• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, teaky said:

You've missed a bit.

Just kidding.  Don't ever take up landscape gardening.  You'll never get soil to do that.  😀

I could maybe take up cake icing and decorating though

• Funny 6

5 minutes ago, RedGemAlchemist said:

Doubt there'd be much cake left after you put a six-ton crane on top of it...

Knowing Chris he would find a way to 3d print one out of the correct type of royal icing...

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
On 03/08/2022 at 16:51, teaky said:

……but as others have said all you need to do is slap some brown paint over….

brown paint slapped in place as requested….

1AB1BD65-5377-442E-A31F-6CC3D9BD8BFA.jpeg.48ad19c30499b5c159b18e2875fb22c3.jpeg

F88374F5-E1D3-4C18-BF2A-3195A4468E46.jpeg.60820480597efb3bf3af6641c600cda8.jpeg

……needs a second slapping though

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

I thought brown paint was a mixture of yellow and red.

But that's just me I suppose.

Can I say I like the green?

It’s just a generic acrylic ‘dog poo brown’ I believe 🤣

I’m crap at remembering what colours to mix to make other colours, @MrWolf is the man for that.

yes I like the green too ‘olive drab’

once the static grass goes on the brown will disappear…..until I hover it and realise there’s a brown patch where I missed with the glue 😂

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

It’s just a generic acrylic ‘dog poo brown’ I believe 🤣

La merd de la chein if you're using posh oil paints.

I’m crap at remembering what colours to mix to make other colours, @MrWolf is the man for that.

I can't always remember what day it is. 

I know that you can get into trouble if you wake up in the morning and ask "Who the **** are you?"

yes I like the green too ‘olive drab’

As different to 50s bathroom green or Shed green.

once the static grass goes on the brown will disappear…..until I hover it and realise there’s a brown patch where I missed with the glue 😂

You could always lie your a** off and say the bare patches in the bank are rabbit scrapes or plant a bush.

There's no judgement here...

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I know that you can get into trouble if you wake up in the morning and ask "Who the **** are you?"

About the only thing worse than that is when the other party asks you that question.

Don't ask how I know this.

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold

I have a notebook in my paint box that I write down how I made colours. That way I can always replicate them again when needed. A little OCD I know but then I am a little OCD anyway. 

Regards Lez.

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

5 hours ago, lezz01 said:

I have a notebook in my paint box that I write down how I made colours. That way I can always replicate them again when needed. 

Likewise, especially as there are certain colours that I use in almost every painting.

• Like 3

Reading the comments on how the canal bank looks, a couple of thoughts occurred to me

I might be wrong but it looks like there is a managed bank & stonework on both sides of the canal?

much of the canal network has a managed towpath & stonework facing, with an unmanaged margin opposite - trees and shrubs to the waterline but in some places both banks are faced with stone with a towpath-like flat area  - probably lots of reasons for the stonework, but it’s more expensive so presumably needs a good reason for the canal company to do it

industry collection point

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Bugsworth_058069.jpg#mw-jump-to-license (credit: RHaworth)
(which reminds me - check there is towpath clearance next to the crane by the pump house)

- easy berthing both sides (frequently near a lock, where you moor up to drop or collect crew)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canals_of_the_United_Kingdom#/media/File%3AOxford_Canal_at_Hillmorton.jpg 

- prevents subsidence (slumping) and protects from wash damage to the bank

- might it help with water retention in areas of porous rock where the bed is well above the water table?

this is very similar to your arrangement

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:ChesterfieldCanalMillGreenBridge.jpg#mw-jump-to-license (credit Bob1960evens )

It’s looking good - insert whatever reasoning required to stay inside Rule 1

[sorry about the rather clumsy photo links but I saw the trouble Mr Wolf found & am trying not to generate more … and on this forum with my iPad I’m not sure how to in-line the images, which does look better)

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

It's always worth using a limited palette when learning colour mixing. You really don't need a huge amount of different hues. You can mix a lot of what you need with just the three primary colours plus maybe a burnt umber. And then after a time, you'll not need the notes.

I never take my own advice though. 😎

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, SimonDCC said:

Reading the comments on how the canal bank looks, a couple of thoughts occurred to me

I might be wrong but it looks like there is a managed bank & stonework on both sides of the canal?

much of the canal network has a managed towpath & stonework facing, with an unmanaged margin opposite - trees and shrubs to the waterline….

I wouldn’t say you are wrong because what I’ve done so far does look that way, however only the towpath side is faced in stone the opposite side will be grassed and have bushes and trees etc which I will take right upto (and most probably over) the edge to try and break up the neat edge

Thank you for posting the links to the photos, very useful

Edited by chuffinghell

29 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

I wouldn’t say you are wrong because what I’ve done so far does look that way, however only the towpath side is faced in stone the opposite side will be grassed and have bushes and trees etc which I will take right upto (and most probably over) the edge to try and break up the neat edge

Thank you for posting the links to the photos, very useful

Sound plan with the greenery then, looking forward to seeing it evolve! 

• Friendly/supportive 1

You probably have access to hundreds of pictures, but this one shows the non towpath side rather well.

3811963_97304921.jpg.c2ebdbee61e3f26b7b74b606b47e89c1.jpg

Inland waterways

1131117554_Ellel-Grange-Bridge-on-the-Lancaster-Canal.-Photo-by-Peter-Thomas.jpg(1).jpg.04f742a4d8bc06ca9dc72e6e0cd6b71e.jpg

Peter Jones 

Someone in the squadron needs to work on his bus recognition charts, although the purple and white paint job wouldn't have helped.

barge-fire-lancaster-canal-720x406.jpg.73763b15af7fd990a38fc456355f7266.jpg

Blog Preston / Hans-Ulrich Rudel.

What is interesting here is the amount of growth between the towpath and canal edge. Fine for modern image, but I expect that it would have been kept scythed down and trampled by horses back in the thirties 

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, MrWolf said:

What is interesting here is the amount of growth between the towpath and canal edge. Fine for modern image, but I expect that it would have been kept scythed down and trampled by horses back in the thirties 

I've wondered that - on our local canal the bit between towpath and cut is very overgrown in places - the only parts that have a solid edge are the immediate approaches to locks & bridges where boats need to tie up. I don't know if that's original though, or post-restoration. Back then even if it wasn't scythed, the growth would probably be kept down by the regular passage of tow-ropes over it...

I've just found a good photo here of the Oxford canal in the 30's - low grass either side of a well-surfaced towpath, and fairly neat edges on both banks. This one is a bit later (1963) - trees right down to the waterline on the offside, but the towpath side is still neat.

edit - and another good one - 1940

Edited by Nick C
  • Like 7