Hither Green TMD project Chunnel and Workbench

47606odin

Well, as I am between night shifts and not particularly active today, I finished off 2 of my wagons

post-14935-0-02032600-1537676114_thumb.jpeg

It is amazing how much difference a bit of chrome on the buffer stems makes, and a bit of old grease on the buffer faces

post-14935-0-97003600-1537676203_thumb.jpeg

I have kept the red faces on the buffers as I like them, and some had red faces, so mine did

• Like 10

Really interesting project - I've always been tempted with Hither Green, on of my childhood homes backed onto the line leading to Grove Park and so (maybe hallucinatory) I remember hearing the 33's rumbling past into the night. I've always thought the GP side of the depot was best - the fuel roads/runaround and three roads of the engine shed.

Okay people, need opinions on compromises.

Due to the length constaints of my room, I need to make a decision.

Having got the tape measure out, and printed some Peco track templates, I will need to compromise on something.

The part of the yard at Hither Green I am modelling is on a curve feeding the shed, and I was going to force this effect using curved points. I can fit this in, but it will mean shortening the shed. This will mean I will only get the length to store one large loco or 1 pair of 33’s per line, instead of 2 and 3 respectively. This obviously will diminish the shed but retain the flow of the track.

The alternative is, I will use straight points, which are shorter, this will save the idea of creating space within the shed, and it’s effect, but will lose the flow of the yard and make it more boxy

One thing to consider I suppose, is if we move to a house with a larger train room, I could always extend the shed easier than relaying the yard, and if I have a smaller shed, I’m less likely to try and fill it, saving many $$$$$

It might be worth sacrificing the length of the shed to allow the track to look better. I take it you would have space outside the shed to store locos too? I attach my sketch of the prototype I did for a possible layout years ago.

Hither Green Sketch Track Plan.pdf

Hope this is of interest.

Cheers.

thanks for that, i will bear that one in mind. i am considering the internal user TTA wagon that was there too, but JLTRT closing hasn't helped with that as they did a kit for one that i could have used, and yes, single piped by then

Do you mean the diesel tank wagon as below?

post-1373-0-41111400-1537719929_thumb.jpg

Picture is at Ashford PAD.

I modelled this wagon in 00.

Cheers.

Edited by Lyddrail

It might be worth sacrificing the length of the shed to allow the track to look better. I take it you would have space outside the shed to store locos too? I attach my sketch of the prototype I did for a possible layout years ago.

attachicon.gifHither Green Sketch Track Plan.pdf

Hope this is of interest.

Cheers.

Cheers Paul. I intend to recreate the fan into your lift out section, and possibly no4 shed road too

• RMweb Premium

Any suggestions for Vacuum brake parts to convert my Grampus to Vac fitted?

Parkside used to do their fittings in a pack. You might find someone still has stock.

M&M sell parts as spares although I found them a bit chunky to be honest.

Edited by Hal Nail

Today’s van in for repairs. In between night shifts again , so nothing too taxing

post-14935-0-77848600-1538542883_thumb.jpeg

The van has been having sticky buffers from new, and had tried to relieve them previously, but now it’s time to have another go

post-14935-0-54433400-1538542911_thumb.jpegpost-14935-0-29137500-1538542932_thumb.jpeg

So, it appears the circlip was sticking on the molding , so shave the molding and trim the tips of the circlip

post-14935-0-32950500-1538542950_thumb.jpegpost-14935-0-65469400-1538542965_thumb.jpeg

The buffers now bounce.

Happy with that

Well, as I’m sitting at my bench, 33050’s red buffer beam has been shouting at me

When I bought the loco it had splits in the buffer shanks, and as I was going to convert this loco when I bought it, I acquired some black replacements

post-14935-0-94636800-1538553467_thumb.jpeg

The splits happened as far as I can tell during shipping as the buffers were stuck in

post-14935-0-92824000-1538553487_thumb.jpeg

Looks much better in black

post-14935-0-49234800-1538554441_thumb.jpeg

And seeing as I have the bogie frames off to get at the back of the coupling hook, I might as well make a start on the details

post-14935-0-49643300-1538554609_thumb.jpeg

• RMweb Premium

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/124672-ians-7mm-workbench-Heljan-peak/

Some 33 bogie mods on here which may be of interest. Nothing new - loads have done it before. It doesn't really show in the pictures but i did a lot of filing round the edges to make the bogies look less obviously like a moulding. 

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/124672-ians-7mm-workbench-Heljan-peak/

Some 33 bogie mods on here which may be of interest. Nothing new - loads have done it before. It doesn't really show in the pictures but i did a lot of filing round the edges to make the bogies look less obviously like a moulding.

Thanks.

Yes I too will be moving the springs back, and adding a bit more detail. Got to work out the best way to carve off the moulded pipes to give a tidy finish

Edited by 47606odin

I've done the spring mod on one of my 7mm 26's and all my 4mm ones. The other 7mm one will also get the same treatment, it makes the world of difference. I take a very sharp knife (a new scaple of stanly knife blade) and just par the springs away with multiple cuts allong the bogie frame.

• Like 1

Cab Fronts done. Shows the different positions of each end. Sometimes I feel I have a bit too much OCD for this

post-14935-0-90343100-1538634731_thumb.jpegpost-14935-0-25427100-1538634749_thumb.jpeg

These numbers were a right pain in the posterior as the backing was quite thick and not a lot of room to cut round them, and when I tried sliding them off the backing, they just wanted to curl round the back instead of slide off.

I nearly ran out of numbers

Okay guys, my Heljan GUV wheels are too tight on the back to back measurement, by about .75mm meaning it is very close to dropping in the gauge on the switch rails of the long curved points.

What is the best way to control easing out the wheels on the axle?