LNWR Cauliflower in 2mm finescale

• RMweb Premium

Hello,

This is my model of a Webb 18" Goods or Cauliflower. Its made from a shot-down to 2mm scale London Road etched kit, with a scratchbuilt loco and tender chassis.

post-12813-0-93133400-1546525481_thumb.jpg

post-12813-0-86202200-1546525462_thumb.jpg

post-12813-0-86745500-1546525543_thumb.jpg

post-12813-0-79332200-1546525560_thumb.jpg

post-12813-0-50660300-1546525574_thumb.jpg

The model is finished in it mid 1950's livery, and I believe it was withdrawn from Widnes in 1955. As far as I can make out from 'Baxter', it was still in the round top boiler condition I've modelled when withdrawn. The chimney, dome and safety valves are brass castings.

post-12813-0-79057500-1546525602_thumb.jpg

post-12813-0-86365700-1546525613_thumb.jpg

The u/js are made from slotted brass rod housed inside brass tube, with the wire connection between the two bent up from 10 thou steel wire. I use a less obtrusive version of this now, with etched parts and slimmer tube. You should be able to see this on my entry for a G2.

post-12813-0-70673200-1546525623_thumb.jpg

Note how the top of the extension to the frames for the gearbox housing has been curved inwards to fit inside the top of the firebox. The prototype loco and tender are quote small and fitting the chassis, motor and gearbox in was quite a challenge. 

The loco is powered with a Faulhaber 1016 coreless motor, driving a 30:1 worm gear and 28:1 and 21:1 spur gears. These gears, the wheels and axle muffs are supplied by the Two Millimetre Scale Association. I've also fitted a CT Elektronic decoder, a DCX75 I think. Eventually I will replace it with a DCX76.

Nig H

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Hi Nigel how did you do the gearbox

Hi John,

This is a pic of the gearbox for a Princess Royal. Its the same idea for the Cauli, the box is screwed inside the spacer between the frames with shim between the two to get the meshing right. Inside the box is a worm on 1.5mm axle steel, the rear end extending to the u/j, as can be seen. For the Cauli, the spacer has been angled in on both sides towards the top, otherwise it was too wide to fit in the firebox.

post-12813-0-98423100-1546687611_thumb.jpg

Nig H

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone know if the etch that Nick at N brass has is the shot down London Road one. The Shropshire and Montgomeryshire had one of these, I have an idea that the Colenal may have also acquired one for the North Somerset Light - perfect for all that coal traffic......!

Jerry

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jerry,

Are you sure it was a cauliflower the S&M had?

These were relatively modern engines.

I thoughtfully they had DXs or Coal Engines?

Happy to stand corrected

I think you are correct..........mind the NSLR may still acquire one!

Jerry

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I emailed Nick Tilson of N Brass and he very kindly got back to me with the following information regarding the Cauliflower etch. It sounds as though the etch is a bit big like the 3F.

Hi Jerry.

Thank you for your enquiry.

The Cauliflower etch has on it Connoisseurs Choice Geo Norton 1986.  As far as I can tell it has the same variation in dimensions as the MR 3F.

Refering to Illustrated History of LNWR Engines, pages 66 and 67, (note the drawings are not scaled correctly for 4mm) comparing quoted dimensions.

Etch Cab width (not adding thickness of cab sides) is 13mm, dimension says 6' 1".

Etch Buffer beam width 16mm, dimensions says 7' 6".

Etch Footplate length (not reducing for curvature over wheels) 52.75,  drawing measures 94.5mm (this is from the drawing on page 66 which I calculate to be half a percent small for 4mm.)

I trust this helps.

Jerry

• RMweb Premium

I would like to be able to get one of theses kits

John

Hello John,

I think I mentioned to you that I got mine from Tim Watson. Did you ask him if he had any left?

Nig H

The George Norton Connoisseur's Choice kits became part of the London Road Models range when George retired. AFAIK John Redrup has granted the 2mm Society permission to shoot down several etches over a period, but generally wasn't involved in producing/selling them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi Nigel I contacted him but didn't hear back

Hi John,

Tim just let me know he hasn't any left. I don't think the N Brass option is sensible. A shame those shot downs turned out to big - I was after a MR 3F which were also oversize. You could ask in our Mag if anyone has one of Tim's they no longer want.

Nig H

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I just had this email from Nick at N brass. The Cauliflower wheelbase is 7’3” + 8’3” so those dimensions are pretty much spot on which is encouraging. I am hoping to make it to the Basingstoke show at the beginning of March to see Copenhagen Fields so will have a look then.

Hi Jerry.

I now have Cauliflower etches in stock.

Measuring carefully the rods are 14.75 and 16.5mm.

Trust this helps.

Best wishes.
Nick Tilston.

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

Apologies for resurrecting an ancient thread.

Was there any update on the accuracy of the N Brass Cauliflower etch? It was one of the most common locomotives on the CK&PR and I will likely be looking to build a few of them eventually.

Thanks

Mark