Cakebox Challenge Comp - call for entries

Andy McV

• RMweb Gold

I've updated the list - 35 entries so far and the October 12th closing date is fast approaching...

Now it's TOMORROW!!!

October 2018 seemed a comfortably long time away last October, but now its time to hand your homework in......

… But the dog ate it, Sir!

Honest, he did!!

• RMweb Gold

Joking aside, some of us are already waiting to find out what next year's "assignment" is - and the "handing in" date.

Some of us are also hoping to find out in time for "Warley" (or other show of choice), in the hope that we might be able to get any necessary "shopping" done then.

Of course, this does assume that next year's challenge is something that interests us … .

Huw.

Must say I’m really looking forward to the voting. There are some incredible entries, suspect deciding the winner will be difficult!

Evidently we will be able to express preferences for three entries, though how it will work I've no idea!  No doubt it will be explained thoroughly on Saturday...  However, in selecting who to vote for the following algorithm may be of use.

• One vote for the one you really like
  • One vote for the one you would like to win
  • One vote for the one you suspect will win

Or print the list of entries out and stab it thrice with a pin.

Or get as many pieces of paper as there are entries (41 as of NOW), number them, put them in a sandwich box with the lid on, give it a good shake, then remove the lid and select three pieces of paper with your eyes closed.  and vote for those in order of their picking.

Whatever you do, exercise your franchise thoroughly, but remember to take several bags with you....  :jester:

Or get as many pieces of paper as there are entries (41 as of NOW), number them, put them in a sandwich box with the lid on, give it a good shake, then remove the lid and select three pieces of paper with your eyes closed.  and vote for those in order of their picking.

Whatever you do, exercise your franchise thoroughly, but remember to take several bags with you....  :jester:

Well, that cuts me out, I never win raffles.

Hope the rules are easy to understand and put into practice, I have noticed that the challenge rules were simple but many people were trying to find loopholes in them or needed them explained again and again.

This was a great challenge for me as I didn't have to post the finished item in or take it to a show. Hope the next one is on the same lines, photo and description, something on the lines of Matchbox or Suitcase!!

If I may just slightly edit the punctuation:

...in the hope that we might be able to get any "necessary" shopping done then.

:jester:

Evidently we will be able to express preferences for three entries, though how it will work I've no idea!  No doubt it will be explained thoroughly on Saturday...  However, in selecting who to vote for the following algorithm may be of use.

• One vote for the one you really like
  • One vote for the one you would like to win
  • One vote for the one you suspect will win

I would go for the one that you like the most (i.e. possibly dependent on the scene and prototype), the one you think should win (based on standard of modelling etc) and then one other (most original idea?). I'm not sure in which order though. I wonder if people's choice of prototype will have much of an effect on the results - i.e. a negative one for entries based on less popular/well-known prototypes. But anyway, good luck everyone!

Edited by 009 micro modeller
  • Like 1

• Administrators

OK, I've had a quick chat with Andy Y this morning. Since there are few people who haven't entered who we were expecting (Yes, we did mention the recalcitrant Stubby47), we're going to sit on the voting until Monday. I've got a few entrant pages to set up, something to do while everyone is arguing about the Ch5 TV show this evening no doubt, and I'm sure there will be a few stragglers for me to look at on Monday.

After that, he will set up the voting form based on the final list. The last job I do will be to number each entry and then Andy will get things going. All being well, voting starts late on Monday.

• RMweb Gold

I can't even spell recalcitrant !

Edit:  Just looked up what it means : having an obstinately uncooperative attitude towards authority or discipline.

Hmm, I resemble that remark.

Edited by Stubby47

• Administrators

Really not sure how to vote as they are all so good! Should we also try to get as many people involved in the voting as possible so it’s not just other competitors voting?

Yes please. Tell everyone every way you can. Anyone who has an entry is welcome to campaign for votes.

The quality of these entries demands that we get "normal" people to see the things we do. If we do that via Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or whatever it is da kidz use this week, go for it!

It's been a pleasure making my cakebox and hearing the feedback of others along the way. Having seen the other entries I do believe picking a winner will be difficult as they're all incredible!

Maybe we should get Dimbleby to present the results coverage....

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes please. Tell everyone every way you can. Anyone who has an entry is welcome to campaign for votes.

The quality of these entries demands that we get "normal" people to see the things we do. If we do that via Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or whatever it is da kidz use this week, go for it!

Maybe a banner advert / promotional message could be added to the top of the forum page/s ?

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

This is the first time I have really looked at The Cakebox Challenge as I'm not a modeller of that ilk but - when Phil first announced it - I thought then it would attract some thinking outside the box (so to speak).

I wasn't let down! Crikey - they all deserve some sort of award just for taking part. Some have clearly been labours of love.

It felt almost cruel to pick just three - and in a specific order - but that's the way judging works, and my votes are cast.

Thanks to all who took part.

Brian

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

This is the first time I have really looked at The Cakebox Challenge as I'm not a modeller of that ilk but - when Phil first announced it - I thought then it would attract some thinking outside the box (so to speak).

I wasn't let down! Crikey - they all deserve some sort of award just for taking part. Some have clearly been labours of love.

It felt almost cruel to pick just three - and in a specific order - but that's the way judging works, and my votes are cast.

Thanks to all who took part.

Brian

You just can't resist a Poll, can you... :)