LNWR Society Modelling competition - framework and dates

Well there might be some hope John. Im only 16 and I'm working on my entry. I find all these less modelled railways fascinating and any excuse to model one must be taken!

Good for you Luke! What we need is more people looking for something interesting to model, and the LNWR has plenty of that. Let us not turn this topic into an analysis of the history of the Society and concentrate on modelling.

• RMweb Gold

Having found the index on NMRA website - I did some searching.

LNWR - Articles needed as modelling aids

Railway Modeller (UK)  September 1987  38  443 7mm scale LMS (ex LNWR) engine shed  Ken Ball  Brian Monaghan  377  7mm, LMS, RWMOD, England, STRUCTURE

Railway Modeller (UK)  September 2003  54  635 LNWR steam shed  Roger Stapleton  Steve Flint  524  Locos, LNWR, England, 4mm, RWMOD

Railway Modeller (UK)  September 1974  25  287 LNWR signal box  Dave Russell  Brian Monaghan  264  RWMOD, LNWR, DRAWING, England, STRUCTURE

Model Railway Constructor (UK)

September 1976  43  509 A LNWR coaling stage  Jack K Nelson    338  4mm, LNWR, MRCON, STR, model photo, modeling article, England, scale drawing, standard gauge

So - I should have most of these but will take a bit of finding!

Are any of these articles included in those that LNWRS have permission to copy and use?

Thanks

The Society’s membership is very different to that of nearly 50 years ago. Our discovery of the LNWR now being through the Journal, research, modelling activities, etc rather than a personal knowledge of LNWR locomotives or rolling stock, albeit on LMS and BR metals. As the Society has changed so has the Trustees, albeit a little slower than the main body of the membership.

The Society is much more inclusive now. It’s recognised by most members the LNWR didn’t disappear overnight on 31st December 1922, a view projected by the rules of this competition which allow entries to be from any period or subject provided there is a clear LNWR link.

With over two thirds of our membership having joined since January 2000 our membership is also much more savvy with social media etc than is often painted.

Just to clarify a point regarding the vetting of the Society’s Facebook Page. Our only rules are: the subject matter must have a clear LNWR link and people posting on the page are expected to be courteous to each other.

The Society has, in the last year, become very progressive. A recent colourised photograph competition has created a wealth of coloured images to illustrate our publications; a Facebook page has been launched and in less than 12 months has over 1,000 followers; a model railway supplement is planned for December, which if received positively by members, will become a regular feature; this model railway competition; the launch of an online archive; and finally, to support the latter, our acquisition of two state of the art scanners of a standard equal to that found at the British Museum.

Mike M

Edited by mikemusson
  • Like 4

They do indeed still have a forum but in a way it sums up the 'elderley' society inasmuch the the membership is say 600+ only 181 are registered on it. Topics are infrequent and if you reply to one the reply disappears to be 'vetted' before it appears on the site about 24hrs later......hardly ideal

John

John,

I consider part of the issue with the LNWRS forum is that it is "pre-moderated", i.e. posts need approval before publication. That makes it much slower and more cumbersome. than most forums and therefore possibly a deterrent to using it.

Jol

The Caledonian Railway Association's forum is exemplary - not least because it is open to anyone to read it.

The LNWRS forum is open to read, but like the CRA forum, you have to be a member to contribute.

And in reply to Wessy's post #26, I am currently building a LRM Renown in P4 and have just started on designing a LNWR 45ft clerestory roof Family Saloon for John at LRM. I'd be grateful for some slightly cooler weather so I can get on a bit faster!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The LNWRS forum is open to read, but like the CRA forum, you have to be a member to contribute.

So it is - thanks, that's a discovery! Unlike the CRASSOC forum, it appears one has to be a member of the forum to see the photos.

I've enjoyed browsing the "Mystery Photographs" section of the LNWRS website for some time now.

Edited by Compound2632

• RMweb Gold

Just to clarify a point regarding the vetting of the Society’s Facebook Page. Our only rules are: the subject matter must have a clear LNWR link and people posting on the page are expected to be courteous to each other.

Mike M

But nice to see an NER 1463 class loco on there...

• RMweb Premium

But nice to see an NER 1463 class loco on there...

Wilson Worsdell had moved to Gateshead to get out from under his older brother's shadow at Stratford (that didn't quite work out) and is supposed to have been the lead draughtsman on the 'Tennants' (or so I have read). Both brothers had trained at Crewe, so that's the LNWR link!

Wordswell forever: Just shows how inclusive we are! You forgot to mention the LBSR tank engine and L&NWR coaching stock in Cornwall too. :) 

It was a nice shot of NER 2-4-0 No 1464 heading south from Penrith station's CK&P platforms with a train made up of NER stock for the Eden Valley line. See https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1887979597926042&set=gm.205805070107422&type=3&theater&ifg=1 

Modelling Help

The Society has been adding to its online archive by creating eBooks from existing material. This link takes you to an eBook created from the PDFs listing the Society's Drawings previously mentioned by Jol: http://fliphtml5.com/neyn/menw Its fully searchable via the box on the top right and you can print a copy if you so wish. Use the Spy Glass with + sign to zoom in or out.

Mike M

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I like a challenge!

Ok I don't, but i did enjoy the 2012 RMWeb Innovation Challenge tremendously and it pushed me to actually produce something useful! - My very useful and enjoyable "Smart Driver Board".

So with the deadline firmly in mind, (forcing me to actually work on the project), I have desided to enter the LNWR Society Modelling Challenge with a submission of an LNWR Type4 size J all wooden cabin (8ft cabin floor above rail height) working Signal Box - not mechanically but electronically.

I have been researching it for about a year or so now but have not actually started on the model (gluing, building - let alone - painting!) but I have completed the control system design and electronics design, build and test.

I want the box to actually run my 10' by 1' work in progress layout called "Tenbione".

post-12815-0-99235800-1532639651_thumb.png

post-12815-0-35133700-1532639683_thumb.png

post-12815-0-83884100-1532639698_thumb.png

(Note - These drawings have a lot of construction lines on them, for now, but will be removed soon.)

I will start a new thread with all this in plus more.

Kev.

• Like 2

I can't find out how to register for the competition. Can someone point me in the right direction please?

It's being run in conjunction with RMwebb :jester:

BUT, your right, there appears to be nowhere a CLEAR process for registering your interest in the Competition is available, and thus receive your '‘.......colourised’ LNWR screen saver', as mentioned in post #1 of this topic.

I've looked through all these posts to check (easily), and on the Society's Webb pages too.

It might be there, somewhere, but clarity is important - like an obvious link.

Perhaps it's the old school Society Members, keeping the Modellers at bay......  :nono: 

I'm sure Mike will be along soon (all E. & O. E.) and show us the way.

Edited by Penlan

• RMweb Gold

Hello,

I can't find out how to register for the competition. Can someone point me in the right direction please?

Nig H

Andy Y said he was checking "on the official submission process".

See post 6 of this thread.

Kev.

Andy Y said he was checking "on the official submission process".  See post 6 of this thread.

Ah, somehow I missed that..... on 23 July.

I've sent Mike a message.

Edited by Penlan

I have sent Kev a message saying we have been waiting for our Webbmaster to set up an email address. I think he's got lost on holiday. As a temporary measure, please register your interest to projects@lnwrs.org.uk

BTW - because of our tardiness we will send you a few screensavers! All are LNWR locomotives but what period would you like, LNWR or LMS.

Best of luck

Mike

Edited by mikemusson

John,

I consider part of the issue with the LNWRS forum is that it is "pre-moderated", i.e. posts need approval before publication. That makes it much slower and more cumbersome. than most forums and therefore possibly a deterrent to using it.

Jol

Jol,

You are correct in this inasmuch as people are not taking to it......looking at it a fair few threads have had no activity for months.

John

• RMweb Premium

Andy Y said he was checking "on the official submission process".

See post 6 of this thread.

Kev.

Yes, I saw that. I wondered if details of the process were now available.

Nig H

The purpose of the competition is to promote interest in the accurate representation of the Company and its predecessors using available records.

I wonder if this somewhat limits the competiton. Far better to use it to get more general interest in the LNWR, and therefore maybe increase membership even more. . There is a danger many would be put off because they don't think they are good enogh modellers.

Although I don'y model LNWR specifically, one of the modellers that has inspired me is Jack Nelson. Not only was he one of the main promoters of modelling the LNWR, and luckily his 3D dioramas still can be seen, but also he was promoting(initially) HO scale(3.5mm/ft) not the various 4mm/ft cales and gauges. Obviously easier withLNWR engines as most were inside cylinder. It really is time that the Jack Nelson book on modelling the LNWR was reprinted, or at least a updated version.

For anyone interested, I have some LNWR models within my 3D printed range. The first standard gauge design I did was the Oerlikon EMU stock, but I have also done the earlier Siemens version(luckily despite HMRS not being able to find one coach drawing, LNWR standardisation meant I could work it out from the other 2 drawings), and also the steam railmotor. All offered in various scales, body only, so there is something for the modelller to build.

I wouldhave liked to do moreLNWR designs, but in the past it has been difficult to get some drawings.There isone version of the steam railmotor for which I have have not found a drawing. One of my aims has been to increase the amount of , mainly pregrouping, rolling stock for modellers. It is a big project, but I don't want to limit it to just one railway, or period.

Have not seen it mentioned, but forward thinking, one area that should be incuded is virtual modelling, as this is a area which has an even bigger share of younger enthusiasts, some of whom also do real modellng, or might consider it in the future. It is keeping them interested in the hobby, rather than losing them completely.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The purpose of the competition is to promote interest in the accurate representation of the Company and its predecessors using available records.

Rue d', I'd be surprised if there was any objection to modelling based on interpolation from available records where records are unavailable.

This has piqued my interest - don't know why as I'm died-in-the-wool Midland (as Compound2632 knows...!), plus I've got more than enough on my plate. But a few wagons won't hurt will it....?!