Hornby dublo

ddoherty958

Even if the mortgage rate was 0.0000% so long as inflation exists then the money paid back is worth less than the money borrowed. You are comparing two different things.

True, but what matters is is the interest rate compared to the inflation rate. As long as the interest rate is less than inflation you are on the winning side*; when it's higher, the bank is. Back in the day, we had building societies which financed the low interest rates with investments. IIRC even the interest on credit cards was only around 20% A.P.R. much the same as today, as long as you ignore the high risk cards. It's true the card provider was not liable for faulty goods etc. like today.

* I'm also ignoring the immense rise in property value. It used to more or less be in line with inflation, but now is out of hand. (As a property owner, I'm not complaining. but...).

I won't go into the reasons, but, as usual, it is to do with government interference with the market.

• RMweb Gold

As long as the interest rate is less than inflation you are on the winning side*; when it's higher, the bank is.

I agree with that statement but that is not the same as saying the interest rates were lower.

Your argument is a bit like comparing prices with wages. Relevant when checking what you can afford.

To take your argument onto a motorway. Yesterday the car in front of me is doing 60mph and I can pass it because I am doing 70mph.

Today the other car is doing 40mph but my own car can't get over 30mph (reason irrelevant)

According to your argument the other car was not really going faster yesterday. That's because you base your statement on the speed of my car which is irrelevant when stating the speed of the other cars. Relative speeds only come into if you want to see if I can overtake.

• RMweb Premium

I agree with that statement but that is not the same as saying the interest rates were lower.

Your argument is a bit like comparing prices with wages. Relevant when checking what you can afford.

To take your argument onto a motorway. Yesterday the car in front of me is doing 60mph and I can pass it because I am doing 70mph.

Today the other car is doing 40mph but my own car can't get over 30mph (reason irrelevant)

According to your argument the other car was not really going faster yesterday. That's because you base your statement on the speed of my car which is irrelevant when stating the speed of the other cars. Relative speeds only come into if you want to see if I can overtake.

You have lost me there!

;)

My Trix Britannia was going marginally slower today, but my Dublo 0-6-2T was going at the same speed as it was yesterday.  I'm not sure what conclusion I can draw from this though....

Dirty track or pickups perhaps!.

Ray.

• Like 1

“I won't go into the reasons, but, as usual, it is to do with government interference with the market.”

Not sure about that. I tend to see housing as a market with very constrained supply. In any such market, the cost of purchase will always bob along at the point where things are almost unaffordable, but not quite.

Houses, especially for first time buyers have always been ‘nearly unaffordable’, and when interest rates are very low, the ‘ticket price’ ris s to maintain the almost-unaffordability. If interest rates rise, prices will fall, a bit, to accommodate. If wages rise, so will either or both interest rates and prices.

The nasty thing that has happened since 2008 is that interest rates have dropped, prices gone up, and wages risen glacially slowly, so that inflation hasn’t eroded debt, but the ‘capital stock’ of existing property owners has risen. The “rich” got “richer”, in theory at least, as the direct result of keeping the banks afloat against bad-debt. The major profiteers are probably private landlords, but tax policy is catching-up with them fast, which ought to cause prices to stabilise, if not fall.

Long run, I suspect that what we are seeing is the unravelling of the illusion created in the 1980s that ‘everyone’ can afford to buy a house - historically they couldn’t, and without a massive increase in supply in the southern half of the country, they won’t in future.

As to Hornby Dublo ....... life was simpler then: our parents had all these worries!

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<As to Hornby Dublo ....... life was simpler then: our parents had all these worries!>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

When I had my Dublo, the war was just on the horizon; really something to worry about!

Brian.

Pray god we never have that to worry about ever again.

Things seem to be going that way!  :O :o :nono:

Government interference with the housing market - for example, selling off council properties below market value, without building replacements and buy to let mortgages.... (caused by deregulation of the banking industry, which caused the 2008 slump (and apparently the 1929 one, but that was before my time!), but I fear we are straying too far into politics here.

That is the point. What matters is the relative speed/rate of inflation against interest rate. The question is: am I better off with high inflation and lower interest rates or low inflation and high interest rates? (Assuming that income increases in line with inflation of course. At present for most people it's not doing so!)

To take your example. Yesterday my relative speed was +10 mph and I could pass; today it's -10mph and I fall behind. It's the same will interest rates and inflation.

Dublo is really more interesting. I've just acquired yet another N2 chassis. My excuse* is that this one is a 3217 chassis - Nickel plated non-insulated driving wheels with the chassis block modified for the two rail pickup. It's not complete (no electrics), but that will give me something to do hunting down the missing parts....

* An excuse is not really needed!  :)

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1

I fitted a Dublo three rail pickup to my Wrenn "City of Glasgow" last night.  It runs quite well although it should perform better once I've broken the insulation on the insulated driving wheels - I will be doing this by driving a piece of metal through the insulating bush.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<As to Hornby Dublo ....... life was simpler then: our parents had all these worries!>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

When I had my Dublo, the war was just on the horizon; really something to worry about!

Brian.

Which war? WW2, Korean, Suez, or Vietnam? I think that covers most of them beteeen 1938 and 1964.

I fitted a Dublo three rail pickup to my Wrenn "City of Glasgow" last night.  It runs quite well although it should perform better once I've broken the insulation on the insulated driving wheels - I will be doing this by driving a piece of metal through the insulating bush.

That`s complicated,this is how i do it.Easily restored to original 2 rail if needed,the 3 rail collector insulated plate sits on top.

post-4249-0-50801000-1534922599.jpg

Ray.

Edited by sagaguy
  • Like 1

I fitted a Dublo three rail pickup to my Wrenn "City of Glasgow" last night. It runs quite well although it should perform better once I've broken the insulation on the insulated driving wheels - I will be doing this by driving a piece of metal through the insulating bush.

Why should breaking the insulation make it run better if the pickups are clean and correctly tensioned and the wheel treads clean? I can't recall amyone saying that 3 rail HD locos were intrinsically better runners than their 2 rail versions, apart from the HD Class 20 that is. Some do say that the sliding action of the centre pickup, or skate if you're using Maerklin parts, makes it self cleaning.

Because the point switch rails are insulated from the the rest of the rails & cause the loco to stall on points.2 rail locos are fitted with plastic bogie wheels back & front,you can overcome this by fitting a 3 rail front bogie or using a 3 rail tender returning the current through the drawbar.

Ray.

Because the point switch rails are insulated from the the rest of the rails & cause the loco to stall on points.2 rail locos are fitted with plastic bogie wheels back & front,you can overcome this by fitting a 3 rail front bogie or using a 3 rail tender returning the current through the drawbar.

Ray.

So what do you do with an 0-4-0 or 0-6-0? You can't fit bogies or pony trucks to them to create extra points of contact with the rail?

I add a thin strip of phosphor bronze bolted to the chassis  so as to rub on the back of one of the driving wheels. This can then easily be removed restoring the model to original condition. I find only one is necessary. It also avoids the risk of forcing the wheel off true. Replacement bushes are still available, but the postage to Australia is likely to be exorbitant.

The other alternative is to modify the track so that the closure rails are live whrn the blades are switched, but this involves a load of hassle. It should be enough to slide the closure rail slightly to just contact the blade but the reliability of this method is likely to be dubious. Trix use the blade as a section of conductor rail, but their point throw is a bit more than Dublo....

So what do you do with an 0-4-0 or 0-6-0? You can't fit bogies or pony trucks to them to create extra points of contact with the rail?

Same thing really,you can just about see one of the p/ups behind the front lower driving wheel.It`s then covered with a strip of black insulating tape to prevent any shorts.

post-4249-0-17029900-1534929665_thumb.jpg

And a video of said loco,diamond crossings are a doddle to this engine,normally the bane of HD 3 rail.

Ray.

• Like 1

Being a dyed-in-the-wool 2 rail man, I applaud your approach, gentlemen, of making the 2 to 3 rail conversion easily reversible. As I've said before, that's what HD should have done.

As it happens I bought a mid-1950s Triang R.152 Diesel Shunter a while ago, and that had been reversibly converted to 3 rail. It was soon changed back. I just need to change the couplings back to Triang ones, not quite so easy as it would have had the older non-tension-lok ones.

Same thing really,you can just about see one of the p/ups behind the front lower driving wheel.It`s then covered with a strip of black insulating tape to prevent any shorts.

attachicon.gif20180310_091610.jpg

Ray.

That 3 rail 0-6-0 T was what H/D should have made instead of the 200 MPH Diesel shunter.

Biggest problem I had with 3 rail was lousy traction because the skate robbed adhesion weight. My Duchess hauled 3 tinplate coaches or two and the mail coach.

Now as 2 rail with 26mm Romfords which involved shaving tepole pieces for clearance and a modified tender coupling it pulls 24 Hornby/ Bachman coaches on the "Level" and 8 Tinplate or 12 Hornby / Bachmann up a 1 in 36.

That 3 rail 0-6-0 T was what H/D should have made instead of the 200 MPH Diesel shunter.

Biggest problem I had with 3 rail was lousy traction because the skate robbed adhesion weight. My Duchess hauled 3 tinplate coaches or two and the mail coach.

Now as 2 rail with 26mm Romfords which involved shaving tepole pieces for clearance and a modified tender coupling it pulls 24 Hornby/ Bachman coaches on the "Level" and 8 Tinplate or 12 Hornby / Bachmann up a 1 in 36.

You cannot really compare pulling Hornby Dublo 3-rail coaches with their metal build and bogie design against Bachmann and Hornbys plastic with pin point axles etc. I have an original 3-rail Dorchester pulling 18 Exley coaches that have real glass in them bit admit the bogies have been replaced. I have a 3-railed R1 that is seen on YouTube pulling 6 Exleys. This is the weakest loco due to the plastic body used but the chassis's when 3-railed and fitted with whitemetal bodies are fine. My 3-rail Duchess's pull far better than the 2-rail ones did. The plated wheels on nickel track were an issue.

Garry

• Like 2