Class 25 photos

• RMweb Gold

The reason I love Rats!

Spent many happy hours as a nipper at Bletchley in the late 1970's surrounded by the constant comings and goings of these little fella's (25173 was my favourite of all).

post-4388-0-29488300-1547198757_thumb.jpg

Edited by 08221
  • Like 16

• RMweb Gold

In the beginning.....................

Four Class 25s being constructed at Darlington Works on 21st July 1963

Left to Right: D5229 (25079), D5226 (25076), D5227 (25077), D5226 (25076).

My friend can be seen lurking in the gangway door of D5226 :)

attachicon.gifDA002_10_20171211_0010_800_wm.jpg

I like the use of the Head Codes!

Kev.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I recently discovered that I have quite a collection of Class 25 photos from the 1980s and was surprised to find that here on RMWeb there isn't a dedicated thread for this, once numerous class of BR diesel locos.

I've always had a fondness for 25s and they seem to be popular with modellers. Indeed, Bachmann have announced a re-tooled 25/1 and Heljan have announced a new 00 25/3.

I would like to invite all to join in with their own photos including preserved examples.

Mel, Thank you for starting what has turned out to be a great thread on the Class 25's

I have fond memories of seeing D7575 at Marylebone Station 18/04/1964 when it worked the Empty Stock off of a Railtour Hauled by 4472 Flying Scotsman.

I used to see plenty of Class 25's at Bletchley in the early 80's until they were replaced by Class 31's, happy days.

I'll have to see if I have any Class 25 images worth sharing.
Edited by Pannier Tank

25076?or is it 078?Approaches Midland Junction Box on the Kenton Cement(from),not sure of the destination.The Train is about to go right at the Junction over the West Coast mainline to Abbey Junction.

The Ketton Cement train that went through Leicester and Nuneaton was I think to Castle Bromwich in Birmingham. At least there's a Ketton terminal marked there on my 1984 Baker atlas.

Edited by eastwestdivide

25076?or is it 078?Approaches Midland Junction Box on the Kenton Cement(from),not sure of the destination.The Train is about to go right at the Junction over the West Coast mainline to Abbey Junction.

If you hadn't said where that was I'd never have guessed despite signing the road! Lots of vegetation on both sides of the line there now. I remember further east seeing eight 25s lined up at Croft Sidings one Sunday morning in 1981, not sure why they'd been dumped there but it was quite unusual even then.

• RMweb Gold

Cant believe this was around 40 years ago....I can still hear the wonderful sulzer thrash and remember the accompanying wheel spin as a load 10 Llandudno - Nottingham train is restarted from Crewe....

post-7138-0-50464600-1547226269_thumb.jpg

Phil

• Like 15

My 25's are here https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/class2425 I won't apologise for the inclusion of the 24s - including a few from my teenage.  I got to like them, although the dominance of 24s on ECS at both Euston and Kings X could be boring in the early 60s. The broad band two tone green livery was very nice - as it was on the 47s. Disappointing that they went before the liberation from the boringly blue years.

Paul

Edited by hmrspaul
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

25007 (& probably 25006 beyond) on the scrap line at Swindon Works open day 6th June 1981. Details of loco history at https://www.derbysulzers.com/5157.html

attachicon.gifimg005.jpg

Notice the colour of the roof panel.

That is a fibreglass roof panel. The translucent nature of it improved lighting levels in the engine room enormously.