Blog- Fen End Pit's Blog - Stour valley dream - fiddleyard cassette shelf and more work on J20 tender

As today wasn't too cold I managed to get out to the laser-cutter and cut the the two sheets of ply needed to make the cassette shelf for the fiddle-yard. This is a single board nearly 6 feet long which is held on the wall by some ply brackets. The shelf is now on the wall and I am really happy with the result.

I also managed to get the point to my fictitious 'mill siding' laid. I've used the new Peco bull-head rail joiners to join the point to the plain track here and they are excellent for joining rails on a curve. I'm wondering about revisiting the layout of the trackwork in the mill siding, I'm trying to balance not squeezing too much in with the desire for a wagon turntable and/or a headshunt to allow for a tiny industrial loco (I've got both a Barclay fireless and a Ruston 48DS which it would be fun to run).

I did a bit more work on the J20 tender, I was struggling getting the front of the tender as clean as the rest because there is no way to hide the soldering inside. I put the tender behind my D16/3 which used the same tender and realized that actually most of the area is hidden under the cab roof and you just can't see it. I think a coat of 'Stratford special black' will cover a multitude of sins.

So the next jobs is to cut the little 'corner board' which sits between the mill board and fiddle-yard, this board is about 2' along each side and just has the single line of the main line on it. I also need to mark and cut the cork for this and the mill board. So back to TurboCAD for more drawings or maybe I'll get distracted by that tender again...

David

Attached thumbnail(s)
  • blogentry-7212-0-76254100-1546987271_thu
  • blogentry-7212-0-56875800-1546987283_thu
  • blogentry-7212-0-31596100-1546987298_thu
  • blogentry-7212-0-80630900-1546987309_thu

View the full article