O North American Product News & Videos

mdvle

1 hour ago, jasond said:

Autorack - had to wipe my chin then!  The Lionel ones are lovely too, but you don't have to change the wheels on the Atlas and they look like 28" wheels or they wouldn't have had to say 'new tooling'.  True 'up there' Atlas!

Atlas released the Multi-Max in HO last year so it is possible that the O model was planned before the MTH purchase happened.

• Agree 1

I don't need Autoracks on my small layout, but the 50ft hicubes are welcome. I have several that I've 2-railed with Atlas roller-bearing trucks, although it's a bit of a bodge. If they came supplied with Atlas 2R trucks - with rotating bearing caps - that would be good. MTH 2R trucks just had moulded bearing caps.

2 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

I have several that I've 2-railed with Atlas roller-bearing trucks, although it's a bit of a bodge. If they came supplied with Atlas 2R trucks - with rotating bearing caps - that would be good. MTH 2R trucks just had moulded bearing caps.

Standard suggestion then - anyone who would like Atlas to offer 2-rail trucks as an option on the MTH stuff that Atlas bought should provide feedback to Atlas (and suggest anyone else you know who want the same thing to also provide feedback).

https://shop.atlasrr.com/t-contact.aspx

If enough people make their wishes known Atlas may move to offering what you want - for example Athearn has made it clear on several occasions recently that some paint schemes and products (Surfliner) are the result of customer feedback.

• Like 1

Totally agree.  Jarrett Haedrich, Atlas's Chief Operating Officer, has a video about the MTH acquisitions. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06oplKK84tg

Us 2-railers need to remind him about the better things in life.

Most of the ex-MTH freight cars are good or very good.  My definition of very good is just needing 2-rail trucks and couplers ... well Atlas have been doing that long enough.  The 50ft high cube boxcars Jordan mentioned and 50ft Airslides are among the first from Atlas, scale size and metal handgrabs these days.

The locos are more of a challenge and us 2-railers need to make sure Atlas know we are waiting.  The GE 44-tonner would be a good start for micro-layouts (what we tell inquisitive HOers is the way to scratch that O-scale itch).

So let's all send Jarrett an email

Jason

ps: OK I'll mention the Autorack.  2-rail offfered straight away, data from their HO project, newly-tooled trucks with the correct 28" wheels, rotating r/b journals, ...!  Yeah, yeah, my usual Atlas optimism right at the front there.  A beauty.  

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

So, this is more of a informational post rather than something most of the O people on this forum are likely interested in, but with time they will start to appear on eBay etc so you can now be aware of what is being offered.

Menards is moving into the O scale loco market - they have apparently been working on this for a number of years - and just released a first experimental run of 200 SF F3 locos to gather feedback - priced at $150 - which sold out in a matter of hours.

Now this model appears firmly in the toy train category, is remote control only with a provided remote control, and doesn't seem to have the performance most would want for realistic operation, and from the YouTube video that YouTube threw into my suggestions detail and possibly accuracy are lacking.  But it is clearly aimed at a price, and potentially can do well for a certain segment of the market.

Anyone interested in looking further there are at this point I am sure several YouTube videos and forum posts/blogs/etc about it.

This is a relevant YT vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PQaFZkQYsU

Nope, I didn't say "good" or "bad", just "but... but... but..., yeah, another tea please."

But it seems a good length/cross-section and the cab windows aren't as bad as Lionel.  C'mon Jason WDYE, it's 3-rail.  Yes, but scale length freight cars (plenty of <40ft prototypes) next - might just need 2-rail wheels?  Who said louvres - it's only a test prototype.

Edited by jasond

• 3 weeks later...

Atlas Summer 2021 - preorders due September 8th - eta 2Q2022

Reminder- Premier is ex-MTH and available 3-rail only

Premier - GP40 - Operation Lifesaver 50th Anniversary - collaboration between Atlas and Operation Lifesaver, with donation to Operation Lifesaver for every unit sold.

Premier - GP40 - CSX, PC, PC "Red C", Port Harbor "1st Responders", Rio Grande, UP

Master - 50' PS-1 (Modernized) Double Door Boxcar - C&O, Detroit & Mackinac, N&W, Rock Island, WP

Premier - Operating Dump Car - Amtrak, BNSF, CSXT, MP, N&W, SCL, SP

Trainman - 52'6" Flat Car with Load - BCOL, GTW, WM, BN, Conrail, CP, UP

http://download.atlasrr.com/0821MCPDF/Summer2021ASMCMSRPOnly.pdf

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Atlas - items that have already shipped from China and due October, these are retailer exclusives.

All are Master 8k gallon tank cars, all available in both 3-rail and 2-rail

The Public Delivery Track

Petersen Supply Company

Metca

• 2 weeks later...

Unless there is interest I likely won't post about these themed announcements in the future (I will continue to post about more normal O announcements), but I think this provides a clear indication of how Atlas intends to proceed with the O market following their partial MTH tooling acquisition - they are going full MTH/Lionel.

They have just announced a special St. Patrick's Day Boxcar - it "lights up for added fun" - https://download.atlasrr.com/0921MCPDF/MSRPSTPATSOF.pdf?mc_cid=61df1dc72d&mc_eid=be33225987

• Informative/Useful 1

Some reasonable 3-rail models do get painted strangely to maximise income, but I have to admit I model railroads and don't play trai MTH made some nice 3-rail models that only need new wheels, KD couplers and ...?  My MTH 2-bay Airslide is off the production line in BN green

Atlas don't appear to have any active O-scale dealers in the UK so you're right to consider these themed announcements, but FWIW my reaction is 'Don't bother'!

BTW Lionel make the nicest high-volume O-scale PS-1 boxcar!  The Rock Island version I picked up, for a repaint into D&H, is still in nice Rock paint.

Jason

5 hours ago, jasond said:

Atlas don't appear to have any active O-scale dealers in the UK

Atlas stuff, even the O scale stuff, is stocked by Walthers so any UK retailers that deal with Walthers can get it even if it means doing a special order or a pre-order.

• Informative/Useful 1

The trouble is that prices have gone through the roof now - on US Ebay new Atlas cars are hitting $150 to $200, then there's shipping & VAT to add, however that is going to get collected now.

Even unpowered diesels are on Ebay at around the $350 mark. Whether they sell or not may be another matter of course.

Personally I am effectively out of the new products game for US O Scale these days.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

When I was young and energetic, I was importing/selling Weaver, Intermountain (yep, that long ago) and anything else O-scale 2-rail I came across.  Just for a dare I called Atlas in the late '90s and asked to be a dealer.  It worked and I persevered for about 15 years.  I only imported 2-rail, but they didn't seem to mind.  I keep asking if anyone would like an internet site name and brain dump to carry on with the best kept secret in railroad modelling: 2-rail, finescale, 1:48.  Yes I've even got some P48 stuff for Eccentric Rebellion demonstrators.

Anyway, Winchester Meet on Oct 23, Saturday after next, tables of 2nd-hand O-scale, locos and stock, parts, etc.

Jason

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Atlas O - Winter 2021/22 - orders due January 19th 2022

Good news - all but one of the ex-MTH items are available to order in 2-Rail.

Master - Horizon / Comet Cars (previously announced, still accepting orders) - NJ Transit, Metro North, MBTA, Amtrak (Phase III, Phase V)

Master - F7 A/B - C&O, Reading, SP, Southern

Trainman C&O Cupola Caboose - C&O, EL, Maine Central, Reading, Southern, SP

Premier (ex-MTH):

P42 -  Amtrak 50th (Phase VI / Phase I / Dash 8 Phase III [aka pepsican] / Phase V, Midnight Blue), Phase V,

Amfleet -  50th (foobies) (Phase I / Phase III / Phase V, Phase VI, Midnight Blue), Phase V (Prototypical)

F40PH -  NJ Transit, Amtrak (Phase III, Phase IV), MBTA, Metro North

3-Bay Centerflow Hopper - BNSF, C&NW, GTW, MP, UP, Vermont

55' All Door Boxcar - BCR, David J Joseph, Simpson Timber, Triangle Pacific, Champion International, Masonite Corporation

Crane & Tender - Clinchfield, KCS, Nickel Plate, Rio Grande, SF, WP

Scale Test Car - BN, C&NW, CSX, Jersey Central, NYC, NS

Russell Snow Plow - 3-Rail ONLY - CN, Maine Central, NYC, Milwaukee Road, UP, Rio Grande

http://download.atlasrr.com/1121MCPDF/NOV2021OMSRPOnly1.pdf

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Atlas - preorders due March 30th - eta 4Q2022

Premier - P42 - Amtrak Operation Lifesaver 50th Anniversary

Premier - Northeast Steel Caboose - Operation Lifesaver 50th (3-rail only)

Premier - 50' PS-1 Boxcar - D&GRW "Insulated Cookie Box" (3-rail only)

Master - 40' Steel Reefer - Fruit Growers Express (2-rail only)

https://download.atlasrr.com/0322Surprise/March2022OSurpriseMSRPOnly.pdf

Thanks mdvle, I wish Atlas would tell us what they're doing. 

Doing only 3-rail versions of the caboose and box car...?  The caboose is a standard RDG-initiated mid-1920s design (never been done in real life in that paint scheme), but unlike the Cookie Box (40ft) popular paint job, kept into post-customer service, maybe these two cars are leftover MTH stock waiting for their Atlas boxes.  Or are we just back into 3-railers loud-voice-land. 

But hang-on the FGE reefer is offered as 2-rail only.  The pic is a 3-rail version!  Old inventory push?  Spin-off from a recent big order?  Lovely car ... bit early for me, sorry Atlas, 

I believe the P42 is an MTH design DCS PS3 (interoperable with DCC) usually/often(?) offered with 3-rail and 2-rail sets of wheels, but original MTH models from years gone by had the pilot/steps assembly attached to the trucks for sharp curves, hence the daylight between the pilots and floor.  Atlas changed their 2- and 3- rail diesel designs here to satisfy us 2-railers ... well, me anyway.  OK, I'll stop whingeing ... except can anyone tell me if the truck wheelbase is correct?  Some of MTH B-B offerings were about 102" - nope, not 96" switcher w/b or true 108" - 1/8" too short.

Jason 

• 1 month later...

Atlas O - preorders due June 8

Premier SD70ACe - CP (Army, Air Force, WWII Military Pride), Ferromex, KCS, Montana Rail Link, UP, BNSF, NS, UP

(note: the CP units are "close", the real CP military units are SD70ACu designation and are rebuilds of SD90 units)

Premier SD70M-2 - CN (GT Heritage / IPO 25 Years), Vermont Rail System

Premier S2 - Alaska, ACL, EL, NYC, UP, WP (3-rail only)

Premier Log Dump Car - Alaska, ACL, EL, Pittsburgh and Lake Erie, UP, WP (3-rail only)

Premier 40' PS-1 Box Car with 6' Door - Chicago & Illinois Midland, Lehigh New England, Nashville Chattanooga & St. Louis, NYC, Richmond Fredericksburg & Potomac, SF - Grand Canyon

Premier ACF 2-Bay Centerflow Hopper - Burlington, C&NW, Conrail, GN, Rock Island, Seaboard

Premier PS2-CD High Side Hopper - BN, CSX, Chicago & Eastern Illinois, Montana Rail Link, Equity Grain, J.W. Flammer, Red River Valley and Western, Stetson Chemicals

Premier 40' Modern Tank Car - Allied Chemical (Folian Fertilizer), Honeywell, Ozone Waters, Standard Chlorine of Delaware, Transportation Energy, Procor (Optimizer)

NEW TOOLING - Master 50' & 53' Rebuild Well Car - NOKL, TTX (3 versions)   /  Florida East Coast, St. Marys Railway West, TTX (2 version including Pink "On Track for a Cure"

Master - Trinity 25,500 Gallon Tank Car - GATX (Owensboro Grain / Soy Power Bio Fuels), NATX (Golden Peanut Company / UTCK repaint), TILX (AGP / Lake Erie Bio Fuels)

Master - 36' Wood Reefer - Memphis Packing Corporation, St Louis Refrigerator Car, Swift (1949 Scheme), Wilson Packing Certified Ham, Kayn's, Nuckoll's

Master - 40' High-Cube Container - CMA CGM, Global, Hapag Lloyd, ZIM, HMM, Turkon, ONE, Seaboard Marine

Master - 20' Refrigerated Container - China Shipping, COSCO, K-Line, ONE

http://download.atlasrr.com/0422MCPDF/OSPRING2022MSRPOnly.pdf

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...