TrainController UK price hike

Germany thinks the UK needs them, Merc, BMW, VW, Skoda, etc, kitchen appliances etc, etc.

Germany and France have both looked after themselves in the EU. The two richest nations in the bloc, at the expense of all others I think.

The Germans have more to lose than we do.

Ah. I love this argument. Always makes me chuckle. Reminds me of this quote:

Carlo Calenda, an Italian economics minister, said it was insulting that Boris Johnson had told him during a recent meeting that Italy would grant Britain access to the EU’s single market “because you don’t want to lose prosecco exports”.

“He basically said: ‘I don’t want free movement of people but I want the single market,’” he told Bloomberg. “I said: ‘No way.’ He said: ‘You’ll sell less prosecco.’ I said: ‘OK, you’ll sell less fish and chips, but I’ll sell less prosecco to one country and you’ll sell less to 27 countries.’ ”

• Agree 1

So basically he's saying nothing changes, by the way your contract is with Shareit so if anything goes wrong call them.

You contract would be with Freiwald as the seller, Shareit s mereley facilitating the payment and regulatory processes: if you pay be PayPal your contact isn’t with PayPal, nor if you use a Debit card is the contract with the bank, the same applies for Credit cards.

As said by Keith - this is actually the same as it is today albeit using another company to facilitate the payment from the same Dogital River stable.

So basically he's saying nothing changes, by the way your contract is with Shareit so if anything goes wrong call them.

You contract would be with Freiwald as the seller, Shareit s mereley facilitating the payment and regulatory processes: if you pay be PayPal your contact isn’t with PayPal, nor if you use a Debit card is the contract with the bank, the same applies for Credit cards.

As said by Keith - this is actually the same as it is today albeit using another company to facilitate the payment from the same Dogital River stable.

• RMweb Premium

It all seems very confused with the vendor sounding to be a bit clueless and making statements based on emotion and his political views. The FAQ still includes this:

How does the purchase of products from Freiwald Software via this external service provider work?
In the process itself, there are not much changes for you as a buyer. You can put all desired items in our web shop in the shopping cart as before. At the end of the purchase process you do not pay directly to us, but you are automatically directed to a form of the external service provider and conclude the purchase process there. You make the payment to this service provider. This service provider is officially your seller in this process.

He is clearly of the opinion that while the process of buying will be basically the same, you will be buying from a reseller, not him. That means if things go wrong or he throws another tantrum he is may well wash his hands and point you to the reseller.

I have bought, and still buy, many software items where Digital River handle the processing and electronic supply of the item and it is an excellent service as I am able to return to that transaction to access the licence keys often many years after the original transaction.

The main company that I deal with in this respect is Microsoft and the terms of the sale are very clear in showing the the licence is between myself and Microsoft.

You should be very aware that as with all consumer and much commercial software you are buying a licence to use the product only, you never own the product only the licence to use and it is that licence that is issued by the seller i.e Freiwald and you are obliged to remain within the terms of the licence for the continued rights to use the software.

I guess what you would need to do is read the terms of the licence as to what support you are entitled to as part of the licence you purchase.

My Big Big Rail software is produced by me, here in Scotland, and I will never abandon my home market and prices have been the same for 10 years and free if you run just two locos. www.bigbearrail.com (unapologetic plug ;0)

Not quite in the same league though is it?

I have bought, and still buy, many software items where Digital River handle the processing and electronic supply of the item and it is an excellent service as I am able to return to that transaction to access the licence keys often many years after the original transaction.

The main company that I deal with in this respect is Microsoft and the terms of the sale are very clear in showing the the licence is between myself and Microsoft.

You should be very aware that as with all consumer and much commercial software you are buying a licence to use the product only, you never own the product only the licence to use and it is that licence that is issued by the seller i.e Freiwald and you are obliged to remain within the terms of the licence for the continued rights to use the software.

I guess what you would need to do is read the terms of the licence as to what support you are entitled to as part of the licence you purchase.

I think the following makes freiwald position clear

":arrow: Is there a replacement for direct sales?

From 2019 and for a certain transitional period, an external service provider will be charged with the handling of sales to UK. This service provider will be also formally the seller of our software to users in the UK. All obligations in connection with sales to the UK are handled by this service provider.

I don’t have an issue with that, this relates to the selling and buying process, not the continued use or support of the software :)

I don’t have an issue with that, this relates to the selling and buying process, not the continued use or support of the software :)

Not quite in the same league though is it?

Quite right, Train Controller is the Merc of the DCC software world I agree. However, it's not the only the fish in the sea and for those that don't require all of the features, there are other systems available of which Big Bear is one of them. There are exhibition layouts that find my system more than adequate for their needs, notably Mauch Chunk, featured in July Hornby Magazine in an article by Steve Hales. So yup Train Controller is the system to aspire to, but it's not the be all and end all, and with support, there is no reason why BB could not acquire the sophistication of TC, for one it has a developer responsive to the needs of its customers.

Andy

I have spoken with Xander and he has clarified that he only permits people who have applied for a trial licence or have identifiable email addresses as forum members. He has explained that he is not being difficult, he just wants to ensure that the forum is used by people with a genuine interest in iTrain and this is the way he has chosen to keep it focussed.

He has also said that if you email itrain@berros.eu directly then he will happily converse with you :)

Hope this helps

• Like 1

Andy

I have spoken with Xander and he has clarified that he only permits people who have applied for a trial licence or have identifiable email addresses as forum members. He has explained that he is not being difficult, he just wants to ensure that the forum is used by people with a genuine interest in iTrain and this is the way he has chosen to keep it focussed.

He has also said that if you email itrain@berros.eu directly then he will happily converse with you :)

Hope this helps

Thanks Iain

Some years ago I watched several interesting videos posted on YouTube by a chap who promotes this system http://www.gppsoftware.com/ViewProd.aspx?P=41582C2324262825......

I played around with a trial version many years ago, before it included loco control, and was quite impressed. It took a bit of time to get the interlocking right, but did have some benefits. But the trial period expired, and shoetly afterwards I bought an ECoS and so didn't investigate the posdibilities further as I no longer had a need for it.

• RMweb Premium

I think one of Herr Freiwald's problems is that he keeps everything (too) close to him.

He is the Administrator, A Moderator & The Global Moderator of the Forum, there is one other Moderator.

He also answers most of the technical questions. The other Moderator has only been on the forum 8 times in 8 years!

IMHO it would be better if he stood back a little and had a "team" to share the responsibilities.

Keith

Price increase to UK customers seems to be primarily a response to increasing scrutiny of e-commerce transactions by governments internationally and uncertainty over whether the UK intends to remain within the EU Customs Union or go it alone from the 29th March

Internationally Governments are under increasing pressure as a result of a combination of the loss of  tax revenue from the effects of on-line sales.

There appears to be increasing pressure on exporters,( who sell direct to overseas customers rather than through an agent) to register for with the local tax authorities. 

Using Digital River as a platform for international transactions adds to the cost, but appears to be a lot simpler for the vendor than having to register for the local goods and sales & purchase taxes in the countries where you export.

Herr Freiwald singled out the UK for the use of an agent, he also said it would be reviewed after 12 months.

Basically waiting to see if the UK is in EU or out.

Digital River is a recognised platform as an agent, they have a good name and have been around for years. But Herr Freiwald has also said, from what I read earlier in the month, all support and questions will be through them! What knowledge have they got of the system? How easy will it be to contact them and get answers? 

TC users will no doubt end up getting more help on the forums, not the help they thought they were paying for. I think. 

There appears to be increasing pressure on exporters,( who sell direct to overseas customers rather than through an agent) to register for with the local tax authorities. 

It has been the case for a long time that if your supplies to an EU country are above the local VAT registration threshold in a 12 month period then you must register for VAT in that country.

• RMweb Premium

Digital River is a recognised platform as an agent, they have a good name and have been around for years. But Herr Freiwald has also said, from what I read earlier in the month, all support and questions will be through them! What knowledge have they got of the system? How easy will it be to contact them and get answers? 

TC users will no doubt end up getting more help on the forums, not the help they thought they were paying for. I think. 

Will anything really change?

Most help comes from the Forum now.

The only difference I can see that problems with faulty devices will have to be taken up with D R whereas at present it is Freiwald Co.

Keith

It has been the case for a long time that if your supplies to an EU country are above the local VAT registration threshold in a 12 month period then you must register for VAT in that country.

Yes , but only from the last year or so , in relation to digital sales , ie where no physical product is shipped , require you to compute the vat of the country of destination and not the country of origin ( which is the case for physical sales , below a certain annual threshold )

Most tax authorities have set up “ one stop VAT “ portals tha5 allow business to make the relevant VAT payments in their own country , but the tax authorities then transfer the vat internally to the respective countries , hence within the EU you have the extra issue of computing dfferent VAT rates but you make the vat payments to your own revenue service

It applies to USA countries selling in Europe too

By the way , like many many of the EU rules , the UK was a huge lobbyist and instigator for this digital tax to be implemented in the EU ( the uk by the way voted for 97% of all EU legislation in the last 10 years , abstained on 3% and voted against 2%)

Edited by Junctionmad

Mr Friewald... Er wird ernten, was er sät [Will reap what he sows!]

Germany thinks the UK needs them, Merc, BMW, VW, Skoda, etc, kitchen appliances etc, etc.

Germany and France have both looked after themselves in the EU. The two richest nations in the bloc, at the expense of all others I think.

The Germans have more to lose than we do.

That said it is not an easy decision or situation for all those that have purchased TrainController.

I am going with iTrain.

Mrs May needs you to renegotiate that dastardly deal , sally forth