• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Rowsley17D said:

Looks very uniform Chuffers. Do you not want a bit of variation here and there?

I have tried to add a little variation on the brickwork that doesn’t appear to have been picked up on camera, perhaps I should add some more

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 1

The colour looks surprisingly like cowmuck.

Which is perfect.

If you want to add variation, more dark blue/green increasing towards the centre of the canal, but you don't need much to be honest. That will make the water look deeper.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

The colour looks surprisingly like cowmuck.

Which is perfect.

If you want to add variation, more dark blue/green increasing towards the centre of the canal, but you don't need much to be honest. That will make the water look deeper.

oh! I thought @Rowsley17D was referring to the brickwork I’ve just added

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I thought the brickwork (stone blocks?) looked okay with the lighter highlights. I must admit that some of my stuff doesn't show up well on camera, especially the red brickwork and grey stonework.

I thought you were talking about the canal in between the phone dropping out. 

I also think that a regularly used canal with stone walls to both banks would be of even depth and colour, thinking of the canal locally, so disregard my previous comments.

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I thought the brickwork (stone blocks?) looked okay with the lighter highlights. I must admit that some of my stuff doesn't show up well on camera, especially the red brickwork and grey stonework.

I thought you were talking about the canal in between the phone dropping out. 

I also think that a regularly used canal with stone walls to both banks would be of even depth and colour, thinking of the canal locally, so disregard my previous comments.

I perhaps should go over the stone with some ‘smoke’ weathering powder or a dark wash to darken them up?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

I perhaps should go over the stone with some ‘smoke’ weathering powder or a dark wash to darken them up?

And some green for the algae, as per your original section of  wall, to show the high water mark.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, 57xx said:

And some green for the algae, as per your original section of  wall, to show the high water mark.

The green growth tends to creep up the walls as the damp rises up the stonework, so that is a good point.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, MrWolf said:

The green growth tends to creep up the walls as the damp rises up the stonework, so that is a good point.

I tried masking off so that there would be a green line above the water line but I’ve had to guess where that might be and after applying a coat of Matt varnish you can’t see it in some areas….also the masking tape took off some of the canal undercoat  🥺

This is an area where it’s visible

ADF7D054-6E30-478C-8C1A-64D1DDCC4122.jpeg.2d72e68e212964475d11f67ab0751aed.jpeg

I intend to pour the resin just below the second brick course so hopefully I’ll end up with a green line above the water line

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

STUPID QUESTION ALERT

Does it really matter that there isn’t a ‘green line’ the full length of the canal?

Because you can’t really see in some places, here for example

986BA870-353F-4A28-B4A7-47ADF9D75512.jpeg.da5c99be2c031dcf3b1215df67f25687.jpeg

If it does matter I might have mask up again and use a green paint instead of weathering powder

• Like 5

Just now, chuffinghell said:

STUPID QUESTION ALERT

Does it really matter that there isn’t a ‘green line’ the full length of the canal?

If it does matter I might have mask up again and use a green paint instead of weathering powder

Nice and simple - No

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

STUPID QUESTION ALERT

No, it doesn't and the growth of assorted greenery doesn't seem to care much about the high water mark either, more about how porous the stone is particularly in fresh water conditions.

• Agree 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, chuffinghell said:

No. It's far better and more natural if it isn't visible in places.

Al.

• Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

Along with everyone else, I think it would look better and more natural with some randomness around the ''green line" as things don't always grow evenly. It's all looking very good Chris, keep up the fantastic work. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

While awaiting for some materials to arrive I’ve turn my attention to the edging of the layout

I used plywood but where the layout met the fiddleyard there was a 1mm step (petty I know)

5B3B75A5-9EB3-45DF-A38A-97531FB405A5.jpeg.3661996fb3cfc44c9befd496d0ae6316.jpeg

Also I wasn’t happy with the step for the road level so I had a little think and I’ve skinned it with plasticard

71023DCD-D81E-4340-ABA0-BC6A2A268A3B.jpeg.6b356c5bef41ea769bf9f1a52c43593e.jpeg

ignore the filler as that will disappear when painted

• Like 10

Nice job, but it's now put in a reminder for my to do list. I've painted the front of my boards (150mm deep) matt black, because it's easy to keep patching in as I have made alterations (or a mess!) but it will receive a paler colour towards the finish that blends in with the room better so that it doesn't look so cramped.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I should have know better but the filler hasn’t adhered to the plasticard (useful to know if I need to make a mould for something)

Anyway, no bother as I’ve now used car body filler instead. I’m hoping once built up I can sand a radius where the plasticard meets the plywood

you guessed it, a slow modelling day today. My excuse for not doing much is that I forgot to order stuff in time for a weekend delivery, the real reason is that I CBA today other than chill

• Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Nice job, but it's now put in a reminder for my to do list. I've painted the front of my boards (150mm deep) matt black, because it's easy to keep patching in as I have made alterations (or a mess!) but it will receive a paler colour towards the finish that blends in with the room better so that it doesn't look so cramped.

the main reason for completing the edging is so I can finish the opposite canal bank as I’ll use the edge of the boards as a guide

I need to touch up areas that I’ve already painted but that’s par for the course

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I spend half my modelling time repainting splodged edges, I wouldn't worry about it.

half of my time is spent over thinking, underestimating my abilities and concerning myself with what you guys think (because I value other’s opinions and want to get it right)

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold

Ahem.........

half of my time is spent over thinking,

Go with your gut. If it looks right, it probably is.....

underestimating my abilities

Probably but you clearly  have no idea how good you really are at this train stuff..........

and concerning myself with what you guys think

Please don't. We think you're a very clever, skilled chap who never fails to impress. 

Right, that's that put to bed, move on. 

SB. 

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 1
  • Agree 12
  • Thanks 1