The Cardiff (Small) Model Railway Show 2019

br2975

• RMweb Premium

I had a pleasant couple of hours visiting today - some very interesting layouts.

One curiosity - my phone was convinced that I was very close to the Barry and Penarth club rooms in Cadoxton. 

The only explanation I can think of is that a layout there has wifi and was in Cadoxton on a previous occasion, fooling Google's wifi-based geolocation system.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Thoroughly enjoyed my day as an exhibitor; thanks to all for the usual friendly welcome, the many enjoyable chats with the public, and my excellent operators on the layout, Marc and Dave.

To paraphrase NHY581, bloody good show!

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Thoroughly enjoyed my day as an exhibitor; thanks to all for the usual friendly welcome, the many enjoyable chats with the public, and my excellent operators on the layout, Marc and Dave.

To paraphrase NHY581, bloody good show!

post-14122-0-72147400-1548541270.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

It was a splendid little show with some outstanding layouts.

First up (more later)  is L’heure blueu – 3.5mm ‘HO’ Scale night time in a Northern French tow during the 1950s and 1960s, by Al. Reynolds. (Barry Ten of this parish) 

Some excellent multi-level modelling here. The whole thing just looked right. Of particular note were the buildings. I'm afraid my feeble efforts with the cameraphone didn't do them justice. A nice touch was the moving delivery lorry which could negotiate a three way junction. All very clever! 

post-6728-0-43684800-1548601979_thumb.jpg 

post-6728-0-11518800-1548602033_thumb.jpg   

post-6728-0-30368700-1548602180_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-23468000-1548602260_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

A few snaps of 'Crossley Scrap'. This was a masterpiece in industrial modelling with just an excellent representation of ground-up rusty scrap metal heaps. An object lesson in weathering.

post-6728-0-18781100-1548680165_thumb.jpg 

post-6728-0-38337200-1548680295_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-92547500-1548680362_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-17956600-1548680417_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Thoroughly enjoyed the show. I was pleased to be of help Barry Ten. The layout was superb. I'm glad you decided to opt for the blue lighting
It suited the atmosphere of the setting, and created a lovely ambience. Nice to drive Abercynon Fach for a little while too

br2975 and brother pestered me to get something built for next year. It seems a long way off at this point in time, but as we all know, layout building time is wont to move even more quickly than lunchtimes or Sunday afternoons ;)

Well done to all exhibitors, helpers and organisers - the show seems to grow in stature and quality each year

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Thoroughly enjoyed the show. I was pleased to be of help Barry Ten. The layout was superb. I'm glad you decided to opt for the blue lighting

It suited the atmosphere of the setting, and created a lovely ambience. Nice to drive Abercynon Fach for a little while too

br2975 and brother pestered me to get something built for next year. It seems a long way off at this point in time, but as we all know, layout building time is wont to move even more quickly than lunchtimes or Sunday afternoons ;)

Well done to all exhibitors, helpers and organisers - the show seems to grow in stature and quality each year

Be good to see you there Marc........

• Like 1

The rain started as I negotiated the Second Severn Crossing and continued as I sat in the car at Pontcanna Scout Hut.  Somehow I felt at home.  A brief scamper between the raindrops brought me to the show where I received a warm welcome.  There was never any real threat of me dressing as the Beddgelert station mistress, and not just because I know very little about drag.   My Welsh language garment came from the Stonewall range and it was just my luck that someone manning one of the stalls used to teach Welsh.

For me, two layouts stood out.   NHY581's Sheep Lane is a textbook example of 'less is more' and Barry 10's L'Heure Bleue a delightful impression of somewhere in France with some very noce touches.  It is always good to see Abercynon Fach, for if you know your Valleys it is clear at once where it is supposed to be.  Paul Gandy's interpretation of Haverfordwest is both faithful and novel with the constant flow of armoured vehicles.

It was also good to see some old and new friends.  Long time no see, Marc Smith: if Brachty Bridge is still in one piece you should dig it out again.  Good to meet you at last, Tomparryharry, but sorry to have missed you, Timbowilts.  Maybe next year: I hope to be there if I'm spared.  Which reminds me: I was touched that so many inquired after my health.  The head is working much better than it had been, thanks.

Well done, BR2975 and Naturol.  You have a winning product there.

Chris

Edited by chrisf
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the mention Chris. It was good to see you. The distance you travelled to get to us was quite a step to say the least.

The show felt good, lots of interest shown and all very pleasant to be part of.

Hopefully next year I will have something new to show off.

Rob.