A forum area specifically and only for recording ideas and progress of individual's challenge entries in accordance with the challenge.

Agreed Neil,  its why I wanted to complete the thread now that  the layout's on the home straight (at least scenically) whether the wretched thing actually works is another matter!😁

• Friendly/supportive 1

Finally, vegetation in the form of gorse and bramble has appeared...

125.jpg.6826dfe7b76e28e254784f5061872ba4.jpg

126.jpg.041d6b01936cddf156d525f7935233c8.jpg

Rather devoid of trains and customers! but then it is a light railway...

127.jpg.44827b5fa913aa463352b6ca529f545f.jpg

The yard is equally deserted.

128.jpg.a92e250a197d44d0f6027b80ec60e31b.jpg

The charm of the narrow gauge creeps in!

129.jpg.4d58751939ce34f68ff869bb70868098.jpg

Definitely won't be done for the show in two weeks time, but the top yard shows a statement of intent.

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 2

• 2 weeks later...

The Spring Show opens tomorrow at Pool Academy, Church Road, Pool TR15 3PZ

14 layouts, Demonstrations and Trade support including Kernow Model Rail Centre, Squires Tools, Scale Model Scenery and MERG.

1915892821_April2022posterCOLOURlo-res.jpg.37b161acaa4a884128e9913df4fb09a7.jpg

Exhibitors attending:

Layouts

Monksbury    O gauge    

Gweek North Quay   O-16.5 narrow gauge

Old Elms Road   OO fine scale   

Hounslow Sidings   OO fine scale

Hendra   OO fine scale      

Midhurst Road Junction   OO fine scale

Bishop Street Yard   OO

Sandsifters   P4

Padstow   2mm fine scale   

New Vaddon Parkway   N gauge

Lynberris   N gauge    

Little Earnest   N gauge  

Riverfield   N gauge     

Traders

Kernow Model Rail

Squires Tools 

Andy Lynch 

Scale Model Scenery  

Fred Elton Books

Alex Holden Laser cut buildings

Others

MERG   

Helston Railway Society   

Geoff Stevens   modelling demonstrations

Hot food and drinks by Victorian Mobile Catering

Plenty of free parking and easy level access to the halls.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Well the layout made it to our Club Spring Show, unfortunately I didn't being laid low with Covid.  Looking rather lost among the clutter of the school Drama displays. It stands on four screw-in chrome legs which in turn stand on a table to bring it up to around 4' 6" viewing height. A couple of chrome poles and a horizontal bar carry a couple of miniature theatre lamps and that's it!

Still some buildings to make for the upper level and two locos to finish painting and weathering.

130.jpg.c5b6ff606ae55a72f2c1a9ce89436b51.jpg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have just come across this thread having read about it in the latest Scalefour mag. I have been wanting to do something "light railway" for a while. did you have a filing jig for your points?

Marc

Hi Marc,

I used code 55 FB steel rail (from the Scalefour Society stores) for this project which is quite delicate but looks the part, especially if you space the sleepers slightly wider than standard, as was often light railway practice to save money! Mine were largely PCB since they were intended to be buried, but I did use a few ply and rivet ones here and there turned upside down and the tinned rail soldered to the rivet foot. I used a vee jig made from thick card for the vees but you need to allow a little rebate to accommodate the rail foot. The hardest job was filing the switch rails because I had been led to believe the stock rails were not notched to take the foot of the switch rail, which was shaped so as to ride onto the foot of the stock rail without a rebate. I have since found out this is not always true and  the foot of  the stockrail was often  notched to get the switch rails to home snugly. If I were doing it again I'd do it this way because  shaping the foot of the switchrails was a pain!

Will you be doing it in P4?

Steve

• Informative/Useful 2

Either P4 or S7 depending on how much space I can make n the workshop. I have a few plans running in my head at the moment. A Cornish light railway "Camborne-Trebogus" Just so I can have a GWR notice board informing passengers that mainline trains will not be stopping today, and may be some some well known names on the coal office. I 'm also looking at Carbean wharf in S7 but that evolves a lot of scratch building locos.  Also Arnside goods on the furness and Ben Nevis Distillery on the west highland line.   I also have some NSWGR 7mm stock which needs a home which also need FB rail. I'm just about to recycle "Scratchy Bottom" my 7mm FS layout which will give me 6 base boards to play with.   

Marc 

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi Steve,

What an amazing exhibit!  I've only just come across this, having seen your name on the Railwells programme.

Now must find time to read through it.

See you at Wells,

Cheers, Dave.T

• 4 weeks later...

I saw this in operation (if that's the right phrase!) at RailWells today.

As an aside, the GWR signal-box at North Crofty, which controlled access to the branch, was unusual that it was a block-post and had signals on the Up line only.

DSCN5749.JPG

DSCN5750.JPG

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 1

• 7 months later...