Our two entries are of Finchley Road & Frognal station on the Hampstead Junction Railway (North London Railway) in 1959. This was a time when the NLR was run-down after the war and the models aim to reflect the neglect of the period. Because the track layout on our model does not conform precisely with the layout at Finchley Road & Frognal we have revived the old name 'Finchley Road (St John's Wood)' that the station bore when first constructed in 1860. It was renamed Finchley Road & Frognal in 1880.

All models are 4mm to 1 foot scale and based on photographs sourced from various books and publications, Holborn Library and, in the case of aerial photographs, from English Heritage. Archive mapping came from Ordnance Survey.

The signal box is a standard LNWR Type 4 box. The upper parts are from a Churchward Models etched brass kit. However, I didn't like the cast resin base that came with the kit and replaced it with one scratch-built from plasticard. A Springside Models interior detailing kit and some fire buckets finish the whole thing off.

post-12957-0-59265400-1541168039_thumb.jpg

post-12957-0-64055400-1541168076_thumb.jpg

post-12957-0-26028300-1541168105_thumb.jpg

post-12957-0-30693800-1541168142_thumb.jpg

post-12957-0-38764400-1541168183_thumb.jpg

post-12957-0-54689600-1541168208.jpg

post-12957-0-88552400-1541168246_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Nice work, but a couple of comments.

From memory, the gable end finials look too tall.

The Springside interior kit has the ordinary lever release handles, not the unique LNWR loops on the "pull" side of the lever. Not easy to models in 4mm, but it might be better to simply remove the standard handles.

• RMweb Gold

Nice little box but as Jol says the frame is a GWR rather than LNWR one, and the Churchward finials are too big also the overhang of the end boards is a type 5 thing.

Some photos of type 4 boxes here

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/134940-beasts-photos-ongoing-last-update-01-november-2018/page-2

The lever colours are probably not right and the interlocking is broken (but these are picky points)

The London Road top is more accurate as it's drawn from the LNWR originals

Thanks both for your comments; ah, then, the rub of the green when using a kit!  But it'll do us fine for our model railway.   Just to clarify, as noted in our other entry for Finchley Road station, the 'box was built by Bern Munday for the club layout, painted by him and weathered by me.   I don't think Bern will trouble himself too much about the lever handles  :)  Regards!

• RMweb Gold

Thanks both for your comments; ah, then, the rub of the green when using a kit!  But it'll do us fine for our model railway.   Just to clarify, as noted in our other entry for Finchley Road station, the 'box was built by Bern Munday for the club layout, painted by him and weathered by me.   I don't think Bern will trouble himself too much about the lever handles  :)  Regards!

It's a lovely model - don't take my comments too badly, I was commenting really for the benefit of others who may want to use other components - it certainly captures an LNWR box nicely.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Our two entries are of Finchley Road & Frognal station on the Hampstead Junction Railway (North London Railway) in 1959. This was a time when the NLR was run-down after the war and the models aim to reflect the neglect of the period. Because the track layout on our model does not conform precisely with the layout at Finchley Road & Frognal we have revived the old name 'Finchley Road (St John's Wood)' that the station bore when first constructed in 1860. It was renamed Finchley Road & Frognal in 1880.

All models are 4mm to 1 foot scale and based on photographs sourced from various books and publications, Holborn Library and, in the case of aerial photographs, from English Heritage. Archive mapping came from Ordnance Survey.

The signal box is a standard LNWR Type 4 box. The upper parts are from a Churchward Models etched brass kit. However, I didn't like the cast resin base that came with the kit and replaced it with one scratch-built from plasticard. A Springside Models interior detailing kit and some fire buckets finish the whole thing off.

attachicon.gifDSCF9629 (1).JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF9631.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF9632.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF9633.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF9645.JPG

attachicon.gifSignal Box (3C) 2016-09.jpg

attachicon.gifSignal box interior (3) 2014-05.JPG

May I ask what is the small cabin on the end for ? If it is what I think it is where are the soil pipes ?

Regards

Peter