Class 101 J15 Locomotive

kirley

Overall she seems to capture the proportions and character of the locomotive.

Oddly enough she seems to have a MGWR pattern solid reversing wheel than the spoked pattern fitted to GSWR locos  :scratchhead: .

The tender spring hangers were probably omitted due to the limitations of the casting process.

The tender spring hangers were probably omitted due to the limitations of the casting process.

Yes. Roderick Bruce confirms that is indeed the case. Perhaps some brass wire could be glued in place. I find the omission draws my eye very annoyingly!

The tender vacuum pipe is evidently just a standard one and the front one was left off due to technical problems. Both the front and rear were unusual on the prototype and could probably be made up and added.

Edited by Floreat Industria

• 2 weeks later...

I have put spring hangers on mine, it really helps.

So the flying snail and cab numbers are different colours is that right?

Yes, indeed. CIE always used pale yellow for painted locomotive numerals, but the "snail" was actually not painted at all - it was the standard transfer that's was put on carriages, road vehicles and buses as well. You will notice that on buses and loco tenders, on one side the logo was "the wrong way round" to point forward. This was only seen on buses and loco tenders, on the "off side".

As interest grows in the CIE "grey'n'green" era, modellers may be interested in a number of livery details, especially where common perceptions are incorrect.

In the early 1990s, when the RPSI had restored J15 184, and DSER 461, they were turned out in black width yellow "snails". This spawned a generation of models (including a re-liveried LMS 0.6.0 tender engine, and the Bachmann K1 class "Woolwich" 2.6.0 with either white or yellow "snails", and in at least one case a white number.

These were entirely incorrect. Firstly, while CIE did start painting some locomotives black in the mid-50s, the vast majority remained grey, and black was confined to some classes only. But the snails were never painted and thus were always light green.

Another common misperceptions is that a chimney and smokebox must always be black. While absolutely the norm worldwide, it wasn't universal. Examples of "non-black" smokeboxes could be seen on several continents, including the one nearest to us.

In Ireland, the GSWR started painting locomotives plain grey between 1915 and 1918. This was believed to have been an economy measure. The entire loco, inside and out, was just plain grey. In a few cases, the cabside might have mid-brown inside the cab, but otherwise grey. Wheels, motion, the lot - grey.

From 1895 to 1915, the GSWR used black lined with red, or black lined red and white.

Roderick has used specially made grey paint for his 00 Works models which was matched with original grey paint on a model made in Inchicore about 1920-5.

After the amalgamation, the GSR continued with the same colour, then CIE did in 1945 too. By 1955, diesels were very much the future and steam was already confined to secondary duties almost everywhere. In the final steam years (1955-63) almost all engines were in a filthy state. And in early colour pictures often look black due to the amount of gunge on them. I will post pictures to illustrate this later.

However, a few locos were repainted even within this period, of many classes. A lot of these were black. But they were short lived, as the dreaded diesels approached and branch lines were closed. As late as 1962, however, at least two locos (both J15s) were repainted grey in Cork, only to be scrapped about a year later.

Hope this is helpful.

I have two of these beauties (and I'm tempted to get a third!).

I will add vacuum bags to the front, wire for the tender brake hangers, and the wheels should be grey so I'll replant these. Both 00 Works and (I believe) Precision Paints can supply the correct GSWR / GSR / CIE locomotive grey.

Unfortunately, while the livery is very versatile (having been in place for almost fifty years! 1915-63), my layout is late 1950s / early 1960s period, so a heavy dose of weathering will be necessary!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The tender spring hangers and tender decals added.

attachicon.gifIMG_5344.JPG

I have put spring hangers on mine, it really helps.

So the flying snail and cab numbers are different colours is that right?

Hi Can either of you two modellers tell how you made the hangers? Is is simply correct diameter wire glues on or did you use some other method?

Thanks

Colin

Hi Can either of you two modellers tell how you made the hangers? Is is simply correct diameter wire glues on or did you use some other method?

Thanks

Colin

Hi Colin,

I removed the springs from the tender which come of easy enough, just put something behind them and lever them out.

Drill a small hole in each end.The springs are white metal so easy done.

I used 0.5 mm wire super glued in. getting the length right is the hard part.

If they are too long they will scratch the grey paint.

Fiddly but doable, it makes a big difference.

• 1 month later...

As I had mine sent straight to my Chippie, I only got her back a couple of weeks ago.

As all my "proper" wagons were in storage (until I lay enough sidings for them) I used the train of eleven bubbles which I had behind my NIR 112. This little engine just romped away with the load - an amusing example of ancient and modern - if they'd survived just a few years, it could have happened in practice!

I must try her on as many bogie coaches!

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Mike 84C said:

Anyone put a sound chip in a J15 yet?  I understand they had a distinctive "soft" chuff. And would like to get mine right!

Mike, check out my Kirley Junction thread, post dated 30th Dec 2018 and let me know what you think.

Hi Kirley, that sounds rather nice! I would like something different 'cos my other sound fitted locos are a bit vocal! I am also going to change the tender springs, the man at Dart castings has nothing to suit but he has a plan so I'm waiting to hear!

• Like 1