Airbrushes

I would like to know if this product is good for using enamel, varnish and lacquers.

If it is, has any member used one, I don’t want to really buy one of the top of the range airbrushes, simply because I don’t do enough painting to warrant the expense of buying one.

Airbrush BD-133

It is from this company, http://www.airbrush-pro.co.uk/contents/en-uk/d27.html

Is this company a good one please. I sent them an email to enquire about it, but I haven’t received a reply yet.

• RMweb Premium

You have chosen a good hiding place for this question :) Recommenations are usually sought in the mainstream topics. Here is one:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/1775-airbrushes/?hl=airbrushes

At the price point of those in your link I think you would be better off with rattle cans. Even an Expo like I have is around £40 without compressor, although you might be encouraged by post 7 in my link.

Edited by dhjgreen

To answer your question, I solely use enamel paints and often through my airbrush, a cheapie "Master" branded one off Amazon, which Ive had no real issues with.  

Just thin the paint to the consistency of milk with thinner and spray light coats.

In looking for an airbrush, go for a double action with a large gravity fed paint cup.  

The airbrush you linked is far too small for any real modelling work.  

Look for something below £100, but not THAT cheap.  There are good ones out there that dont cost hundreds. 

• RMweb Gold

Hi

Don`t buy dirt cheap stuff.

post-17779-0-46154100-1534859819_thumb.jpg

You won`t go wrong with Badger products ...have been using  my series 200 single action for 35 years

but the above is an Anthem dual action 155 and is currently available on Amazon at £85 free postage

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Badger-Airbrush-155CS-BA155CS-Set/dp/B000VYWM5Q/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1534859653&sr=8-6&keywords=badger+155+anthem

Also on Amazon is a Badger Ba 1000 compressor AT £ 85 ( If a compressor has a water trap and pressure guage you don`t need one with a storage tank as THERE WILL BE NO PULSATING AIR FLOW.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Badger-BA1000-Airbrush-Compressor/dp/B0076ZLGFK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1534859985&sr=8-1&keywords=badger+ba1000

What can be achieved with a little practice........

post-17779-0-18240000-1534860565_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Johnny Rosspop

Edited by ROSSPOP
  • Like 2

I use the one from Amazon £12.69  Amazon choice .As I see I bought it in Sept 2016  and am still happily using for both 2K car paint on Brass Locos and also for fine weathering it seems to to do the job .if in doubt buy three  and chuck em if they fail .Use one just for clear  and another for white ?.My expensive ones dont work as well so I dont use them .I have sprayed everything from 1/72  SS panzer camo  in the 70's -  1/43 model kits by the hundred ,about 500 brass locos and a few Spitfires plus about  at least 25 000 promo plastic trucks using airbrushes and this as good as anything else  I have ever used.I have just orde :sungum: red another as you have reminded me .

Thank you for your replies, I do have a airbrush already, it was one that I bought with the compressor. You know the type you can buy has a kit. It was a good airbrush, but it won’t or is not recommended to use enamel or lacquers with it. But over time it has now given up on me, so I am looking for a new one, but I don’t want to pay loads of money for one, has I am said i don’t do that much airbrushing, but there is a need for it on somethings I do, and I do want to use enamels and lacquers more also.

I have been researching into Harder & Steenbeck and Badger’s, but they don’t have a lot of choice for side feed airbrushes. The reason I want a side feed is that’s what I am used too. I have tried a top gravity one, but I found that I couldn’t see where I was painting, just something I found. Maybe I was using the brush wrong, but it’s what your used to isn’t it.

What do you guys think.