Accurascale Class 55 Deltic - 4mm scale

• RMweb Premium
post-22167-0-81383300-1543173946_thumb.jpg

<Pedant mode on>

Royal Scots Grey is 55 022 not 55 002 ;)

<Pedant  mode off>

Will be going for Royal Scots Grey, Alycidon and KOYLI as these are the 3 I am familiar with in the preservation scene. Deltics having been long gone from BR when I first got into trains.

• RMweb Gold

Disappointed that the spec doesn't include industrial grade smoke generator!

We were going to demonstrate a possible solution at the show this afternoon, but unfortunately our designer-in-chief ran out of Rizlas at lunchtime... :)

Edited by Patrick
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

The announcement by Accurascale that they are to produce an OO Scale Class 55 ‘Deltic’ locomotive has enabled Locomotion models, Rails Limited and The Deltic Preservation Society to work together to announce a range of exclusive models that will be jointly marketed by all three organisations.[/size]

These models are expected to be released in late 2019 and were announced earlier today at the Warley National Model Railway Exhibition.[/size]The following versions will be produced;[/size]1 – [/size]55015 ‘Tulyar’ in 1980’s BR blue livery with the distinctive Finsbury park white cab (Era 7)[/size]2 – [/size]D9019 ‘Royal Highland Fusilier’ BR two tone green as running post 1965 (Era 5)[/size]3 – D9009 ‘Alycidon’ in BR blue livery with pre-TOPS number for mainline running, high-intensity headlight, GPS pods, etc. as currently operating on the main line (Era 9)[/size]4 - D9002 ‘Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry’ in two tone green livery as currently preserved and running on the National Network (Era 9).[/size]5 - D9002 ‘Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry’ in two tone green 1980 with full yellow ends as repainted for its final thirteen months in traffic before withdrawal on 31st December 1981. The repaint into its colours was paid for with the aid of a grant from the Friends of the National Railway Museum (Era 7).[/size]6 - D9008 ‘The Green Howards’ in ex-works green livery without yellow warning panel and without name as delivered in July 1961. Central BR Totem, plain sides. no vents etc (optional name plates will be provided in the box to be affixed if required) The locomotive was not named until 30th September 1963. (Era 5)[/size]

CLICK HERE FOR MORE DETAILS

Well, that’s me ordering D9009, just got to save the pennies for it.......

• Like 1

May I ask, was this a personal choice (one or more of you having a personal liking for the machines) or was it a hard headed business decision (as before you announced them I would never have guessed, but so many people seem to be drooling over the choice !).

Well done either way.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hmmmmmmm,

might have to be Ballymoss with FP white windows. Would prefer Meld in this variant. This is how I remember them as a 14 year old on Grantham Station. The 2nd Radius claim will be interesting to see how they compromise the wheel size/ride height.......

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Will it come with a Zontar add on pack?

But seriously, that's a great choice of prototype and the initial results look very, very good.

Ralph

Lambton58

He’s made his comeback at the right time, must’ve sensed something. I’ll be damned if I’m measuring or scanning him though!

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

May I ask, was this a personal choice (one or more of you having a personal liking for the machines) or was it a hard headed business decision (as before you announced them I would never have guessed, but so many people seem to be drooling over the choice !).

Well done either way.

Hi Phil,

It was a little from column A, and a little from column B. We are big fans of them and it also felt like a model that we could really go to town with detail wise As well as really put Accurascale on the map. In many ways from a business POV it was a no brainer.

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

He’s made his comeback at the right time, must’ve sensed something. I’ll be damned if I’m measuring or scanning him though!

B#¥@×♤%&%!@¥!!*@ #^*@& - he has an' all. Not linking to it here though, cos I doubt it'll be b8@$%* permanent.

signed

A. Clanger

King Radweld of Ford Anglia

• Like 1

D9009 and D9002 duly ordered! My favourites of the class and the only two i’ve seen run, in the exact condition in which i’ve seen them run.

Looks like now is the time to ditch your Bachmann Deltics - shifted my 55002 within about 2 minutes of listing it, not as much luck with D9008 yet though.

I’m amazed by the engine room detailing and lighting and I’m really looking forward to seeing how the cab detailing and lighting is pulled off as, together with the shape / detailing on the nose those are the main things that have drawn me in. Really looking forward to a correctly proportioned cab windowscreen too as I find that to be the worst point of the Bachmann 55 (ride height was fairly easily fixable)

I remember seeing Gordon in Porterbrook purple stuffed behind the erecting shop at Donny on the open day in 2003, and although I wouldn’t buy it in purple, if for a further run you considered doing Gordon in TTG but still with the wipacs (circa 2005/6) I’d be very tempted.

Cheers,

Edited by 60800

I'd suspect a big part of it would be that it's a test print of parts, but it could also be the "Deltic problem" rearing it's head again and the expectation that it will go around R2 curves. At some point in the process, there has to be a compromise on the bogies and wheels with a RTR Deltic.

The best solution so far was Heljan's DP2. Bachmann made their 55 sit too high on the bogies, with DP1, they gave it smaller wheels. Heljan gave it scale wheels and height but the bogies are too narrow. I don't believe for one second these professionel guys are going to opt for mis-algned axles. I'm sure Heljans solution with correct width bogies and fine scale wheels will work fine here.

This is critical to me.

For my money, Bachmann got it completely right in this area on their production Deltic model. Scale diameter wheels and raised the scale body above the bogies to get the model around R2: thus avoiding the leading wheelsets tops machining their way through the bodysides. Their mechanism design offers an easy route for the modeller with larger radius curves on the layout to drop the ride height to scale. But this does require a minimum radius of about 30" in OO. (The EM and P4 modellers are in the same boat and will accept the large radius requirement, but will expect the model to look right.)

I rather regret that the otherwise exemplary NRM/Bachmann DP1 model went the small wheel compromise route, and may yet fiddle around with fixing this - when I get around to it.

Heljan's solution on DP2 is the worst of all worlds. By the compromise of distorting the body shell in planform the wheel tops don't foul. But it is a poor model as a result, failing in the first essential of looking like the prototype, and despite generally much liking their product, I have not purchased.

In summary, I commend to Accurascale's attention Bachmann's solution. Make the compromise of raising the body over the bogies for R2 capability, with a path to correct ride height for those with larger curve radii.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

This has made my year! I’m so pleased and I can now get rid of the dreadful Bachmann efforts! The chassis on them have warped amongst other problems, so into the dustbin they will be going - I’ll probably keep the motors, etc., I can’t wait for these lovely new models, and will simply purchase as many as I can afford. Thankfully I’ve just come into some money so can afford a fair few of them.

Thank you, Accurascale for announcing what will be the definitive Deltic which will see me through the rest of my life. I’m just so happy right now.

Very best regards,

Rob.

Meanwhile in sunny Beverley......

post-7252-0-69337700-1543234301.jpg

....or maybe this little chap can bob round?

Ian

(edit: this post should've come with a health warning)

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks very much for producing a top end Deltic model.

I only have one problem with this, I cant make my mind up which one to get :-)

I never saw them in my BR Blue spotting days as I lived next to the WCML.

But having a BR Blue fixation I just have to add one of these beasts to my collection, with sound...be rude not to.

So far narrowed it down to a TOPs numbered version.

Is it possible to see the nose end plan pictures along with the existing side views?

Thanks again

Garry

• Like 1

<Pedant mode on>

Royal Scots Grey is 55 022 not 55 002 ;)

<Pedant  mode off>

Will be going for Royal Scots Grey, Alycidon and KOYLI as these are the 3 I am familiar with in the preservation scene. Deltics having been long gone from BR when I first got into trains.

Shame you missed it.

Napier power on full chat on a KX non - stopper middle road at Donny :D

(1978)

Ian

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Shame you missed it.

Napier power on full chat on a KX non - stopper middle road at Donny :D

(1978)

Ian

You can always go back in time to 1981..

https://youtu.be/NgObFUpxL20

But if that doesn’t cut it, go forwards to the exact same spot on Doncaster station last year.,

https://youtu.be/GryCa5eJIp4

Thing I find with Deltics, is standing next to them, you don’t appreciate the drone noise as much as being further back... turn up the volume, close your eyes and start this video at 2m52 seconds in... and you’ll see what i mean...

https://youtu.be/zjm6mm56-aI

My Deltic memories are 5 places, Doncaster, York and Newcastle on trainspotting trips with my dad as a kid... the other was the very end.. Manchester Victoria on the last winter days, and finally seeing them on Doncaster works scrapline, at the 1982 open day, not able to comprehend why they were now there.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Thing is everyone has a camera, even the driver...

Here’s D9000 from the cab through Doncaster in preservation..

But if the 1st Deltic isnt enough, here’s a cab ride with the Prototype Deltic, from 1955, also heading to Doncaster..

• Like 4