Phoenix Yard (Including related builds and stock mods etc.)

• RMweb Gold

For photo - see following post. (revised whilst image(s) being reloaded post site crash.)

Although at face value a picture of my desk appears to have no model railway relevance by expanding it with the drop down shelf I have swung the PC through 90deg. This means I can bring the layout out of storage to sit in the old desk area and also use some of the newly freed up space for a modelling/crafting space. Too cold in the winter to model outdoors on the garden table.

Update (1): Sat 5th, shifting all the necessary stuff around is not yet complete but is sufficiently advanced that I do now have the PC back up and running together with the new, modelling space.

Update (2): Tue 8th, the layout is now in the house in the place where the computer had been but the power box etc., is not yet connected. Still far too much accumulated clutter though all over everywhere to show a photo of the final outcome of the move. Good progress overall though, despite the putting away phase still being ongoing. An awful lot of c**p and other paperwork has already gone into the recycling bin with a lot more still to be sifted through and binned.

Edited by john new
Revised note.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

169805043_IMG_1343desketcreducedsize.jpg.d5024fc08e45e3b8aa82544fa56583f2.jpg

On 30/01/2022 at 19:25, john new said:

Although at face value this picture of my desk appears to have no model railway relevance by expanding it with the drop down shelf I have swung the PC through 90deg. This means I can bring the layout out of storage to sit in the old desk area and also use some of the newly freed up space for a modelling/crafting space. Too cold in the winter to model outdoors on the garden table.

Update (1): Sat 5th, shifting all the necessary stuff around is not yet complete but is sufficiently advanced that I do now have the PC back up and running together with the new, modelling space.

Update (2): Tue 8th, the layout is now in the house in the place where the computer had been but the power box etc., is not yet connected. Still far too much accumulated clutter though all over everywhere to show a photo of the final outcome of the move. Good progress overall though, despite the putting away phase still being ongoing. An awful lot of c**p and other paperwork has already gone into the recycling bin with a lot more still to be sifted through and binned.

... original photo snipped ...

Significant progress made on the desk/office/hobby area rejig. I guess now around 80% done, with what is left still to do the sifting through the accumulation of the last 10 years or so and either slinging or finding a filing/storage space for it.
Both objectives, (1) the better desk layout and (2) a warm indoor hobby/crafting space completed. The bonus, legs nearer the radiator so warmer.

Updated 17th Mar: last construction job completed yesterday, fitting of the bolt to hold the keyboard/mouse shelf vertical when using the crafting side. Still the sifting, sorting and filing to finish though.

Edited by john new
Image(s) reloaded post site crash.
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Progress on loading a timber wagon authentically

This is a project on slow burn due to many clashing activities, with the background so far in various posts in the Wright Writes thread. The Relevant posts in Wright Writes are:-

• Opening question - Posted Feb 13th then edited. ".....  I am thinking of adding a timber plank load to enhance an r-t-r 12T wooden bodied open. I believe the Oxford one to be a general wagon not a minerals wagon. I have looked at p26 of the loading guide at http://www.barrowmoremrg.co.uk/BRBDocuments/Booklet_BR20426_Issue.pdf so can see how to rope it. What I can’t find anywhere on line is a guide to what a standard length of timber would be likely to be when going from sawmill to builders depot. Were there standard widths, thicknesses and lengths? "
  • Follow up notes on timber lengths etc., based on evidence from Hull Docks. Update of 12th February.
  • Follow up info' re how it came into Hull & Goole Posted Feb 15th.
  • Some calculations from a photo of a vessel being unloaded at Hull; also posted on 15th February
  • Notes on how I got to the WIP photo below - Update as of today 13 March It shows various plank lengths loaded (hopefully) in accordance with the relevant BR loading book. 

1476120347_croppedIMG_1350.jpg.ae306f43f00089e1002e3503c638b8f9.jpg

NB Since the above a 2nd wagon ordered as the few prototype photos I have found have same height wagons as the barrier vehicle. That also makes more operational sense as they would load a string with the one nearest the dock shunter left empty.

Edited by john new
Images reloaded post site crash! Plus extra note.
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Slightly off topic but it is modelling related, working on a 1/200 scale card model of the Rufus Castle ruin; one of the two castles on the Island. I assisted the museum with a beta build of the freebie model so now having a go at the finished version.  The main change from the beta to the finished item is more artwork. Free to download from the Portland Museum site anyone thinking of building it will find  the 360 degree 3D graphic of great assistance.

Top photo - the beta build from a month or so ago. Lower the work in progress; sadly I think I have got the stone work too dark and it probably needs a 2nd print of that sheet. As with any card kit for later painting it is always worth getting a laser print or photocopy onto paper for overlaying to card as ink-jet ink runs. Although the base kit has no detail for the inside walls I plan to add that freehand, including artwork to outline the window/shooting hole arches.

114891118_BetabuildreducedIMG_1337copy.jpg.2378bd90027cefeac37c535e83d5d8e5.jpg

1966677955_WIPonbuild2forinternetIMG_1353copy.jpg.73b9ee75a18564942145f0d57be469a6.jpg

Edited by john new
Images reloaded post site crash!
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

1) A bit more work done on the Rufus Castle model; not sure what the tissue soaked in PVA used as filler will look like when painted. My first use of it as a technique

1005803029_smallerIMG_1385.jpg.c1a400d7cc28e171373b04fd208de451.jpg

441932472_smallerIMG_1368copy.jpg.6a760bb9b5f14be11b49ef1b0d1a9d88.jpg(

(2) I will also be attempting to reload my images to this thread (Completed*) and also the one's about wagons I posted to the Wright Writes thread.

*NB: Andy Y suggests only re-loading back to March 2021 for now as the currently missing older one's may well still be located within the back-ups.

Edited by john new
Updated note (2) above & added 2 x WIP photos.

• RMweb Gold

More progress over the last few days on the Rufus Castle kit. To avoid repeating images etc., see this post in the getting your mojo back thread.

Edit: Images from June 2021 forwards replaced. Awaiting outcome of the site reindexing before revisiting/replacing in older posts.

Edited by john new
Added extra observation

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I finally finished the Rufus Castle kit today. The tale of two castles, the beta build and the second go with basic, old style technique, scenery added is below. Card, cotton wool, pan scourers, glues (Bostik or PVA), water colours (including for dyeing the cotton wool, ground stone, snipped cocktail stick plus a few dressmakers pins is all I have used. 

8B9F39F0-4F11-4726-AAF5-C42CF3AD644F_1_102_o.jpeg

Edited by john new
Photo now added - internet issue resolved.
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

After the excursion into card castle builds I have been getting back to catching up on modelling railways today. First locomotive on to the new DCC Concepts rolling road, a dead 2nd hand Tri-ang BoB Winston Churchill. An appropriate choice as Bullied pacifics were tested on the Rugby plant. This afternoon's investigations have established that the motor will turn under power so the armature is sound but it all needs a lot of cleaning and a light oiling round.* The other, critical fault,  the main pick-up to brush lead has at some point snapped off at the base plate. Never a fan of synchrosmoke (wasn't aware this had it when I bought it in a job-lot) so the unit has been electrically disconnected and the gear wheel and piston unscrewed and removed. Leaving the mazak unit in place though as it is a nice heavy weight. Probably have a go at some of the spotted fixes later this week, need a day when I can concentrate on what will be a fiddly soldering task. A little bit of axle bearing oil and removal of possibly about 50 years of dust from the tender top also done. That was sluggish, now runs acceptably for its age.

As for appearing on this layout it will be a rather fanciful Rule 1, but I did spend my youth spotting Bullieds. 34051 is in the NRM, An NRM engine did run over the DVLR, so ignoring any weight restrictions for the branch it could, just perhaps have had a light load test run out and back down the Foss Islands Branch to Phoenix Yard. 

IMG_1437 Rolling R.jpg

* Updated 11th May - not worth a completely new post but today I have taken the motor out and given it a good clean and cleaned all wheels, including the bogie and pony truck. Also an oiling around of all the axles and motion pins completed, it now free rolls reasonably well.  As I have a new loco to run in Winston C may well get a few laps on the oval test track, sans motor, to get the chassis really running freely before reassembly with the motor re fixed and the worm engaged.

2nd update - 12th May.

No time to set up the test oval. Winston Churchill now a "live" engine and running fairly well on the rollers.

Edited by john new
Progress update and video added.
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Finally got time to get out the oval test track and give the DVLR Jim a running in session. Also pulling some new to me 2nd hand wagons, the H&B van will be repainted from the Tri-ang Hornby silly Birds-Eye livery to something prototypically correct. It may or not get the correct chassis swap.

Edited by john new
Typo corrected
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 13/03/2022 at 14:12, john new said:

Progress on loading a timber wagon authentically

This is a project on slow burn due to many clashing activities, with the background so far in various posts in the Wright Writes thread. The Relevant posts in Wright Writes are:-

• Opening question - Posted Feb 13th then edited. ".....  I am thinking of adding a timber plank load to enhance an r-t-r 12T wooden bodied open. I believe the Oxford one to be a general wagon not a minerals wagon. I have looked at p26 of the loading guide at http://www.barrowmoremrg.co.uk/BRBDocuments/Booklet_BR20426_Issue.pdf so can see how to rope it. What I can’t find anywhere on line is a guide to what a standard length of timber would be likely to be when going from sawmill to builders depot. Were there standard widths, thicknesses and lengths? "
  • Follow up notes on timber lengths etc., based on evidence from Hull Docks. Update of 12th February.
  • Follow up info' re how it came into Hull & Goole Posted Feb 15th.
  • Some calculations from a photo of a vessel being unloaded at Hull; also posted on 15th February
  • Notes on how I got to the WIP photo below - Update as of today 13 March It shows various plank lengths loaded (hopefully) in accordance with the relevant BR loading book. 

1476120347_croppedIMG_1350.jpg.ae306f43f00089e1002e3503c638b8f9.jpg

NB Since the above a 2nd wagon ordered as the few prototype photos I have found have same height wagons as the barrier vehicle. That also makes more operational sense as they would load a string with the one nearest the dock shunter left empty.

This photo identified as Windsor Street, Birmingham, Goods Yard circa 1903* shows that the wagons with planked timber were loaded with varying lengths and sheeted within the length of the wagon but had no sheeting over their overhanging end. Trunk timbers were unsheeted. That is at odds with a 1963 BFI film of Hull Docks  showing a train load of plank timber leaving Hull Docks unsheeted (See circa 12 mins in), however, the destination of that train isn't stated so may have only been a very short haul trip within the Hull area.

See also the image in this link - Wright Writes 28 Sep 2022.

My own feeling is that custom and practice would indicate the loading styles staying fairy constant over time.

NB Only links given for copyright considerations.

* Link now updated - thank you @Compound2632

Edited by john new
Link to first image updated & text revised.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Some Sprat & Winkle links to items I want to be able to find/rewatch therefore posted so that I can find them again when I get around to actually making a batch for my own use! NB Probably a work in progress post I will come back to and edit in more links.

Mullie's Sprat & Winkle jig,

A YouTube tutorial and a 2nd one from same modeller

Ask Phil on World of Railways

Edited by john new

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Progress on the layout may be slow but my wife and I were at the Weymouth show over this weekend with a combined SLS sales stand and weathering workshop. Between the customers we got six vehicles weathered from scratch plus another couple finished off. 

D4E1BD12-5556-4316-8F2E-4467DD2B1678_1_105_c.jpeg.29052690e848cca04cdd9b2bd5e8e97e.jpeg

Edited by john new
Repositioned the photo below the text.
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

A few more of my lost images reinstated tonight. I am sure all my images will be stored on one of my hard discs somewhere, however; searching by name is failing so it is a long manual slog to find some of them!

UPDATED 18 Nov 2022 - All photos now reinstated across all contributed to threads other than the one that would have gone back into a, now, locked thread about COVID.  A long slog but worth it.

Edited by john new
Spotted a typo.
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

There may have to be a slight relocation in the location towards the old York Power Station or a minor rejigging of how the power station railway worked. (Or more likely a deferred closure date). A genuine 600v prototype line there with 2 x small electric locos and an electric crane. Reason on visiting the NRM last week my resistance to the new model of the as preserved NER ES loco failed. 

Edited by john new

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Not abandoned but sadly no progress recently on this project as I have had to revert to being Acting Editor for the SLS Journal due to a serious domestic fire at my successor Editor’s home. Kelvyn was physically OK but lost all his IT equipment. Hoping to get back to this soon as I have bought more stock for it!

Edited by john new
Hit send too early.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 30/10/2022 at 18:08, john new said:

Progress on the layout may be slow but my wife and I were at the Weymouth show over this weekend with a combined SLS sales stand and weathering workshop. Between the customers we got six vehicles weathered from scratch plus another couple finished off. 

D4E1BD12-5556-4316-8F2E-4467DD2B1678_1_105_c.jpeg.29052690e848cca04cdd9b2bd5e8e97e.jpeg

Next show demo will be Bridport on Saturday 29th July. I've been sorting through the various wagons in my as yet unweathered collection ready for the event. Found a stock of several kits bought a while back which are either unstarted or only part finished.

The weirdest find - an Airfix 9F that had been finished and weathered to be a static example but for some reason I have then stripped off the chassis which is now in a fully dismantled state in the box!

• RMweb Gold
On 20/07/2023 at 18:11, john new said:

Next show demo will be Bridport on Saturday 29th July. I've been sorting through the various wagons in my as yet unweathered collection ready for the event. Found a stock of several kits bought a while back which are either unstarted or only part finished.

The weirdest find - an Airfix 9F that had been finished and weathered to be a static example but for some reason I have then stripped off the chassis which is now in a fully dismantled state in the box!

Getting ready for Bridport - display stand built from two surplus shoe racks (Turned upside down) and scrap/recycled material form stock.

Shoe rack IMG_1694 copy.jpg

shoe rack IMG_1696.jpg

shoe rack IMG_1698.jpg

Edited by john new
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Bridport show (see above) went well. Next demo slot will be the Weymouth Show at the end of October (28th & 29th). Show poster PDF is below.

Possibly, this post might be better in the mojo and state of mind thread as after several listless days since coming back from a mini-staycation my mojo has begun to return. The four ex-Beaminster Road boards I took on have now been partially stripped with the track removed; however, I've not yet stripped back all the scenery. Yesterday and today have been deballasting the track. The short bits and points via soaking in a bowl of warm water yesterday and the longer one's just finished this lunch time after a long soak in cold water overnight in a dustbin filled with cold water. 

No idea yet what either the 16ft run of those boards will be used for or the recovered PECO code 75 track and three points. Both those are currently stored as a pending project as I must do a bit more work on Phoenix Yard - pointless building it as a test bed and not finishing it ready for using it for testing.

WMRA-exhibition-2023-2.pdf

Edited by john new
Clarity, 2nd link added and a typo corrected.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 14/09/2023 at 14:28, john new said:

Bridport show (see above) went well. Next demo slot will be the Weymouth Show at the end of October (28th & 29th). Show poster PDF is below.

Possibly, this post might be better in the mojo and state of mind thread as after several listless days since coming back from a mini-staycation my mojo has begun to return. The four ex-Beaminster Road boards I took on have now been partially stripped with the track removed; however, I've not yet stripped back all the scenery. Yesterday and today have been deballasting the track. The short bits and points via soaking in a bowl of warm water yesterday and the longer one's just finished this lunch time after a long soak in cold water overnight in a dustbin filled with cold water. 

No idea yet what either the 16ft run of those boards will be used for or the recovered PECO code 75 track and three points. Both those are currently stored as a pending project as I must do a bit more work on Phoenix Yard - pointless building it as a test bed and not finishing it ready for using it for testing.

WMRA-exhibition-2023-2.pdf 683.21 kB · 5 downloads

Weymouth show going well, several wagons weathered and also a few road vehicles.  Some links to images needed for tomorrow.

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/essopickeringa - single wagons

The folder of TTA and TEA tank wagons. - https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/fueltankwagons 

Relevant RMWeb thread. 

Video link jumbo freigthliner hoppers. - 

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A problem loco now fixed. A Hornby (ex-Lima?) Class 37 which was puzzling me due to an intermittent running issue. Bought cheap as seen from a local 2nd hand book shop who also stocks a few rail bits from time to time - vendor who I trust said he'd been told it did run. Not surprised it didn't initially as everything internally was covered in grot as were the wheels; however, after a clean and lube it ran fine on my rollers and up and down a bit of test track. Took it to the club test track - dead.

Repeated action at home then 2nd week at club, again zilch.

Problem finally tracked down to the bogie connection clip not staying on during the 6 mile drive to club. The old, no longer reliable, Hornby clip replaced by two home made brass one's with strip extracted from a paper fastener. Hopefully these friction fit clips will stay on better than the Hornby original that had become misshapen, hence the falling off!

Cl 37 mech IMG 1754 copy.jpg

Edited by john new
Typo spotted on re-reading the thread.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A copy of my YouTube video created from the PowerPoint slide show running when I demo at local shows. Note no sound commentary. Created as my first trial of exporting from PowerPoint.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Progress update: Nothing much done on the actual layout so far this winter. I tend to work on it outside in the warmer weather.

Back to the model railway club last night after missing it over the Christmas break and a couple since where the weather was bad and I didn’t feel like crossing the causway off the island. Started work on weathering some more freight stock, six wagons and a brake van now about half finished.

• RMweb Gold

Started the necessary, but slow process, of starting to paint the rails and roughing out the sizes for some concrete roadway panels. Being done whilst listening to the Watford v Saints game. The rails - about 1/3 to 1/2 now painted.

• RMweb Gold
On 28/01/2024 at 18:46, john new said:

Started the necessary, but slow process, of starting to paint the rails and roughing out the sizes for some concrete roadway panels. Being done whilst listening to the Watford v Saints game. The rails - about 1/3 to 1/2 now painted.

After another afternoon listening to the footy - the rail painting now completed, a highly relaxing and therapeutic exercise.

A weird one though. When I initially made the backscene I fitted it with bolts into tee nuts. That was deliberately done so that it would (should) be removable for access. Undid the bolts earlier with the intention of getting easier access to the rear side of the rails and found it stuck (glued?) to the base frame. One for a month or two's time when it is warm enough to work outside and try to establish why the thing is stuck as I have no recollection of glueing it up.

Next job, making sure all stray paint is off the rail heads and then more test running before track ballasting.

Edited by john new
Typo and omitted word.