Sorry M.Daguerre

merlinxlili

I am toying with idea of trying to start by making some small model railway scenes (I loathe the word “diorama”) in order to try out techniques, especially making simple scenery and painting. I am very short of space so this might be as far as I go, but at least it is a start.

Everyone needs inspiration, so I began looking through my pile of Irish railway books for suitable subjects. On scanning the books it became clear the vast majority of photographs are of the “3/4 view of a nice train approaching” sort, sometimes with beautiful Irish countryside, etc, but very little which could become the subject for a small model scene.

One of the first suitable photographs I found is in “The Ulster Transport Authority in Colour” p67, which shows a string of WTs in the cramped remains of the engine shed sidings, with stream, rain, dumped ash and sooty brick all around. The inspector is standing atop a tank, back to the camera, looking on. You could cut through the atmosphere. Other books which I can highly recommend for anyone looking for gritty railway atmosphere rather than showcase stuff are in the “Irish Railway Photographers” series, also from Colourpoint; “Chasing the Flying Snail” for example has many good photographs of this ilk.

Just a thought…..