Derry Road Runabout

tmcg1959

I've just completed laying the rough track work to my new layout which focusses on the GNRi anywhere on the Derry Road. Previous efforts to build anything like Omagh have failed and I have decided to enjoy the movement of my GNRi locos and stock on these lines without any influence from any station. The track consists of mainline track work, sidings, turntable and fiddle yard. Points are kept to a minimum so I can enjoy long flowing trains. Hopefully I will return with some pictures later.

• Like 1

Some pictures of progress.......

IMG 2033

IMG 2034

IMG 2035

Two additional points to be laid in the morning to extend the headhunt in one of the sidings and allow the release of the goods loco and I'm ready to start fitting point motors.

Edited by tmcg1959

Nice set of IRM ballast wagons there, the track does need a bit of ballast down  :good: .

Looking forward the seeing the progress.

Mark

Mark,

I'll not be rushing into any ballasting. The point motors will hopefully be fitted this weekend though I'm not sure if I'll get them all wired just yet. I have to set up my operating position and think about where I want all cables to terminate. That aside, its always good practice to run locos over the layout for a few weeks before ballasting to test the running.

• 1 month later...

I've now completed all wiring and point motor wiring. These have all been brought back to a panel next my controller and switched using small toggles. Everything is running well and I hope to start ballasting in a couple of weeks. I want to make up a couple of road bridges over the lines before I do this and make some attempt to wire the track on the turntable which will be manually operated.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I did tests with lead weights to see where they are required, see the screen grab below.

post-12350-0-45927000-1538556263_thumb.jpg

I ended up putting weight between the driving wheels.

post-12350-0-54130200-1538556395.jpg

Another place for extra weight is underneath the cab roof, it's a bit trial and error.

I don't recall any issues with the UG Class.

Thanks Kieran.

I've just a small droplet of oil to each loco and both show a massive improvement. The UG runs flawlessly around now, the U runs so much better but shows minor signs of imbalance. On the whole, its a big improvement.

• Like 1

I'm seriously thinking about hinging the section at the opening of my shed door. Although all is wired and operational, a bit of thought and work could give me a hinged flap for easier access. Up until now I never considered doing it but having seen it in use on another layout, I thought it worth considering.

I'm seriously thinking about hinging the section at the opening of my shed door. Although all is wired and operational, a bit of thought and work could give me a hinged flap for easier access. Up until now I never considered doing it but having seen it in use on another layout, I thought it worth considering.

What about taking a line out through the new flap, along a shelf around the edge of your garden to a reversing loop? Then you have a good long run for your trains in the summer! That is a great advantage of building in a garden shed - maybe a mile of clear run.