KRModels announce a GT3 Model

micklner

• RMweb Premium
On 05/02/2019 at 09:44, cctransuk said:

It astounds me that this misinformation is still quoted nearly sixty years after it was (unfortunately) published.

A quick check of a diagram of GT3, when compared with those of the BR Standard Classes, will quickly reveal that the axle spacing matches none of them.

In fact, when I was trying to find an RTR chassis to put in my own model of GT3, the only chassis that even vaguely matched was a GWR Manor.

887654851_GT3framesonManordrawing-smallextract.JPG.2b020aa3c5a147e26235b9a3c0e8b024.JPG

As requested much earlier in this thread, please can we put this myth to bed once and for all?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I read that article first time around!

Wikipedia these days clearly states that it had a "bespoke" set of frames designed specifically for it.

Even the driving wheels, although steam loco in pattern, appear to be unique

12 hours ago, Philou said:

Well done Sherlock ...... IF, if it is DJM, I'll be happier with that thought rather than just having been stitched up like a kipper !!

Cheers,

Philip

PS: I tried to compare the recent photo of DJ on the APT thread with KR above - though similar, I'm not sure they are the one and the same person.

The photo on this thread is not Dave Jones of DJM.

i think the suggestion was that the design / manufacturer / intermediary could be DJM not that KRModels were a front for Dave.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

They are not dealing with a 3rd party. They are dealing directly with the factory themselves 

The problem is we don't know who "they" are or the factory they are dealing with.

If they had started out with something easier and cheaper such as a wagon and delivered, then I would possibly be interested. Just look at what the lads at Accurascale have done over the last few years. Would I order from them? Yes. They started out small with wagons and gained a reputation.

DJ Models has a track record over the years. He's not an unknown to many of us. Would I order from him? Yes. Some of the models have had "issues" but we know he's legit.

A company or individual with no track record wanting £180....

He may be totally legitimate and be as honest as the day is long. He might make the best model imaginable. But personally I'm not willing to take that risk unless I saw something tangible.

Jason

5 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

The problem is we don't know who "they" are or the factory they are dealing with.

If they had started out with something easier and cheaper such as a wagon and delivered, then I would possibly be interested. Just look at what the lads at Accurascale have done over the last few years. Would I order from them? Yes. They started out small with wagons and gained a reputation.

DJ Models has a track record over the years. He's not an unknown to many of us. Would I order from him? Yes. Some of the models have had "issues" but we know he's legit.

A company or individual with no track record wanting £180....

He may be totally legitimate and be as honest as the day is long. He might make the best model imaginable. But personally I'm not willing to take that risk unless I saw something tangible

Jason

Hi Jason

I am thinking the same . A few thoughts
The factory is in China .name dosnt mater as it would mean nothing . Nearly ever one use China .
Start a company pick a subject gecrowd funding ,send all the data you have to China and they do all the work . Hopful at the end you have some models. If you dont fold the company . Thats were the problem is .
If this guy is in Canada that would be a big problem ,No come back what so ever.
What worries me more is his photo is on a Truck web site an MS website . Ok he could be a trucker collecting for charity MS and is a modler in his spare time ,
I have to agree I am intrested but need way more info. Amassed how many people part with there money so easily.

John

Edited by AY Mod
Libellous suggestion removed
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

To be honest, the one thing I don't see as raising a red flag is the suggestion that the proprietor of this company raises funds for an MS charity. That is commendable IMO.

39 minutes ago, oleander said:

It seems that the page in the link has been removed? One has to ask the question, bad link or done deliberate to throw everyone off the scent.

I would love to commit to one in N gauge but from what I read in his email, this will not happen yet, for reasons undisclosed. 

9 hours ago, Shiney Sheff said:

It seems that the page in the link has been removed? One has to ask the question, bad link or done deliberate to throw everyone off the scent.

I would love to commit to one in N gauge but from what I read in his email, this will not happen yet, for reasons undisclosed. 

The Link is to his own Face book page . It would seam Keith revell has a reasional size digtal footprint. from there you can decide on what you think. It does show that he is in Canada or was there on 21st feb .On his web site Kr models which does has a UK tag .co.uk and not a Candaina .CA tag. The Face book page of KR models shows no address but would leave one to belive it is in the UK.  I find it odd he not mentioned he lives and works in Canada. Before any one gos off on one I have nothing against Canada or some one from overseas doing a UK modeling project.
I would like to own this loco, but some thing seams odd. I was just sharring some of the finds that come up on google  of Keith revell of Canada that owns KR models .

• RMweb Gold

Being in another country does present a few problems, such as how are the models to be distributed ?

Are they to head to Canada first then be repacked individually for the UK. If they are, would you be paying 2 lots of import duty. China to Canada then Canada to the UK. Is there to be a UK distributor to overcome issues such as this as it's most likely that the majority of sales would be destined for the UK.

1 minute ago, chris p bacon said:

Being in another country does present a few problems, such as how are the models to be distributed ?

Are they to head to Canada first then be repacked individually for the UK. If they are, would you be paying 2 lots of import duty. China to Canada then Canada to the UK. Is there to be a UK distributor to overcome issues such as this as it's most likely that the majority of sales would be destined for the UK.

A few pointis I see.  Yes the obious one is HMRC.  If it is sent from Canada or China it would be subject to importax, then Vat on the shipping ,product and import tax plus the £12 or £8 fee from parcel farse .
The one that worries me more is the final amount . China deals in US $ he lives in Canada were you have canada $ and we are in the UK. With march the 29th just around the corner the pound at the moment is very volitaile .  I worry about a drop of 10% to 20% in the pound how would that effect the final price .
A pointed out previousl all UK consumer proctection becomes nul and void , amount of less that £100 on credit cards are not protected. Not sure if amounts over are protected for over seas purches .
Then spares parts etc .

• RMweb Gold
Just now, AY Mod said:

Import duties are zero on toys, VAT applies where appropriate.

Thanks Andy, I didn't realise it was zero.   Although the cost of shipping from Canada would still be greater than from a UK distributor. 

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, oleander said:

The one that worries me more is the final amount . China deals in US $ he lives in Canada were you have canada $ and we are in the UK. With march the 29th just around the corner the pound at the moment is very volitaile .  I worry about a drop of 10% to 20% in the pound how would that effect the final price .

All currencies are volatile, it's just as likely that the USD will fluctuate with the allegations being made against the Donald.

10 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Import duties are zero on toys, VAT applies where appropriate.

beg to differ . Have brought locos from the US and been stung several times . VAT does apply on trains . Import dutes apply once the the item goes over a certain amount  £150 wrings a bell. its not massive but added.

John

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, oleander said:

beg to differ . Have brought locos from the US and been stung several times . VAT does apply on trains . Import dutes apply once the the item goes over a certain amount  £150 wrings a bell. its not massive but added.

John

See https://www.trade-tariff.service.gov.uk/trade-tariff/commodities/9503003000?currency=EUR&day=2&month=3&year=2019

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• Moderators
51 minutes ago, oleander said:

Then parcel farce added import tax wrongly to my parcel . 

Did they?

Parcel Force (use the correct name please) are charged with collecting import VAT on behalf of HMRC and they levy a handling/collection charge. See https://www.parcelforce.com/help-and-advice/receiving/how-are-customs-fees-calculated

Prospective purchasers should check with a business whether the trading entity is in the UK with VAT included in quoted prices or if the business is outside the UK with VAT on top collected at import.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I’ve bought tons of stuff across the globe,

zero duties on model railways..

however Royal Mail charges £8 as a handling fee + 20% VAT.

so on this model your looking at..

£185

and if it’s being sent to you, from outside the EU (or UK depending on events), you can expect..

£37 VAT

£ 8 Royal Mail handling fee*

So £225, unless the guy behind this venture sets up a UK entity, and receives the goods to it,  ships from it and runs it as a UK business and files UK accounts.

The sound version is £285

so

£57 + £8 = £350

Is the actual cost of shipping included, and where from ? (UK, China , Canada ?) that could run another £20-£50 depending on courier / speed used.

Shipping and VAT is but one of many unclear questions about this venture, and is probably one of the more straight forward questions.

i’m more worried about who’s making it, who’s checking it, who’s designing it and if they are experienced... Brio after all have made millions of nice toy trains, lots of experience and might even have one that looks like GT3 already.

https://www.alza.co.uk/toys/brio-fast-grey-train-with-a-wagon-d5116840.htm

Dont delay only 4 left at this price !!!

Do your due diligence.. I did, it didn’t make me feel more confident with what I found.

start here and look for KRmodels..

http://www.servicealberta.gov.ab.ca/find-if-business-is-licenced.cfm

i couldn’t find it.

*(fedex, dhl, ups all have higher fees).

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 1

Assuming Keith Revel is able to access RMWeb, perhaps he would like to comment to reassure prospective customers of how he intends to conduct his business.

I for one would be grateful as I am holding back providing a deposit until I know more.

• Agree 1

46 minutes ago, paftrain said:

Assuming Keith Revel is able to access RMWeb, perhaps he would like to comment to reassure prospective customers of how he intends to conduct his business.

I for one would be grateful as I am holding back providing a deposit until I know more.

I emailed him a link to the Thread a couple of hours ago so fingers crossed...

• Like 1