• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Ahem.........

half of my time is spent over thinking,

Go with your gut. If it looks right, it probably is.....

underestimating my abilities

Probably but you clearly  have no idea how good you really are at this train stuff..........

and concerning myself with what you guys think

Please don't. We think you're a very clever, skilled chap who never fails to impress. 

Right, that's that put to bed, move on. 

SB. 

thank you Rob

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

I’ve made a start on the opposite bank, the first layer of filler has been applied over polystyrene blocks cut to shape

1E8F524A-4E5F-4A3C-8F1B-62B02A27370D.jpeg.6f454e61cdfcb05d2adfa0ad17dd57d6.jpeg

Once that’s dry I can apply more layers and after that the brown paint goes on

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Unfortunately I’ve made a bit of a ‘pigs ear’ around the bend because the filler had started to dry but another layer will hopefully sort that out

819532E5-342E-4CF2-92B8-E58F2CFED816.jpeg.392fabec4441e3142c19aeaf5df2e0e3.jpeg

I wish I’d done the tunnel mouth differently as it would have been better to have the embankment this side going down to the canal edge but it might look odd if I do that

7766B5E2-A710-47D4-94AF-1B4C02F4391F.jpeg.85661837e66229592cdfcb4ac424a7f4.jpeg

• Like 7

Not sure on that Chris. It looks a bit odd with the “path” under the tunnel. Is there any way you could slope the ground under the tunnel? I agree the embankment would look better sloping to the edge of the canal.

By the way I think the “pigs ear” filler looks fine; you’ll be covering it up with rough grass and foliage anyway as I can’t see this side of the canal being as well tended as the railway side.

• Thanks 1

Most of the time there would only be a path on one side.

This is a picture I took whilst walking along the side of the Oxford canal so some overgrown shrubs and trees would hide a multiple of sins.....!

DSC_0004.JPG.e33f80632584da284d5dede94de583b2.JPG

Edited by KNP
  • Like 5
  • Agree 7
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Tortuga said:

Not sure on that Chris. It looks a bit odd with the “path” under the tunnel. Is there any way you could slope the ground under the tunnel? I agree the embankment would look better sloping to the edge of the canal.

By the way I think the “pigs ear” filler looks fine; you’ll be covering it up with rough grass and foliage anyway as I can’t see this side of the canal being as well tended as the railway side.

possibly the angle of the previous photo as there is only a path on the opposite side as it was intended for this side to be overgrown

7405B291-7570-4237-98AD-DE10E5B27B16.jpeg.955fbe362e17aeafbf9d894ed8b8399c.jpeg

Poor planning on my part, I should have left off the wing wall on that side really

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps softening the base of the embankment would help (red arrow)

85F4880F-0F77-457E-A04A-D93919EAC379.jpeg.2001c68c4016d3ad5e7d479d87859643.jpeg

lots of bushy greeny stuff on the flat bit (green arrow) and over the wing wall?

3E12612B-0C2B-4A55-9F95-A50022A7388B.jpeg.dabb4ef4342a4b0de00c5657a3a369e0.jpeg

?

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

I think that would work well, not only is it prototypical to prevent the bank slumping easily, the build up of material from keeping the canal clear would add to it. What would also soften the edges is a bit of ivy growing up the wing wall on that side, blending into the bushy areas. As @MAP66says, it's going to be hidden by undergrowth anyway.

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, MAP66 said:

Chris, there's no need to soften the edge of the embankment as all the green bushy stuff will hide the angle anyway.

Very true, I thought softening it would help me visualise it.

I have to fight my SLOCD (straight line OCD) 

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Something I do to help visualise a scene is to recreate the area in question on a card template off-scene. Then detail the area and offer it up to see how it looks on the layout. This is particularly helpful if your not over confident with scenery. When you're happy with the final result, it can then be permanently fixed in place on the layout. I did this on Tyteford Halte on the boggy ground area near the tunnel mouth.

By the way, all looks very good Sir, I know you will crack it eventually, whichever way to go.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

I work on ideas for railways the same as I do with my paintings, lots of small quick sketches. Done that way you don't obsess about absolute accuracy, that comes further along the process. You don't need to be an artist, you can make a symbol for a bridge, tree, gate or signal.

It only needs to make sense to you, nobody else.

IMG_20211120_162247.jpg.d08ba1be97bee773025fbbef096dc204.jpg

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 4

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I'm not sure how clear things would have been kept in the 1930s, but the canals weren't exactly making a profit by that period either.

Pretty much at their lowest ebb at that point I think - most of the freight had gone over to the railways, but the idea of leisure cruising hadn't been invented (the Inland Waterways Association was founded in 1946, by Tom Rolt - who was, of course, also one of the founders of railway preservation...)

Edited by Nick C
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, Nick C said:

Pretty much at their lowest ebb at that point I think - most of the freight had gone over to the railways, but the idea of leisure cruising hadn't been invented (the Inland Waterways Association was founded in 1946, by Tom Rolt - who was, of course, also one of the founders of railway preservation...)

Traditional canal traffic was finished off largely by the two hard winters in 1947 and 1963. See "Bread upon the Waters" by David Blagrove.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I work on ideas for railways the same as I do with my paintings, lots of small quick sketches. Done that way you don't obsess about absolute accuracy, that comes further along the process. You don't need to be an artist, you can make a symbol for a bridge, tree, gate or signal.

It only needs to make sense to you, nobody else.

IMG_20211120_162247.jpg.d08ba1be97bee773025fbbef096dc204.jpg

Nice sketch wolfy old chap. You certainly have a good grip on perspective.

Regards Lez.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

Poor planning on my part, I should have left off the wing wall on that side really

No it isn't poor planning.  The wing wall is still needed on that side to support the embankment beneath the wall alongside the road and stop it spreading sideways.

I realise you're fighting OCD, Chris, but as others have said all you need to do is slap some brown paint over that rough plaster and plant some assorted undergrowth.  Your work thus far on this layout has been excellent and it will come together again on this bit as you plant more assorted greenery.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, teaky said:

…..I realise you're fighting OCD, Chris, but as others have said all you need to do is slap some brown paint over that rough plaster and plant some assorted undergrowth…..

ah, now, maybe I should have read this first before applying a second layer of filler 

184CEF10-46CD-41C0-AC47-D507132C9EC6.jpeg.c4910ca01f65115d1f80570204b1227a.jpeg

oops 

• Like 3
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4