• RMweb Gold

Unfortunately Ratio don’t appear to supply matching sheet material so I’ve done the best I can drawing up and 3D printing matching(ish) wing walls

59C8D285-83C8-4262-ABE6-B0C17C3A58A8.jpeg.6bbea67624dc8d310c2f35821250ca63.jpeg

this is just a test, after a trial fit I’ve determined that I need them to be about 20mm longer but other than that it’s turned out quite well.

Tried my best to do a random pattern

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4
  • Round of applause 1

Definitely, I like the realistic tapered coping stones too. I do think that the capstone on the pillar would look better with a pyramid shaped top though, if I was to offer constructive criticism.

Once all is painted and the pump house placed in front of it, the mortar courses won't be noticeable on the Ratio parts.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, simonmcp said:

Your wing walls stonework looks better than Ratio's. The mortar gaps are finer.

Thank you, however I’ve changed the drawing so the individual stones now have rounded edges creating a larger mortar gap to better match the retaining wall

1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

…..the capstone on the pillar would look better with a pyramid shaped top though….

The latest version does have a pyramid top

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, simonmcp said:

Your wing walls stonework looks better than Ratio's. The mortar gaps are finer.

Rounded stone edges, giving a slightly larger mortar gap better matching the Ratio retaining wall

08B2D232-A560-4F62-B71B-E3BDDCBA92D6.jpeg.706e7e0845bd96bc2deb30c41aeafa2b.jpeg

2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

the capstone on the pillar would look better with a pyramid shaped top though

only a slight ‘pyramid’

3BF7DDBF-C7F3-439E-95F5-526D21FA42D0.jpeg.424b40d95e7dc08fbe3f42fa8bac8294.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

1 hour ago, chuffinghell said:

Thank you, however I’ve changed the drawing so the individual stones now have rounded edges creating a larger mortar gap to better match the retaining wall

The latest version does have a pyramid top

I had a feeling that both of those things would be on your list to improve, especially as you have the ability to modify your own creations.

I'm working on a few things, then going back and modifying them on the grounds that "a real one doesn't look like that".

The OCD is currently extending to brass maker's and operating instructions plates on bits of workshop machinery.

• Informative/Useful 1

8 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Does this help?

Slight pyramid describes it well.

P1000839.jpg.7ac2f0a72f7232d27184c43103ad0f5c.jpg

Nice bit of detailing on the sides and on the ridges. The thing though you have watch is that this is for the canal and they wouldn't want to go to a lot of expense. It would be utilitarian rather than ornate. Now of course someone will prove me wrong by posting a photo of very ornate coping stone.

• RMweb Gold

One thing I’m not sure about is the sequence to doing the canal

I thought I might be better to pour the resin before doing any static grass because I thought perhaps doing it first would reduce the risk of any loose/stray bits falling onto the resin while it cures

Alternatively pour the resin last making sure there is not stray bits?

Not quite sure of the right or wrong way

@NHY 581 added some water to one of his layouts recently. He may have some handy tips.

Is the water is going to be in any way translucent? What I have seen done, but have no experience of doing myself, is to put some plants in the space where the water will be and then fill in the water afterwards, so the plants are underwater in the finished article.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

The visible edge of canal is edged in stone so I wasn’t planning on having any plants in the water to be honest.

If it were a stream then I would do just that. If it wasn’t for being set mid thirties it would have tyres and shopping trolleys in it though 🤣

I’m pretty sure doing the canal first won’t do any harm provided it cures rock hard

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, KNP said:

If it was me and as the canal is easily accessible then the water finish would be one of the last jobs I would do.

Finish all the close messy bits first.

I’ve no doubt that you’re right and I know it makes perfect sense to do that

I’ll just have to make sure any stray bits are thoroughly hovered up

• RMweb Gold

It all depends on what you're going to use for the water. If it's going to be varnish then watch out that it don't creep up the side whilst it's wet. Capillary action sucks!!! 

Regards Lez.

Edited by lezz01
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

9 minutes ago, lezz01 said:

It all depends on what you're going to use for the water. If it's going to be varnish then watch out that it don't creep up the side whilst it's wet. Capillary action sucks!!! 

Regards Lez.

Oxymoron alert! Please be aware that an oxymoron has been used in the above passage.

• Funny 2

I used quite a thick varnish (Rustin's) for the water on my layout, pushed into awkward corners with a sharp stick and a small brush before being allowed to self level. Three coats were applied with about 48 hours between each.

I painted the base with acrylic in a green/brown colour (think cow dung!) which stopped the varnish looking tinted, although it does dry very clear anyway.

Edited by MrWolf
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

Wing walls MKIII

I’ve done yet another redraw, this time making them approx 20mm longer

B0A57E8F-251C-49FA-ACB3-A6CCC3025B35.jpeg.5fc7ae92c4ef14e6cc413e65d2723f2a.jpeg

What I could have done was draw say the right hand side and simply done a ‘mirrored copy’

But where’s the fun in that? It’s highly unlikely that in the real world they would be identically matched so although they are practically a mirror imagine I’ve added subtle differences

55D272C2-52BB-41FD-8833-397D8AABE35B.jpeg.ceda20e6f45ef6160e96ec7957123ba6.jpeg

34DEDCC8-D81B-4434-8D8F-73D5536EDFE0.jpeg.0699a1ab1677a070df45f665fed8567d.jpeg

Although I doubt it would be noticed unless pointed out

Additional

The brick pattern is as ‘random’ as my OCD would allow….it’s actually more difficult to ‘do random’ than I thought it would be

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 8

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

I’ve got some Woodland Scenics ‘realistic water’ that I’ll be using

I’m painting the base with olive drab

Will you be varying the shade to give the illusion of the different depths across the canal?

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, 57xx said:

Will you be varying the shade to give the illusion of the different depths across the canal?

To be honest I wasn’t going to bother doing that, wasn’t sure it would make much difference….I’ll consider it now though

• RMweb Gold

Have you got enough "realistic water" to do a small test section? That way you can try without risking the layout. Not wanting to sow any more seeds, but... I was also thinking that since the edge of the canals are surprisingly shallow you might want to try some small stones at the edges.

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, 57xx said:

Have you got enough "realistic water" to do a small test section? That way you can try without risking the layout…..

I should have enough so I think that would be a very good idea

I've started the platform edging butchery this afternoon

73AA0714-4E8E-4043-A888-3C553286CEA7.jpeg.c1fa38a4ebade1a85f00807122f243c6.jpeg

I’ve done a little cutting and carving in an effort to disguise the Joints, just butting them together would have a visible join from top to bottom 

3583ADAD-CC0C-4290-971E-2EED0A4D074C.jpeg.ca104c3a1b105386eaac2712eefd04c1.jpeg

I’m cutting up Ratio platforms because I happened to have some that a bought before starting the layout but ended up doing the platform differently….I knew they would be useful for something. The edging stones are cut off the edge of the platform tops

The olive drab is a woodlands scenics product that is supposed to undercoat and seal the bed before pouring the water…. I expected it to be a thick ‘gloop’ but it just seems like ordinary acrylic paint to me (just more expensive) but it says it’s specifically for their realistic water products so…..

• Like 13