Maybe Module - Pendle Meadows

Chimer

• RMweb Premium

As a sort of committment, here's a plan of what I might try to put together for May 19.  I had some more ambitious thoughts at first but then realised I should try something very basic first to prove the concept.  So it's slightly snakey double track, sunk into farmland rising a couple of inches on either side, with a minor road and a hump-back bridge crossing front to rear (or rear to front, no backscenes) at a bit of an angle.  And maybe a signal box.

post-6206-0-88112100-1531481276.jpg

I doubt anyone will be able to tell, but the era is BR late crest and the area ex-L&Y territory.

The next positive step will be to order a board from Tim Horn, as swerving carpentry to some extent will avoid a lot of swearing.

I'll be asking lots of questions, many of which will probably have been addressed :scratchhead:, but possibly never definitively answered :no: , in the gargantuan "initial ideas" thread, so please bear with me!

Cheers

Chris

P.S.  Those green blobs on the contour lines were legible contour heights in the original Xtrackcad - 0, 1 and 2 reading away from the tracks!

Edited by Chimer
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

This is tricky. How do you justify curves in that situation? Why would the railway company not just have built it straight?

I can see the aesthetic benefit in some gentle curves but that probably needs a baseboard in rhombus shape.

Edit: Forgotten my school geometry. Doh! I mean parallelogram not rhombus.

Edited by Joseph_Pestell

• RMweb Premium

This is tricky. How do you justify curves in that situation? Why would the railway company not just have built it straight?

I can see the aesthetic benefit in some gentle curves but that probably needs a baseboard in rhombus shape.

Edit: Forgotten my school geometry. Doh! I mean parallelogram not rhombus.

Damn, you spotted the flaw.

The only justification is the perceived aesthetic benefit …… I did think about it, and wondered for a while about the corner of a graveyard - sacred ground! - or a mine ventilation shaft, but the final thought (for now - ideas gratefully received) was "oh sod it"  Of course it's bringing the track back square to the board at the ends that prevents a bigger wiggle which would give scope for a more significant obstruction.

Sort of commitment?  It's already on the plan :)

Remember scenics are a secondary consideration, getting the boards wired and working (which shouldn't be difficult on 2 lengths of plain track) so it can fit in with everything else.

I can lend you a bus to put on the bridge if you don't have one :)

• RMweb Premium

I'm hoping I can get this to the "wired and working" stage soon enough to give me confidence to offer something else in addition.  But aiming to walk before running ……

I've got a bus, the no 4 Accrington to Bacup which got me home from school back in the day …… but the road may turn out to be a country lane, so have you got a tractor?

How about this? Sometimes it's useful to have a module not ending with the track in the middle. It could be indeed "Oh, sod it" if the cutting was started from both sides...

29674831458_7587c6c0d8_c.jpg

P.Meadows by Michael Carl, on Flickr

Once, shortly after the german reunion,  a former two track mainline was rebuilt, but only  with one track. It was considered to build the "right hand track". So every party built the "right hand track", from the east and from the west... 

Michael

Edited by teetrix

How about this? Sometimes it's useful to have a module not ending with the track in the middle. It could be indeed "Oh, sod it" if the cutting was started from both sides...

29674831458_7587c6c0d8_c.jpg

P.Meadows by Michael Carl, on Flickr

Once, shortly after the german reunion,  a former two track mainline was rebuilt, but only  with one track. It was considered to build the "right hand track". So every party built the "right hand track", from the east and from the west... 

Michael

The problem is that the standards call for track at centrelines (or either side of) so that modules may be used either way round without the need for offsets and other potential issues.  In a 12 foot module, for example, you can do whatever you like along the way as long as the track remains to the standard positions at the end of the module.

"because it looks good" is enough justification for putting the wiggle in if you want it, so long as the radius is within the spec.

Victorian land owners had some pretty daft things done on their account, so it's not that crazy really...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

So what you need is this, sometimes a wiggle is useful to fit modules into a room

Brian

You may be right.  But what I really don't need is to start by building a baseboard that is deliberately not square, when I will probably achieve it by accident anyway!  So thanks but no thanks  :no:

• Like 1