The Ashover Light Railway

rogerfarnworth

This is another thread prompted by reading old copies of "The Railway Magazine" from 1950. The September 1950 magazine carried a short article about the Ashover Light Railway which had finally closed over the majority of its length to freight traffic in March 1950.

The post below is the first of two.

http://rogerfarnworth.com/2019/01/15/the-ashover-light-railway-part-1

I hope you enjoy it. Much of the information comes from three sources ... The Railway Magazine, Wikipedia, and the website of the Ashover Light Railway Society. The Society's website is well worth a visit.

http://www.alrs.org.uk

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi Roger,  Have enjoyed your work on the Ashover Railway.  I'm currently working on my next article for Model Rail magazine and hoping to design a 009 layout that includes as much of the branch as possible.  Do you know if any of the published books contain all or a substantial amount of track plans?  And perhaps most important can be purchased for a sensible price!  Kind regards Paul 

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 15/12/2021 at 17:52, Dzine said:

Hi Roger,  Have enjoyed your work on the Ashover Railway.  I'm currently working on my next article for Model Rail magazine and hoping to design a 009 layout that includes as much of the branch as possible.  Do you know if any of the published books contain all or a substantial amount of track plans?  And perhaps most important can be purchased for a sensible price!  Kind regards Paul 

interesting to see this layout based on ALR, for sale at Osborn's--

https://www.osbornsmodels.com/00-9-the-ashover-light-railway-90-x-100-46432-p.asp

--looks quite an interesting plan that links together Clay Cross, and Ashover Butts.

there is also this earlier RMWeb thread on the topic--

all the best,

Keith

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, tractionman said:

interesting to see this layout based on ALR, for sale at Osborn's--

https://www.osbornsmodels.com/00-9-the-ashover-light-railway-90-x-100-46432-p.asp

A clever way of selling Peco track - obviously took some work to design it and make it fit, but as far as I can tell instead of a layout you just get a box of track as listed.

• Agree 3

44 minutes ago, Mike Bellamy said:

A clever way of selling Peco track - obviously took some work to design it and make it fit, but as far as I can tell instead of a layout you just get a box of track as listed.

Hi Mike, although not one of mine, the plan comes from the Peco Narrow Gauge Planbook. Regards Paul

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Ken Plant's Oakwood Press (1st or 1987 edition) 'The Ashover Light Railway' has 4 pages of track & station diagrams. The Gratton (Wild Swan) book fetches silly prices.

Dava

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Dava said:

Ken Plant's Oakwood Press (1st or 1987 edition) 'The Ashover Light Railway' has 4 pages of track & station diagrams. The Gratton (Wild Swan) book fetches silly prices.

Dava

Thanks Dave,  I found a way round it. The two termini are shown in reasonable detail, albeit heavily compressed or modified (or both in some cases). I decided to leave some sections on a multiple choice basis (you can choose your own favourites) leaving purchase of the book to any potential builder if they so wish.  It's good to know they're available and I'll mention the detail in the script. I have to say, some second hand book purchases and model railway equipment have become ridiculously overpriced, often with vague descriptions that are either untrue or frankly of very little use.  I think there's probably another topic here, it's been bugging me for some time.  Thanks again, Paul

• Like 1