshop......somewhere!

Regards Lez.

Edited by lezz01
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

Possibly why I think what I’ve done looks odd?

Out of curiosity I have checked the handrail material on an old Mainline Dean Goods and the handrail material is 0.5mm which scales out at one and a half inches.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Sorry to hear your health news, Chris. From what folks say around my part of the world some people need a couple of days in bed, but it's shorter lived than 'flu and not quite as bad. I had my second booster last weekend as I am now classed as vulnerable. I still wear a mask in shops and other places where people gather as I cannot risk getting Covid with my op looming.

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

Sorry to hear that, Chris. 

There does appear to be a lot of it  about at present. I've heard of a few people getting struck down in the last week or so. 

Rob. 

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Sorry to hear that Chris, we both had it in the January before it was fashionable, it  was bad for three or four days and then lingered at a tedious level for a couple of weeks. Of course we didn't realize what it was until later when the lockdown began and I can vouch for @Graham Ts comments that alcohol does work, despite my other half having a low tolerance for the stuff.

• Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Graham T said:

Ouch, sorry to hear that Chris.  Remember that, despite what some might say, alcohol is in fact a solution!

Never really been a big drinker, I’ve got some Guinness in the fridge if you think that will help?

6 hours ago, Rowsley17D said:

Sorry to hear your health news, Chris. From what folks say around my part of the world some people need a couple of days in bed, but it's shorter lived than 'flu and not quite as bad. I had my second booster last weekend as I am now classed as vulnerable. I still wear a mask in shops and other places where people gather as I cannot risk getting Covid with my op looming.

Thank you. Of late I’ve not been anywhere other than work and back, our receptionist was coughing and spluttering Monday and Tuesday then called in sick on Wednesday saying she’d tested positive. I’d been testing negative since Monday because of how she was but it wasn’t until Friday evening I tested positive

Personally I think it was irresponsible of her to come to work considering a number of members of staff are classed as vulnerable and others partners are

Fortunately I don’t have any health issues that I’m aware of (unless stupidly counts but there’s no cure for that) it’s surprising how hard it’s hit especially after having three jabs and managing to avoid it up until now

4 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Sorry to hear that, Chris. 

There does appear to be a lot of it  about at present. I've heard of a few people getting struck down in the last week or so. 

Rob. 

Thanks Rob

To be honest I thought the worst of it was over but obviously not

4 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Sorry to hear that Chris, we both had it in the January before it was fashionable, it  was bad for three or four days and then lingered at a tedious level for a couple of weeks. Of course we didn't realize what it was until later when the lockdown began and I can vouch for @Graham Ts comments that alcohol does work, despite my other half having a low tolerance for the stuff.

I’m not usually a follower of fashion so it’s it currently fashionable it’s very much out of character for me

As stated above I’m not a big drinker, the aforementioned Guinness in the fridge has probably been there over a year

• Friendly/supportive 7

I think that it's gone out of fashion, but still contagious.

The sort of silly bu66ers who are being "mucus martyrs" now and coming into work are the same type who also didn't want furlough to end I notice. Me me me...

Hopefully you will soon be well enough to do some modelling during your isolation period.

Nil desperandum.

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

I appreciate I’m doing things the wrong way round but I needed to do something on the layout to try and reenergise the enthusiasm.

so I thought maybe if I make a start on the canal that my encourage me to carry on

So I started with a cardboard template to give me the general idea

AB8DDD49-85D4-4B70-962E-78B3D8FDBCAC.thumb.jpeg.6c784bfe42c5e7d6f8432bdcead11a9e.jpeg

Because the shape and size of the goods yard has evolved this had an impact on the canal as I wanted it to follow the contour of the layout (after all a canal is a man made structure)

After setting it out I wasn’t happy with the strange curve as it turned the corner

4FD47B74-57A2-490D-B37D-235482E3BB1B.thumb.jpeg.43cf4bb9e9289f15f2f88ca458b13b45.jpeg

So after a little hacking and using an off cut of hardboard I managed to make it a more sweeping curve

14C832EB-1235-4B77-9D3D-9AA510B9CEB4.thumb.jpeg.0f7300b2c41a3f4ae085b275a582d3e8.jpeg

41D9213C-656C-43C4-8C46-D3FB18A6009F.thumb.jpeg.42d963eb24de70112a2cf7c635d2373c.jpeg

Once happy(ish) I started messing about with cardboard

1EBF1DF5-45AE-4A1C-8947-EC1630301C21.thumb.jpeg.2bbd97647f5033b6c1c7a13b2d27e488.jpeg

7CEECE81-B1ED-4819-AFEE-21C4FAACD798.thumb.jpeg.2b8e8028ff8072c9470b8881610ed088.jpeg

The cut in the embankment is for the coal fired pump house taking delivery of coal from the canal and supplying water to the railway

BF0AC295-D53C-4086-AD57-B371697AA89B.thumb.jpeg.84ecf161d314f8182fb85a4eac14efdc.jpeg

more to follow….

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Armed with the cardboard template next came the woodwork

The bottom layer is 3mm hardboard….

F7BEEF6A-71D2-487E-8A22-759E379BE23B.thumb.jpeg.7f12eaca9810465a074c1847d2a011f8.jpeg

…..followed by a 9mm MDF layer, marked out….

168ABCB1-D1FE-483E-B3EA-57408F24E02B.thumb.jpeg.f5bd18945941a9bfc6d224543c9ccf25.jpeg

….and cut, it’s a bit wobbly because I’m really not very good with a jigsaw so hopefully I can hide that with the canal edging….

1A78C354-6457-4C0D-B828-7401B72E3924.thumb.jpeg.87ace49b0a987f38f6e8a59926fc21f4.jpeg

…..used a bit of card to get the feel for how the embankment might look

5AB91D59-2264-41D4-8EC6-FB6ED4EC6ACE.thumb.jpeg.60ded5ec3d1cf7d3010e3feb6e2fb3af.jpeg

Joins were unavoidable many because I couldn’t fit more than 4ft sheet in the car, so I’ll use duck tape to hopefully seal the joins before pouring any resin

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

There is no 'wrong way round', when it comes to the order of building a model railway, just do things in what ever order you feel like!

This proves that you're good at both kinds of CAD too - computer and cardboard!

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1