YOB Plasser 12t GPC in OO Gauge from Hattons Originals

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Gold

Hattons OO Gauge YOB Plasser 12t GPC

post-28458-0-44262700-1542618074_thumb.jpg

The Plasser 12t General Purpose Crane (GPC) is a piece of On Track Plant machinery built from the mid-1970s and used countrywide as a very useful tool in relaying sites. Up until the mid 2000s they were regularly seen in consists travelling to and from worksites and there are still a small number being used with Balfour Beatty on the national network.  Such is the usefulness and versatility of the design, several have been ‘preserved’ and are used maintaining heritage railways across the country. Often used in pairs for lifting track panels etc. we will be releasing matched pairs of some liveries to enable this to be shown in trains.

We are producing a total of ten versions in liveries spanning the career of these perennially useful machines with variations in the tooling to accommodate the different jib supports (or lack thereof) on specific machines.

post-28458-0-21343100-1542619412.jpg

Model Specifications:

• RP25 wheel profile
  • NEM coupling pockets
  • Etched metal handrails
  • Highly detailed (static) jib and cab 
  • Crane cabling represented

post-28458-0-54038900-1542619230.jpg

These models are being produced exclusively by Hattons and are available to pre-order for £69 each at www.hattons.co.uk/GPC

CADs are currently being worked on with delivery scheduled to be in January 2020.

post-28458-0-63123600-1542620073_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Cant see how to order matched pairs and which these will be. Is this a later release to those available to preorder now

Hi Garry,

The matched pairs are available in Plasser/BR yellow, unbranded yellow and Balfour Beatty blue and white.

You can just order the codes ending 001 and 002, 003 and 004 or 009 and 010 respectively.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Dave

Interesting I was a PW Engineer for British Rail and Network Rail for nearly forty years and never saw two 12t teles used to lift track panels as a pair, that was what we had TRM's for. Pairs of road rail machines in later days yes, but two 12t tele cranes would be clumsy overkill for ordinary track panels. Although that said practices did vary from area to area.

Otherwise nice to see some of the Civil Engineers kit being made available as models.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Interesting I was a PW Engineer for British Rail and Network Rail for nearly forty years and never saw two 12t teles used to lift track panels as a pair, that was what we had TRM's for. Pairs of road rail machines in later days yes, but two 12t tele cranes would be clumsy overkill for ordinary track panels. Although that said practices did vary from area to area.

Otherwise nice to see some of the Civil Engineers kit being made available as models.

Hi Trog,

We've seen a few examples so far of them working together.

An example can be seen on the excellent ontrackplant website: http://www.ontrackplant.com/photo/81512_81527

Cheers,

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Hi Garry,

The matched pairs are available in Plasser/BR yellow, unbranded yellow and Balfour Beatty blue and white.

You can just order the codes ending 001 and 002, 003 and 004 or 009 and 010 respectively.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Dave

Thanks Dave

My misunderstanding i thought it meant like a twin pack.

Placing my order now

Thanks for producing this.

Very nice indeed. One of the branded BR ones for me.

Question(s): Were these taken to site individually or with for example, Salmon ladened with track Pannels in the consist of the engineering train?

What other engineering wagons could they / would they typically run with if they went to site in train consist?

Were they vacuum or air braked?

Edited by 66738

On a light hearted note, I think this is the beginning of the end of 'The Bachmann Scrum' at Warley each year.....

Hmmmmm.....  Because a PW crane is a substitute for a discounted 4MT, bogie bolster or triple pack of coal merchants' wagons?

Maybe, just maybe!   :angel:

That's welcome, another secret I don't have to sit on!

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/plassercrane

There is a section on these cranes in Tatlow, Peter (2018) Railway Cranes: Volume 3. Rail-mounted travelling Cranes of Britain. Publ. Crecy Publishing Ltd Manchester ISBN  978086093684-8. 224 pages.  Pages 171 - 173 with one of Peters' lovely drawings. I don't know if this was an influence on Hattons but I hope it was, small on-track plant have a great deal of 'play' value as they could be seen on any part of the system, large or small.

Paul

• RMweb Gold

Question(s): Were these taken to site individually or with for example, Salmon ladened with track Pannels in the consist of the engineering train?

What other engineering wagons could they / would they typically run with if they went to site in train consist?

Hi 66738,

1. They would be taken to site as part of the engineers train. There's a video of a modern working here:

https://youtu.be/tWZUob9nQKE?t=331

The method of working in BR days would have been broadly the same as this.

2. They would be seen with a wide variety of engineering wagons, the sky's the limit.

3. The TOPS code for these is YOB meaning: Y = engineers bogie wagon, O = the designated letter within this, B = air braked, through vacuum piped. This means that the air brakes would work on this wagon but it can be put in a vacuum-fitted train and would normally be positioned directly behind the loco.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Dave

Hi 66738,

1. They would be taken to site as part of the engineers train. There's a video of a modern working here:

https://youtu.be/tWZUob9nQKE?t=331

The method of working in BR days would have been broadly the same as this.

2. They would be seen with a wide variety of engineering wagons, the sky's the limit.

3. The TOPS code for these is YOB meaning: Y = engineers bogie wagon, O = the designated letter within this, B = air braked, through vacuum piped. This means that the air brakes would work on this wagon but it can be put in a vacuum-fitted train and would normally be positioned directly behind the loco.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Dave.

Many thanks for your prompt reply.

Your explanation answers my questions perfectly.

Many thanks.

Perhaps more likely to go to site with the spoil wagons than the wagons of materials except for small jobs with a crossover on site where everything could be on one train, as you would want the crane on an adjacent road to the materials and the work site not the same one.

The cranes were/are self propelled on site so if your site includes a siding the crane can be stabled in before the job it could then go to site under its own power. These cranes were also allowed subject to gradients to move up to 150 tons of wagons and load.

• Informative/Useful 1

Perhaps more likely to go to site with the spoil wagons than the wagons of materials except for small jobs with a crossover on site where everything could be on one train, as you would want the crane on an adjacent road to the materials and the work site not the same one.

The cranes were/are self propelled on site so if your site includes a siding the crane can be stabled in before the job it could then go to site under its own power. These cranes were also allowed subject to gradients to move up to 150 tons of wagons and load.

Thank you Trog.

More valuable information for me to chew over.