Accurascale Class 55 Deltic - 4mm scale

The instructions give us part numbers but not names of parts.   For example, I would like to know which part is the works plate so that its red arrow on the diagram would tell me where it goes!   But, of course, the model is fantastic.

Edited by benachie

• RMweb Gold

I had an interesting experience playing with my sound fitted Deltic today - I applied the handbrake - F29 and then forgetting that the brake was applied tried to move the loco forward . The engine speed increased as expected but the loco wouldn't move - the hand brake was still ON !  I thought that the handbrake was a sound function only - not an actual physical brake WOW . 

I have programmed the 'Kadee shuffle' , reduced the master sound volume and set the brake key F8 so that it applies the brake when the loco is in motion

( Dynamic Braking ? )  . Just need to alter the brightness of the headcode lights but that will have to wait another day 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, shunny said:

Unfortunately mine will have to be returned white paint on the body, l have sent message to accurrascale I'm sure they will get it sorted. Otherwise a great model and captures the look of the Deltic.

DSC_0373~2.JPG

Return for that ?????

• Agree 7

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, jools1959 said:

Just wondering, has the pallet or pallets for Rails, DPS, Locomotion been dispatched from you yet?  The reason I ask is I have to have a minor operation next week and ideally I'd like to receive it before I go in.  Thanks

As I posted into one of the Locomotion Models threads, their response to my query was - we are expecting to be despatching by UPS circa the 27th. Like you I may have to alter the delivery destination or the delivery date.

1 hour ago, resin001 said:

I had an interesting experience playing with my sound fitted Deltic today - I applied the handbrake - F29 and then forgetting that the brake was applied tried to move the loco forward . The engine speed increased as expected but the loco wouldn't move - the hand brake was still ON !  I thought that the handbrake was a sound function only - not an actual physical brake WOW . 

I have programmed the 'Kadee shuffle' , reduced the master sound volume and set the brake key F8 so that it applies the brake when the loco is in motion

( Dynamic Braking ? )  . Just need to alter the brightness of the headcode lights but that will have to wait another day 

I am sure a lot of us out there who are less knowledgeable than yourself, would be most grateful if you would kindly post details of the changes you made, ie CV nos and values.

many thanks in anticipation

• Agree 3

13 hours ago, Richard Croft said:

You're right, I do sound fitting for customers, so I've been lucky enough to hear some pretty good models. I wasn't trying to be too critical of this model, because it does sound good, but also I dont think it sounds as good as something with an EM2 which is the way it was promoted. When the model was announced I asked Accurascale if it would sound as good as an EM2 fitted model, because I was trying to decide whether to keep or sell my Bachmann one, and they replied 'It will sound better', it doesn't in my opinion because Deltics need so much bass. I wasn't going to post this video here because its nothing to do with Accurascales model, but all I was saying is that some of the other models I've heard had more bass, if you watch the video its clear, even if you watch it through a phone or laptop. 

As I said before the Accurascale one is good enough for most people, It moves things forward from a ready to run sound point of view. It's not something I'll be trying to offer upgrades for, although I might mess about with my own a bit to see if I can 'improve' it, some people might not think it needs improving which is fine.

Richard

Interesting

In your opinion is the difference down to hardware or the sound files. The AS model has an EM2 (or similar) speakrt plus a sugarcube. Could CVs be tweaked to increase bass?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, G-BOAF said:

Interesting

In your opinion is the difference down to hardware or the sound files. The AS model has an EM2 (or similar) speakrt plus a sugarcube. Could CVs be tweaked to increase bass?

I have a Deltic with EM2 and the sound from DC Kits. It's great and with possibly slighter deeper base. It's hard to compare as that speaker is sat in the fuel tank, whereas the AC speakers are above the chassis. I would say the twin speaker of AC gives a wider range of frequencies and the speed steps for throttling up are smaller. Both these factors are better on a small layout with a smaller enclosed space needing a lower volume and with a limited running speed. The AC is miles and miles better than the factory fitted Bachmann models.

So not much to choose between them regarding sound, but as previously stated it's very much down to the preferences of the listener and to some extent the other occupants of the household!

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Richard Croft said:

This is the final thing i’ll say in this thread, because I’ve just read this after my last post.

I’m just a regular person too, who has a lot of experience with sound. When Accurascale told me it would sound better than my Bachmann deltic with an EM2 that’s what I expected. When it didn’t I was disappointed and I thought it was a reasonable thing to say when giving my opinion on the model. Would you have been happy for me to comment if I was 100% positive? Other people have posted photos of loose parts that came with models which I guess could also take the shine off you getting your own model but if that’s the case and they are disappointed then they are entitled to say.

I’ll say it again, the sound is fine, it’s not the best loco I’ve ever heard, but it’s a very good standard for ready to run sound. If anyone has read anything I’ve put and been put off getting one, don’t be.

im still going to try and improve mine, but it doesn’t mean everyone needs to, or will want to.

Richard

I don't think the majority on here would want you to refrain from posting your thoughts on this subject. I have not received my Deltics yet so I don't yet have an opinion myself.

I for one will always be interested to read your views and I know your agenda here Is nothing other than genuine. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 14

15 minutes ago, Richard Croft said:

This is the final thing i’ll say in this thread, because I’ve just read this after my last post.

I’m just a regular person too, who has a lot of experience with sound. When Accurascale told me it would sound better than my Bachmann deltic with an EM2 that’s what I expected. When it didn’t I was disappointed and I thought it was a reasonable thing to say when giving my opinion on the model. Would you have been happy for me to comment if I was 100% positive? Other people have posted photos of loose parts that came with models which I guess could also take the shine off you getting your own model but if that’s the case and they are disappointed then they are entitled to say.

I’ll say it again, the sound is fine, it’s not the best loco I’ve ever heard, but it’s a very good standard for ready to run sound. If anyone has read anything I’ve put and been put off getting one, don’t be.

im still going to try and improve mine, but it doesn’t mean everyone needs to, or will want to.

Richard

Richard I also welcome your views, and the videos and advice you post.  I have not received my Deltic yet.  I think the subject of DCC sound can be very subjective.   My own view is that DCC sound has improved dramatically over the past 10 years with better sound projects, decoders and of course speakers.  So I am sure I will not be disappointed with the Deltic.  

So to reiterate what Dicky L says above - I will also be interested in reading your views no matter where you post them.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

11 hours ago, aureol40012 said:

This shows of the sound better than any other video I’ve seen!

That is amazing, I have never been truly convinced by DCC sound but that is a different league.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, 89A said:

Return for that ?????

A modelnof the fidelity of this, with pipework that can hardly/not be seen from normal angles, cannot ve paired with rogue smudges of paint. Even if you were weathering these marks would be hard to hide.

Seems to me that the factory was touching up the white pipework and slipped. Quite why the loco was then still packaged i dont know. But it seems AS have spares.

• Like 3

If it's a touch-up of pipework (which is what it certainly looks like) then it will be on top of the varnish coat on the body, which means it should come off with a quick polish and not leave any damage. 

I know it's up to the individual, but this is what I'd do rather than go through the whole returns process. 

Cheers,

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Hound Dog said:

I am sure a lot of us out there who are less knowledgeable than yourself, would be most grateful if you would kindly post details of the changes you made, ie CV nos and values.

many thanks in anticipation

Ok no problem - please be aware that I am not sure if all DCC controllers allow index programming / changes to top end CV values , check before you change anything. I use ECoS and a Lokprogrammer 

Kadee Shuffle on F30 ( to match coupling sound ) : CV246 , 247 and 248 = 120 , CV Index , CV31 = 16 ; CV32 = 10  then CV324 = 64 

Master Volume : CV 63 reduced from 192 to 140 - This can be any value between 1 and 192 until  it meets the individuals requirement

Brake Setting on F8 : CV179 from 128 to 153 and CV182 from 126 to 0 - Pressing F8 will slow the loco , releasing F8 will restore the original speed

I have not done the headlight dimming yet but will advise accordingly 

• Thanks 5
  • Informative/Useful 4

11 hours ago, 89A said:

Return for that ?????

I'd definitely return it for that. I have returned stuff for less obvious issues than that.

Not sure why you think it's an acceptable state for a loco to arrive in to be honest!

Whilst it probably is an easy rework (which I presume is the angle your remark is coming from) there are several things to consider IMO:

1. It shouldn't need reworking

2. I'd want to take the body off to correct that I think, and given there are no instructions as to how to take the body off, there could be all sorts of other issues could arise from it (if it's anything like the Hattons 66 for example, it's an awkward and time consuming process getting the body off without marking or damaging stuff).

3. If a mistake is made when getting the paint off, you have damaged your loco as a result of trying to do the manufacturer a favour which isn't really the way it should work. I cannot comment as to whether AS would sympathise here as I am nothing to do with them but in most cases if there is an issue companies want it returning as it was supplied before anyone else faffs with it.

4. Returning something for me normally lies around how much hassle the return is vs the sorting it out myself. I aren't skilled or confident at doing stuff with paint and so I'd definitely not want to potentially ruin a new loco as a result of my incompetence. OTOH I do feel if something has dropped off then gluing it back in is less hassle than arranging the return.

• Agree 5

12 hours ago, aureol40012 said:

This shows of the sound better than any other video I’ve seen!

I’ve just upped the master volume to 192 so let’s see how that sounds outdoors! May need to work out individual sound settings but that a job for later

• Friendly/supportive 1

17 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the feedback and duly noted on body removal. We’ll get a “how to” done and stick it on the website next week and ensure all future instruction bookets have them.

Cheers!

Fran

What about a printable PDF on the website? Just for those to fold up and put in the box, so they don’t have to go to the website every time they forget? Which I know I will!🤣

• Like 5
  • Agree 4

1 hour ago, Wolf27 said:

Oiled them this morning

Many years ago I acquired a set of joeff mk3’s. Initially they were absolute dogs running ,with dragging and squeaky wheels , this was all solved by a light oiling to become one of the best running sets I have.

Edited by d46037

On 6/13/2022 at 12:21 AM, Craigw said:

of

KOSB arrived yesterday. Apart from the bodyside filler hatch outlines being a little heavy, she really is superb. The first model Deltic to truly capture the nose profile and the 'sit' is perfect.

Well done guys. Just waiting for St Paddy now with a real sense of anticipation. 🙂👍

Davy.

• Like 2