OO Works Drummond LSWR K10 4-4-0 (Small Hopper)

PrestburyJack

Guest Jack Benson
13 hours ago, Rich46 said:

Thanks very much Jack for that information. I've done a quick search online and apparently there were seven watercart tenders involved. They didn't stay permanently with heir engines but were swapped around. The main users of this tender were 135,144,380,382,386,391 & 392  but they weren't exclusive users. Have you seen photographic evidence of 30382 in BR days with the watercart tender? I haven't found any in my short and not very extensive search. However 389 was not a known user and survived until 1951 so I might change my model's identity to this loco in Southern sunshine lettering as it will save me having to change the tender. 

This image on my blog was scanned from a postcard that read ‘Raynes Park 1948 K10 382’ possibly the last image of the loco in service though there is another image of 382 on the scrap line at Eastleigh in much the same configuration. 

spacer.png

The transition years of ‘48 onwards were the last of a few classes of Southern 4-4-0s that had avoided the cutter’s torch due to wartime requirements. Thankfully there are few (very few) images of them still hard at work but the introduction of BLPs was their final flourish. 

StaySafe

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my K10 changed from BR emblems and numbers as supplied to more accurate Southern details. The most difficult part was removing the smokebox door number plate without damaging the top hinge. I managed it using a scalpel, fine pointed file, fine wet & dry paper and finally polishing with Brasso wadding. The decals were from Modelmaster applied over gloss varnish patches. When dry I matt varnished the whole cab and tender sides. I can't see from the prototype photos but presumably the number would have been repeated on the front and tender bufferbeams ? If so I will have to source suitably sized SR numbers. Richard

K10 on Bridport Viaduct 1.jpg

K10 corrected.jpg

K10 revised.jpg

K10 on parcels train.jpg

• Like 6

I've just bought both volumes of Steaming Through Wessex. Wonderful film of Yeovil Town and Junction in the late 40's. It's so interesting  to see film from this era as opposed to the 60's. Douglas Seaton's son Clive looks to be the same age as me. What a wonderful life to be taken to watch trains at these locations! Richard  

• 2 months later...
Guest Jack Benson

Rich,

Apart from 30382 none of the K10s carried the BR number, ironically 389 outlasted 30382. 

As my timeframe runs ‘49-51, many of the locos and stock wear a variety of liveries, some locos are still in all-black utility livery carrying BR numbers (SR sunshine) and SOUTHERN on the tender, others with BR sans gill numbers. All these are careworn after almost decade of hardwork  and minimal workshop time. 

By contrast, there are a couple of full mixed traffic liveries, absolutely brand new and minimal weathering, finally two in BR goods black, resplendent with unicycling lion and smokebox door plates. 

The overall effect is a few small black locos (only the Ruston 48DS is green) the exception is the hulking brute of an H15 which illustrates the huge change in LSWR motive power during the first twenty years of the 20th century. 

That’s it, StaySafe

Edited by Jack Benson

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the information Jack.The early 50's are an interesting period which I've only recently started to take serious note of. I managed to buy a D15 on ebay. Finished in Southern Railway livery I am changing it to BR period with the short stovepipe chimney and smokebox number plate. I've bought a Youchoos T9 sound chip for it. I've also got an A12 Jubilee on order which I believe never strictly made the BR period.

Cheers

Richard

Guest Jack Benson

Richard,

Try this link  for more information about the D15, there were only ten examples but there were details differences.

StaySafe

Edited by Jack Benson

Jack,

Thanks very much. Very interesting and useful photos. I like the the look of Beaminster Road. Looks like a great model! My model of Bridport is based on similar conjecture, i.e. the LSWR extended from Dorchester to Axminster via Bridport with a branch going off to Charmouth. The layout of the station is based on Okehampton but with a bay platform for the Charmouth trains. However I've still got a huge amount to do and being sited in the garage makes it difficult to work on during the winter.

Keep safe and thanks once again for your help. Richard