An educational display on signalling (Was 'Westinghouse 'L' Type Miniature Lever Frames')

Here is post No.27, as referred to in the initial post (now edited suitably) of the thread!

The project, which previously may have required something like a Westinghouse frame but now does not, is to develop a piece of physical, interactive, apparatus which can explain the basic principles of signalling on a single track railway to a younger audience. For me, that required the explanation of signals and some explanation of tokens/staffs, etc...

The piece of single track railway in question, that is being used as a prototype model here, is the Mid Hants Railway, so the system to be explained is the Electric Key Token, but obviously simplified. Signals are a mixture of semaphore (Upper and Lower Quadrant) as well as colour light, but for the purposes of the display one of the two semaphore systems will be settled upon.

The display must be robust, and should not have parts that can be stolen. More on that later...

I have so far come up with an idea that would involve trains which the participant can only move when the correct sequence of points and signals is set, and the token must be on the locomotive before it can be moved. Some explanation of this can be seen here:

post-33498-0-36818400-1539000633_thumb.png

As can be seen, when the signal is at danger, the locomotive cannot be moved past it, when it is clear then it can be. Please note that the grey assembly underneath the loco sits in a slot between some representation of rails, a bit like a slot car in effect, with the 'prong' within the slot unable to be lifted out, thus preventing the loco being stolen. Also please note that the Bachmann 2MT and Hornby Signals are just for representative purposes and are not intended to show the final display. The red line indicates a stopper, attached to the arm, that prevents the part in the slot, and thus the loco, being moved past the signal.

I may or may not add more to this as I go along, and there will only be so much I can post about, but it should be interesting. I'm not looking for suggestions especially, but any offered may be considered.

Question - if you are representing EKT (or similar), and your system requires the token to be ON (or IN) the loco before it can pass the signal, then how will your operator get the token out of the instrument to put in/on the loco but not be able potentially to steal it???

Presumably then you don't intend to demonstrate 'blocking back' for shunting into the section? :-)

• Like 2

In answer to the two above queries...

The EKT representation will consist of a token on a chain, long enough for the whole exhibit. One would have to be pretty determined to steal it! I am still working on this, however!

As for software, I was given that option but elected to devise some physical apparatus because it's more interesting (for me to build), more tactile and potentially more in-keeping with a heritage railway environment.

I don't see why a five year old shouldn't be able to grasp blocking back! :P In all seriousness, I'll probably omit it - this is a very simplified explanation.

Edited by sem34090

It sounds therefore like you are only going to have one token on that chain, or will there be several on different chains?

With only one token, how will you demonstrate the key ('scuse pun :-) )advantage of EKT that you can send successive trains in the same direction, yet not be able to withdraw a 2nd token if one is out already?

• Like 2

Ah... True...

Okay, so perhaps my mentioning it being specifically the EKT system is already too much - the idea is to demonstrate that only trains with a token can enter the single line section - the child can only move the loco when that loco has the token, and no other locos can have the token. A bit more like the sort of operation where there was a single staff, really, but easier for a child to grasp I feel! Multiple tokens could be too confusing and would allow potential for collisions in this display, possibly.

But your point is completely correct! Here is where the problem has arisen for me - what to include, what to exclude and what to include but simplify!

So this is the current thinking - Token lives in signal box. Train is physically unable to be moved without token. Token is removed from signal box (perhaps it can only be removed when the road is set into the next section? Or not.) and placed in loco. Loco can now be moved but cannot be moved past any signals set against it. Signals are interlocked with points, and perhaps with token instrument?

post-33498-0-87282700-1539082531.png

post-33498-0-26600100-1539082535.png

And there, for everyone, is the worst representation of an electric key token you have ever seen! I hope it's obvious which bit of the image it is though...

• 6 months later...

Hello sem34090,

I am currently developing a Lever frame loosely based on the 'k' or 'b' type Westinghouse.

This will have a mechanical locking mechanism, I am about 75% through the project for our miniature railway at www.wdsme.co.uk in Dorset.

I have made the levers closer together to get more levers in the smaller space, I will attach a photo.

Nigel

20190419_173917.jpg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 21/09/2018 at 10:53, HillsideDepot said:

Whilst I can't help with acquiring an L Type frame only last night I was watching Locomaster Profiles DVD "Mersey Boxes" which includes the now defunct Liverpool Lime Street example being worked in all its polished glory.

A box featured heavily in my new book due out shortly, called Block Bells,Buttons and Dusters !  A must, for any signalling enthusiast :-)

• 2 years later...

20211215_111341.jpg.d279d7ce64807ef921ecd14005428390.jpg20211215_111337.jpg.43fadb6ed098cb964ced610d08286846.jpg20211215_111333.jpg.d5da7e8b38d7234ac12e3d0f5104aa75.jpgHello,

I did reply to this topic back in 2019.

I have nearly finished building our new locking lever frame. 

It is based on the Westinghouse B type lever frame.

It has a mechanical locking tray that can show its operation.

Here are a couple of pictures.

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• 2 months later...
On 16/12/2021 at 20:14, LNERGE said:

Any provision for electric locking?

Yes there will be a micro switches at each end of the levers travel, so you could add some electrical locking but its mainly to operate the points or signals

• Like 1