NYMR Whitby

Michael Delamar

I hadnt noticed that the NYMR run regular services to Whitby.

Im really pleased to see this, but also a little puzzled.

do the locos have to be mainline certified? what speed limit is the line?

how does the ticketing work? ie how does the money get shared between northern or nymr if you jump onto either train?

whats the journey like? etc etc, would love to hear some discussion on this as were thinking on heading up there this summer

cheers

Mike

Locos certainly have to be main line certified. There's a special set of stock used - I assume there's additional standards required there too. I haven't actually ridden it but I believe it goes Pickering - Whitby - Glaisdale - Whitby - Pickering if you stay on there all day, dependign on what timetable's in force, of course.

Timetable

how does the ticketing work? ie how does the money get shared between northern or nymr if you jump onto either train?

whats the journey like? etc etc, would love to hear some discussion on this as were thinking on heading up there this summer

cheers

Mike

They've been regularly running to Whitby for 4 or 5 years now...

Only specified mainline certified Locos are permitted. I don't have a full list but it does include:

SR S15 825

Std 4 Mogul 76079

Std 4 4-6-0 75029

One of the Black 5s currently in service (plus 5428 'Eric Treacy' when it returns to service - was due out for Easter but don't think it made it)

Sir Nigel Gresley is also theoretically permitted but not used in regular service to Whitby...

Sometimes Locos run through from Pickering to Whitby, at others, they swap at Grosmont

There are 3 sets of coaches permitted to run to Whitby (2 @ 7 coaches 1 @ 6 coaches last season). All mk 1s, centre door sealed and the other doors fitted with additional manual bolts.

They are governed by the same speed limits as any other passenger train on the line which is 60 mph most of the way. Had a couple of really good runs in the last couple of years with the Std 4 (clocked at over 50mph) and the S15 - such a change to have the loco working hard, and fine views including the Larpool Viaduct which used to carry the Scarborough-Whitby line over the valley.

Attached pic is approaching Whitby: there is a foot path crossing about 200 yds from the station which is a good spot for photos of arriving or departing trains (locos usually run facing Whitby)

Not sure of the arrangement for revenue sharing, but NYMR tickets are accepted on Northern Rail services between Whitby and Grosmont.

Paul

post-491-127132369648_thumb.jpg

Hi,

I haven't been on one of the NYMR Trains to Whitby, having to climb aboard a packed 156 for the journey, but you can buy a ticket from Pickering (or any other station on the NYMR) to Whitby and use it on both NYMR trains and Northern Rail.

I also believe that their Class 25 is also mainline certificated.

Simon

I also believe that their Class 25 is also mainline certificated.

Yes it is but it isn't normally used on service - generally on standby at Grosmont as the 'thunderbird' rescue loco...

When the NYMR have special events on like the Spring or Autumn Gala's (the spring gala is over 3 weekends at the end of this month and beginning of May; on a Sunday, when there is no DMU service, they also run Grosmont up to Battersby and back so at times you can get 3 trains in Grosmont station. Last October there were 9-10 locos in steam!

Well worth a visit!

regards Ernie

Hi,

The schools class Repton is also passed for use on the Esk Valley.

Gresley went into Whitby once, a while ago, very very slowly and won't be doing it again, as I understand it the curves into Whitby are too tight.

That hasn't stopped them running it to Battersby when there's a gala on though, looks very good with carmine & cream mk1s cool.gif

If there is a gala on and visiting locos are mainline passed then they also get a run, there's been all sorts up the line, Tornado, 61264, and various diesels including a 40 spring to mind.

Mike

• RMweb Premium

cheers

Mike

I stayed in a holiday cottage close to Grosmont a couple of years ago; the owner had contacts within the railway and he mentioned that the NYMR paid a fixed amount to use the line into Whitby. Can't remember how much he said but I do recall it was a scary big amount (apparently some of the NYMR staff were convinced it would bankrupt the railway - that's how scary it was. Got a feeling the number had five zeros, or heading that way...).

As we were staying close to Grosmont we went from there to Whitby for the day. The ticket office were a bit surprised I didn't want a "full line" ticket; I felt there was little point since you can't really do Whitby justice and fit Pickering & Goathland in too. It was only when walking away from the booking office that I realised the difference in price was pretty slim - I'd wished I'd gone for the full line ticket after all, if only for the train ride to Pickering & back. Won't make that mistake again... :(

Brian

its the best common sense arrangement Ive heard of. I really do think its great.

I take it is has come about because of privatisation. wouldnt have had this back with BR?

just a shame its too late for peak rail to share the line out of Buxton. I wonder if this is how they will work the Matlock station platform arrangement.

the East lancs to Rochdale..

or the West somerset to get into taunton (probably too busy a mainline) but the fact its allowed to happen without every loco having tpws etc

I hope its a great success.

Mike

The 25 was at Whitby on Tuesday, as my gallery will testify. ;)

In my experience it's usually been the maroon set that does the Whitby runs, it offers a more civilized catering service too, courtesy of the RMB. One of the crimson/cream sets took me along the line on Wednesday though. This set had a few First Class compartments so it might be that they try and keep the sets so equipped on the Whitby services, I should imagine a First Class compartment from Pickering through to Whitby for a £3 suppliment per person probably proves quite popular.

Ive got my dad interested in this,

one of his questions was how long is the line from Whitby to Grosmont?

Grosmont Jcn to Whitby = 6m 18ch and Grosmont Jcn to Grosmont LC = 0m 27ch

Each of the coaches registered for use has a panel as follows

post-7279-127137722722_thumb.jpg

On the journey to Whitby trains stop after clearing Grosmont Jcn to wait for the fireman to walk from the GF to the loco. At Sleights ALL trains stop and contact the Signalman for authority to proceed to Whitby. On arrival in Whitby ALL passengers have to disembark and doors are locked externally before the set is propelled into the back siding (the road having been set by the Guard at the GF). The loco then uncouples and runs via the front siding to join the other end of the train before propelling the stock back into the platform with the Guard riding in the leading coach and in radio contact with the footplate crew. Returning to Grosmont the train stops at Ruswarp to obtain a proceed light on the LC. Unlike the outward journey there is no requirement to stop at Sleights ... merely a severe speed restriction on the foot crossing at the Whitby end of the platform.

Over the six day period 3rd-8th April I observed fourteen (of the eighteen) Whitby trains run as follows:

3/4/10

1710 76079 (top'n'tailed) D7628 - I believe this was due to late running (recover time by avoiding the need to shunt at Whitby)

4/4/10

1010 & 1710 76079

5/4/10

1010, 1310 & 1710 30926

6/4/10

1010, 1310 & 1640 30926

7/4/10

1010 & 1640 30926

1310 76079

8/4/10

1010 & 1640 30825

1310 30926 (not seen but fairly certain - 30825 worked through to Pickering on 1100 xWhitby)

75029 is currently dismantled and wouldn't appear to be a contender for Whitby runs in the near future.

Guest stuartp

I take it is has come about because of privatisation. wouldnt have had this back with BR?

I can't think of a preserved railway operating over BR metals but at Appleby in 1992 we could sell through tickets to Oxenhope on the K&WVR.

The big scary amount is likely to be Network Rail's track access charge. There is an arrangement with Northern concerning revenue sharing and station access but the details are confidential between Northern and NYMR. Suffice it to say that it's unlikely to bankrupt either party.

[Edited to clarify revenue-sharing arrangements]

• RMweb Premium

its the best common sense arrangement Ive heard of. I really do think its great.

just a shame its too late for peak rail to share the line out of Buxton. I wonder if this is how they will work the Matlock station platform arrangement.

the East lancs to Rochdale..

or the West somerset to get into taunton (probably too busy a mainline) but the fact its allowed to happen without every loco having tpws etc

I hope its a great success.

Mike

The only reason it has been allowed is the fact that under ordinary conditions the Battersby to Whitby section has something like 4 trains a day and thus the likelihood of any collisions or indeed any other incidents occurring is minimised. Based on this Network Rail have been able to satisfy the rail regulator, etc that they can relax the normally stringent rules as regards OTMR data recorders, etc normally required by all trains operating on the national network. As others have said however for the Whitby operation, all locos and coaches used still have to be registered with Network Rail and most of the same standards still apply. Hence the requirement for secondary door locking fitted to the MK1s used along with maintenance schedules and standards not that dissimilar to those required by rail tour operators. Also while the locos may be exempt from OTMR, they must still be fitted with basic things like speedometers (not a standard fitting on steam locos until British Railways days and still not mandatory for heritage lines) and I think AWS, though possably not TPWS.

The section from Battersby into Middlesbrough remains bared unless the loco and stock fully comply with the requirements regarding operation of heritage traction i.e. OTMR data recorder, etc. This is due to the busy nature of the main lines through Middlesbrough station and is why the NYMRs Whitby operation cannot be replicated with the West Somerset, Swanage, East Lancs or Peak rail as all 4 would involve running on busy high speed lines with intensive passenger operation. Running heritage locos in that sort environment without all the modern safety fitments is quite simply unacceptable in this day and age.

I went to the Diesel weekend last year and went behind a Deltic to Whitby and a 47 to Battersby.

It took me back about 20 years to the holiday trains at Scarborough and Bridlington.

Great stuff! Me and the current Mrs Penguin like to take the dog in the car to Pickering and then travel up to Whitby for a nice walk and fish and chips at the Abbey.

If time permits, there's always a chance of a little fishing at the Pickering Trout Lake too. A bit of a cheat, but a guaranteed bite! Last time, we went there in the morning, caught a few fish, which the proprietor gutted and froze for us to collect on our return journey in the evening.

Summer days......... Life is good!

Sean.

• RMweb Gold

I seem to remember the Dart Valley Railway (as it was then) running over BR metals into Totnes BR station. I don't know how long that arrangement lasted though.

It was only for a couple of seasons I think due to the cost, not enough money received at the booking office. When the GWR built that line I can never understand why they didn't create a bay for the Ashburton services to run into, such an oversight! Trying to make a connection must have been a nightmare at busy times.

Regards,

Nick

Engines that run on the Whitby services are:

S15,

Repton

And Eric tracey when restored

Other regular vistors to[have] include[d]

With 60019 and 60007 runing there on the Gala weekend soon.

The NYMR has a few gala weekends coming soon. Ive some pictures on the site, the link below shows Whitby running.

• 3 weeks later...

The trip from Grosmont to Whitby and return is well worthwhile in itself, apart from visiting the attractions of Whitby while you're there. There are no real gradients involved, at least compared with the NYMR itself, but the scenery is magnificent and the line curves its way back and forth across the River Esk many times. The trains don't hang about between the restrictions and stops mentioned above, so it's not a gentle meander.

It is, however, not an easy line to get photos on - there are not many road crossings and only a few footpaths that go anywhere near the line. There are a lot of private farm crossings and perhaps access for anglers along the river banks, but presumably, permission would be needed to access these. Although it doesn't detract from the ride, a lot of the line is bounded by trees (unusual!), making it difficult to get long distance shots as well, but it's worth a try!

There is a small collection on my site covering parts of the line, some of the pictures from years ago and some more recent. As usual, I have many more recent ones still to add... The collection starts here:

http://geoff-plumb.fotopic.net/p48960468.html

if anyone would like to take a look.

Cheers, Geoff

Archived