British Army MAN HX RMMV

Leadmill

One of the more noticable absences from modern military and railway modelling is the MAN HX series of trucks currently in use by the British Army and other armed forces. The only other modern(ish) kit out there is the now OOP JB Models/Airfix Bedford MK. The MAN HX has a wide variety of subclasses ranging from 4 to 16 wheelers in many configurations. I've been after some for my layout for a long time now and I am suprised a company like Oxford has not looked into it. Even Shapeways only has N gauge offerings.

Modern military vehicles are a little niche but companies like Oxford LOVE niche so hopefully this is something they might consider.

post-15580-0-34124100-1542361708.jpgpost-15580-0-76678700-1542361715.jpgpost-15580-0-02648400-1542361723.jpg

• Like 2

.....except, if I recall correctly [as a one time military instructor on these vehicles].....the British military refer to them as ''15' tonners, rather than '16?'

Not that it makes any difference.

The main thing to watch for if using a 'generic' MAN vehicle is the type of suspension.

In the main, the general purpose vehicles bought for the UK armed forces was the 'cheap' option.....leaf springs, and a bogie for the rear end on the 9 & 15 tonners....and very different layout visible behind the cab.

The more expensive versions[sold to German Army, for example]....had coil sprung suspension, with the engine not actually 'underneath' the cab, unlike the cheap options.

The UK Army had to purchase the full monty version for the recovery vehicle...the add-ons weren't available with the cheap chassis [of the 15 tonner, and it's derivatives, like EPLS]

A 9 tonner cannot be easily converted to a 6 tonner, since the latter is quite a bit lower than the former.......which made life a lot easier for an auld fahrt to climb in & out of the cab.....there may have been a consideration for providing us auld fahrts with a Stannah lift, to assist entry and egress.....but I digress....

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

i am in the process of mastering quite a few of the man gb truck, both hx & sx types.

the first 2 are a 4x4 & 6x6 gs models but and 8x8 gs and a wrecker are planned for 2022.

i know this is an old post but no one else seems to be doing them in 1/72 scale so far.

we already make 4x4, 6x6 & 8x8 west german man kat1 trucks.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Reviving this old thread as I bought one of the S&S recovery vehicle kits and finished it in civvy colours.

YY07XVV.jpg.ad2bb6c02e63339cef58f47d667ab0fc.jpg

YY07XVV1.jpg.b21d6870f83a8747dbb3c25d0ad0e832.jpg

YY07XVV2.jpg.eb77164a0f9fedbb21c2ddb55420fdd6.jpg

YY07XVV3.jpg.9e67125de02c92c8288df1fceb5c35c4.jpg

A little simplified to make it suitable for wargaming but it captures the impressive bulk of these machines. After finishing it I discovered Feather 3D Printing, who do it with open windows in both 1/72 and 1/76 scales. I've bought one of theirs for comparison with the S&S offering but as they're printed to order it hasn't arrived yet.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sandsmodels said:

fab job on that, we do get the odd pic of civy versions of models but as that is still a rare vehicle in civy hands looks good in that scheme.

would it be possible to use a pic or 2 for the webshop?

thanks

Glad you like it. I've been wanting to see what one might look like in civvy colours but as far as I know no recovery firm in the UK has one - have any been sold by the MOD yet? I could imagine Adam Crouch buying one and painting it in his bright orange.

Feel free to use the pics. I've just finished the Unimog in the same colours so I'll get some pics of that too next week.

hi

thanks for that, a few have been sold at auction by the main mod auctioners, can't remember the name at present.

crouch  have an ex us army oshkosh m1070 done as a wrecker and i have just finished both the gb & usa versions of the het's.

i wish i could post pics!

thanks again and looking forward to the mog as well

shaun

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Some MAN British Army trucks are starting to appear in 1/76 scale....

This seller on eBay is one source.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/feather3dprinting

Not sure what the range is - I've messaged asking but no reply yet - I note eBay say he is away at present though.

Phil H

Edited by Scottish Modeller

On 30/09/2023 at 21:23, Scottish Modeller said:

Hi all,

Some MAN British Army trucks are starting to appear in 1/76 scale....

This seller on eBay is one source.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/feather3dprinting

Not sure what the range is - I've messaged asking but no reply yet - I note eBay say he is away at present though.

Phil H

I've got one of the Feather MANs which should be finished this week. It's very different from the S&S version. According to his Facebook page, he's going to be doing the Foden 6x6 wrecker, which is one I'm looking forward to.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the Feather 3D MAN wrecker. It's completely different and much chunkier than the S&S version and I suspect may be based on a non-UK type as it's LHD.

YX08YKY.jpg.2fd511139f021f8abc28b578cdab083d.jpg

YX08YKY1.jpg.4f212a59f09689e09d029405d94c41d9.jpg

YX08YKY2.jpg.11e7a7dcb56bf229f600a4f8cf272a04.jpg

There's something odd with the dimensions though. The Feather was ordered as 1/76 but is noticeably bigger than the 1/72 S&S. I don't know which is more accurate as I haven't found any dimensions for the real thing, but they don't sit well together.

YX08YKY_YY07XVV.jpg.92e2c16dca2cf7b3bdff3222248c2a4e.jpg

YX08YKY_YY07XVV1.jpg.323f6b353e7906f4484c6a3d208748e2.jpg

nice model, but mine is as near 1/72 as i could get it, imho if you compare it to the revell man cabs which is what they are based on., wheels look a lot bigger, i have bought and seen several supposed scaled 3d prints and most are not the scale they are stated as sadly.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

that does look good, i found those chinese m35's a while ago and are ideal for gaming and conversions, the only thing that does not look right is the cab roof a sort of halfway between a hard top and soft top one.

i did the wrecker conversion a long time ago and really forgot about it for ages.

i did speak to a yank who said they did not like them in service as they were under powered for towing.

i must admit i have a laugh when i see them pictured on ebay as who ever builds them does tend to get the wheels wrong!

thanks for the pic.