Wentworth Junction

• RMweb Premium

It's been a bit warmer in the shed this week so more progress with cork laying on the baseboards - this is the first layout of mine with cork underlay, all the others have had track glued direct to the boards. Experience with Carlisle has led to this change of opinion.

attachicon.gifWP_20181219_16_27_51_Pro.jpg

attachicon.gifWP_20181219_17_13_00_Pro.jpg

Not enough weights to do more than a few pieces at one time but my very heavy toolbox proved useful for this job.

Good to see the steel weights back in play.

• RMweb Premium

Definitely wrong era (at the moment anyway...)

More progress yesterday, with all the cork laid the trackplan needs to be transferred to the baseboards.

post-1643-0-20798200-1545563264_thumb.jpg

Ignoring the 65mm step for the moment, track drawing starts at the top of the hill inside Silkstone No.2 tunnel. The 39" radius on the inner track is a bit sharper than I would like but is a lot gentler than the sharpest curves on previous layouts.

post-1643-0-66181000-1545563479_thumb.jpg

The drawings I gave to Ken for the boards marked all the point motor positions but  didn't think to mention underbridges and with unerring accuracy he managed to put this baseboard support slap in the middle of Moorend Lane. It shouldn't be too difficult to move though, as far as I remember these intermediate supports are only screwd and not glued.

post-1643-0-22112200-1545563843_thumb.jpg

The next baseboard joint needs to have the tracks crossing exactly at right angles to allow for possible later (exhibition only) extension.

post-1643-0-27367900-1545563974_thumb.jpg

Templot printout carefully positioned and securely weighted down while all the plain tracks are drawn to join up with it. No need to draw all the junctions on the boards as the pointwork will be built in two big chunks.

post-1643-0-86852400-1545564205_thumb.jpg

At the other end, using carbon paper to transfer the rail positions. I had to split the whole drawing and move this end 40mm along to avoid a conflict between pointwork and baseboard joints but it won't make a lot of difference.

post-1643-0-96727600-1545564388_thumb.jpg

There aren't very many buildings on this layout, it's mostly green fields but the biggest one is Strafford sub station, outlined here. This was built on part of the site of Strafford colliery, the siding from the junction was the last remaining bit of track from it and as can be seen I've had to shorten it a bit. On my last visit to the location I noticed that some of the concrete pillars of this building were still visible on the ground which might be some help. I still only have couple of poor photos of the sub station and only from the railway side but at least that will be the visible one.

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Definitely wrong era (at the moment anyway...)

More progress yesterday, with all the cork laid the trackplan needs to be transferred to the baseboards.

attachicon.gifWP_20181222_10_47_17_Pro.jpg

Ignoring the 65mm step for the moment, track drawing starts at the top of the hill inside Silkstone No.2 tunnel. The 39" radius on the inner track is a bit sharper than I would like but is a lot gentler than the sharpest curves on previous layouts.

attachicon.gifWP_20181222_11_12_11_Pro.jpg

The drawings I gave to Ken for the boards marked all the point motor positions but  didn't think to mention underbridges and with unerring accuracy he managed to put this baseboard support slap in the middle of Moorend Lane. It shouldn't be too difficult to move though, as far as I remember these intermediate supports are only screwd and not glued.

attachicon.gifWP_20181222_11_54_23_Pro.jpg

The next baseboard joint needs to have the tracks crossing exactly at right angles to allow for possible later (exhibition only) extension.

attachicon.gifWP_20181222_12_05_37_Pro.jpg

Templot printout carefully positioned and securely weighted down while all the plain tracks are drawn to join up with it. No need to draw all the junctions on the boards as the pointwork will be built in two big chunks.

attachicon.gifWP_20181222_12_25_14_Pro.jpg

At the other end, using carbon paper to transfer the rail positions. I had to split the whole drawing and move this end 40mm along to avoid a conflict between pointwork and baseboard joints but it won't make a lot of difference.

attachicon.gifWP_20181222_13_39_08_Pro.jpg

There aren't very many buildings on this layout, it's mostly green fields but the biggest one is Strafford sub station, outlined here. This was built on part of the site of Strafford colliery, the siding from the junction was the last remaining bit of track from it and as can be seen I've had to shorten it a bit. On my last visit to the location I noticed that some of the concrete pillars of this building were still visible on the ground which might be some help. I still only have couple of poor photos of the sub station and only from the railway side but at least that will be the visible one.

Mike, are you reinforcing the cork at the baseboards joints? I'd recommend cutting back say an inch and putting 3 mm ply in its place.

• RMweb Premium

I don't think it will be a problem once it's all ballasted and soaked in pva glue (written with fingers crossed...).

Hmm... Hope you're right. At the very least I'd seal the exposed edge of the cork with Evo-Stik (other impact adhesives are available).

Mike

Re Strafford Sub Station.

If you fancy a bike ride and a walk through the woods, can I suggest you go and have a look at the old Wharncliffe Wood Sub Station? It's still there! It's a bit of a trek off the main path through the wood but the main building is there along with all the stands outside for the transformers and switchgear. I went a few years ago, took a load of photos and measured it up but I'm not sure where they are at the moment. I've got a feeling the sub station at Strafford was bigger than the one at Wharncliffe Wood but it would certainly be a good starting point. 

Also, maybe not relevant to your current layout but if you are interested the Track Section Cabin still exists further down the line at Beeley Wood. It's a little bit easier to get to and makes for a decent walk for a couple of hours.

John

Mike

Give me a day or two and I’ll get back to you. Took me a while to work it out.

As a start, take a look on the Old-Maps website and compare it to more recent OS Maps and Google Earth. I’m pretty certain it was shown on the old 1950ish maps. The current sea of green on Google earth does make finding it a challenge.

John.

I think this may be it

There’s definitely something hiding in undergrowth

I think I’ve stuck a pin in the building

Google Earth Link

Sorry link didn’t work for some reason so screen shot area

post-31055-0-74308900-1545699835_thumb.png

post-31055-0-73802200-1545699863_thumb.png

Brian

Edited by Bri.s

I think this may be it

There’s definitely something hiding in undergrowth

I think I’ve stuck a pin in the building

Google Earth Link

Sorry link didn’t work for some reason so screen shot area

attachicon.gif07DB97D9-4D54-444A-91E6-D154B3C8713F.png

attachicon.gifE6AE4DAD-44BE-408B-A630-39F952D8F46A.png

Brian

Your in the right ball park. Here is where I think it is. Pin dropped on switchgear.

post-15974-0-11314400-1545703284_thumb.png

Have a look at these taken from the 1:2500 scale OS Maps from the 1950s. Not all substations are the same!

post-15974-0-83105300-1545787682.png

post-15974-0-11285000-1545787827.png

post-15974-0-01477300-1545787845.png

As you can see, they are all different and the ones at Barnsley Junction and Strafford are larger than the one at Wharncliffe Wood. I seem to recall they were bigger because these substations had additional switchgear for the regenerative braking associated with the 1 in 40 Wentworth incline. Aldham Junction Sub station also had a larger footprint.

John