Cavalex Models All new RTR BBA wagon in 4mm scale

Grimleygrid

Hi Will. The bogies have been designed to take wheels upto P4 however you would have to either remove or adapt the brake gear as due to their nature (disk brakes) they have to be set at a partiular gauge. They are seperate items though so no big deal to resolve.

I like the sound of this :)

I like the sound of this :)

Picture of bogie with OO wheelsets. You can see the brake gear on this. They just pull off. You would need to either leave off or cut off the mounting pegs and glue back on further out. I looked at adding pegs for both positions but they were so close together that it wouldn't work.

post-6894-0-47601200-1541162278_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

I know understand your design - impressive!!

Snipping off and re-positioning is ok as this is something I do on all my conversions (or dare I say it leaving off all together!). The bit thats difficult is if the bogie is too narrow and cannot accommodate the wheelsets resulting in needing a fold up etch. 

Out of general curiosity do you know the profile of the wheelsets that you intend to use? 

I'm definitely in for a smallish rake - looks fab :)

Modellers licence, damaged wagon movement, who knows. I'm sure there is something you can do with one or two.

How about....

- Wagons due scheduled maintenance moving to Doncaster as part of a Speedlink - could be as few as you like, one even...

- Freshly overhauled (inc. new paint job) wagons moving back from Doncaster to Tees or Cardiff in a Speedlink - one ex-works wagon was quite common in a Speedlink, or a few of different types.

- A handful of BBAs in a GUS service along with other ex-works wagons and whatever weird and wonderful assortment of departmental wagons you fancy - GUS workings could include literally anything and were often used for overflow traffic from regular freight workings

- An additional steel working with coils or blooms or empty, something running with a 6Zxx headcode, workings like that could be 3 to 6 wagons, just enough to handle the extra traffic, or move wagons to where they needed to be for the traffic.

- RFd-Metals also had workings that provided a mini-network when they pulled out of Speedlink, if you have any SPAs, BAAs, BDAs or RRA type runner wagons, you could put them all together and have a really credible looking service. Stick a 37/5 or 37/9 on the front and boy would that look cool

If you want it (a few BBAs)... all you really need is some spare time and Flickr and you will find all the justification you need :-)

• Like 2

Do you know the overall length of the model so I can determine how many I could get onto my cassettes?

EDIT

Real things are 16280 / 16480 mm over differing buffers which equates to 214 / 217 mm in "00" - looking at the CAD's if you added say 10mm (total) for the tension lock loop extension beyond buffers at each end - gives an idea at least until the pukka info emerges as stated below ....................

Edited by Southernman46

That length depends on diagram and their subsequent buffer lengths as these varied.

For the model the length over tension lock coupler hook is what matters.

I will update this post soon with the model length over TL coupler.

• RMweb Premium

Picture of bogie with OO wheelsets. You can see the brake gear on this. They just pull off. You would need to either leave off or cut off the mounting pegs and glue back on further out. I looked at adding pegs for both positions but they were so close together that it wouldn't work.

attachicon.gifComplete Bogie with coupler.jpg

As the brake calipers are a separate part, have you considered the possibility of making them available as a spare?  They are conspicuous by their absence on most other RTR disc braked wagons so a supply of them could be handy.

hope this works , a spreadsheet from around the early 2000's of the BBA design codes and pools / workings. By checking the wagon number and design code with pictures on the likes of flikr you should will be able to work out the various bolster types etc...

bba.xls

Edited by bazjones1711

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Cav, Alex,

Excellent choice IMHO, you've mentioned the decking would be removable for those of us who might wish to a conversion but is it your intention to do the BIA/BXA/BWA hoods or the BLA coil cradles in the future?

I built the BLA from the Cambrian chassis

post-7557-0-75819500-1542284331.jpg

The BIA/BXA/BWA EWS hoods:

post-7557-0-57004500-1542284436.jpg

DB Schenker did several prototypes before starting the MXA 'Lobster' program, MVA 910164 was a BBA conversion:

post-7557-0-51847300-1542284521.jpg

As BazJones1711 has suggested there's lots of scope with this ;)

• Like 2

Few wagon labels from BBA wagons all from Lackenby to Shelton , will try and find the pools of all the BBA from the classic year of 1988 when class 37/5 worked most of the trains out of Lackenby to the likes of Shelton , Hartlepool (coil although these wagons were allocated to the slab pool  at the time ) Workington and Skinningrove

post-19557-0-09269200-1542320009_thumb.jpg